Cottage cheese?

• I am on week 2 day 2 of my first challenge and am looking for a little variety in my meals.  In other words, I am about chickened out. :-)  I know that cottage cheese is on the approved list but really want the most out of this challenge.  Any thoughts on how it ranks compared to chicken.  What about shrimp?  Also on the list but in all my reading on this forum I don't see anyone mention it.  Thanks for the help!  You all are great! 

• Cottage cheese is one of your best proteins. It is high in amino acids. They make fat free, 1%, 2%, 3% and 4%. I use 1% but just purchased the fat free to try.

I love shrimp. Used it during the challenge. Will continue to do so. I spray a light coating of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking, sprinkle with lemon pepper, garlic and seasoning salt. Mmmmm!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Oh, and salmon, mmmmmm! Spray the pan with extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking, sprinkle with garlic, lemon pepper and seasoning salt, drizzle a very little bit of sugar free maple syrup. Cook at 420 for about 12 minutes. Mmmmmm! You could put a row of asparagus on the same pan. Spray with EVOO, sprinkle with garlic salt. Mmmmmm! Even my kids like salmon now!

Keep the faith!

• Cottage cheese with pineapple (yum!) or cottage cheese mixed with some healthy yogurt (be careful to read the labels- anything with too much sugar or more than 17 carbs is a little much.

Also, I love cottage cheese on a piece of whole wheat pita bread, mixed with some pest sauce (dabbed off grease) and sun dried tomatos. Toss some chicken and sprinkle a pinch of low fat mozzarella cheese on top- perfect!

Stacy Lynn

• Renee and Stacy-  Wow, you all are fast!  Thanks so much for the info.  I bought the 2% snack sizes which I thought tasted pretty good (really didn't think I was going to like cottage cheese).

Thanks for all the recipe ideas, I can't wait to try them.  About how many shrimp do you call a serving?

• That is really dependent upon the size of the shrimp. Ladies are generally aiming for 20g of protein or about 4 oz.

Keep the faith!

• I have grilled shrimp with cajun seasonings...cook it up on my George Foreman grill; that is the only grill that is safe enough for me to operate! lol! :0)

Renee, I wanna come to your house for dinner! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I love to cook for folks! My doors are open. I have enough dinnerware to feed 20. We could always breakout the paper plates. I am looking forward to BBQ'ing again. Can't wait to see what creations I can concoct.

Don't forget about our fabulouso chicken spaghetti :-)

Carmelize 1 medium yellow onion with LOTS of minced garlic in a hot pan

Add a bit of extra virgin olive oil

Add 1 whole diced red pepper

Add small container of sliced mushrooms

Season with seasoning salt, lemon pepper, MORE garlic, and oregano

Add diced chicken *** (You could use turkey ***, or ground turkey ***)

Once all of that is cooked up...

Add a can of really good quality tomatoes. San Marzano tomatoes are amazing! You can get them at Whole Foods, possibly Trader Joe's too.

Stew it down.

Add whole wheat pasta. I guess you could try brown rice...haven't tried it.

Servings: Make sure that you have 4 oz. of meat and no more than a handful of the pasta for each serving.

Keep the faith!

• That sounds delicious!!  I think I will give it a try this weekend.  OK, now don't laugh at me.... What does "stew it down" mean?  Can you tell you are talking to a novice?

• No worries Genarena! I didn't really learn to cook until the last 5 years or so. You will learn to enjoy cooking when you appreciate the quality of GREAT, healthy food!

Stew it down just means that you want it to stew it down to a sauce. Break the tomatoes up and cover to promote the process. It takes a bit.

Hope you enjoy!

Keep the faith!

• To stew it down, simply simmer while covered until the sauce thicken to a desired thickness.

• Yay! Now I know that Big John can cook for me now :-D

Keep the faith!

• Everyone at work makes fun of me, because every day at break I eat  low fat cottage cheese and whole grain reduced fat triscuit crackers, with a little hot sause on the cottage cheese.  I love to eat that, and it is easy.  Try it sometime, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  Cottage cheese plain, is not that appealing to me, but when eaten with bread or crackers it is so much better.  It goes good with almost any fruit too.  The funny thing about my co workers making fun of me, is that half of them now eat cottage cheese and love it.

• I've been using 1/2 cup cottage cheese / 1/2 yogurt with a small handful of berries mixed in.

• I eat it with strawberries which makes it sweet tasting.  I told my husband it tastes like strawberry cheesecake.  He thinks I'm nuts. :-)