Experts and Champions, help me out! What if I'm still hungry??

• Hi all! I haven't officially started my challenge yet, I am gearing up for a Monday (3/29/10) morning start! My question is this: are we supposed to eat NO MORE than one carb serving, one protein serving and one veggie serving per meal? And with meal replacements, they are just that, replacing a meal...so can we not add something, fruit or veggies, to them?

I fear being hungry (not THINKING I'm hungry, genuine stomach growling, ready to devour anything that is definitely dead and somewhat cooked) but thinking I'm not supposed to eat anything more to obtain the results I want. My understanding of nutrition and muscle building is that we must properly fuel our bodies, and too few calories is detrimental to the process.

My common sense tells me that not everyone is eating one serving of veggies, protein and carbs per meal, or having one meal replacement, and being satisfied and building muscular, calorie burning bodies! Someone please explain this for me...how much is common sense (do I just add fruits and/or veggies until I reach satisfaction)? What if, 45 minutes after a meal replacement or meal, my stomach is growling and I'm feeling starved?

I want to do this right, so please help before my official beginning! Thank you all!!

• The palm/fist portion method has proven effect for hundred or thousands of challengers. Those challengers vary in their goals from 5# to lose, 100+# to lose to just adding muscle. Be sure to keep your water intake throughout the entire challenge. Hunger is not something that most experience. Many experience the difficulty of trying to eat 6 meals and not feeling hungry for the next meal. You may have 6 whole meals, instead of replacements.

Take fear out of the equation. The first few days are an adjustment. Stay strong and focused!

The question that is always offered is...HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Alison-I am starting my 2nd challenge tomorrow as well!

Your body will get used the portions and I agree with Renee, use the palm/fist method and you should be getting plenty of food, but watch what you add as fruits and veggies to your meals.

Do you have the original BFL book?  If you stick to that food list, you should be fine.

Come to this forum often to ask questions and get support!!

Best wishes as you begin your challenge tomorrow!! :0)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Alison...I LOVE your name ;)

If you are consuming the proper portions and eating them 2-3 hours apart six times a day, you shouldn't feel starving hungry.  You also won't be consuming too low of calories.  I have had to play around a bit with portions to not feel hungry too soon, and it may take some time for you to figure that out for your body as well.  For a long time I was just measuring out 1/2 C for my carbs, but then I used BFLMike's method of putting your fist in a bowl and measuring how much water spilled out...my fist was equal to 1 C.  I found 1 C to be too much food, so I went with 3/4 C.  

If you are going to bulk up with extra food to help satisfy your hunger definitely use veggies!  Get used to eating them plain without adding extras (spray butter, sauces, etc...).  I steam mine and use a little Mrs. Dash (I like the Garlic & Herb flavor).

A lot of folks do great with meal replacements and feeling satisfied, I am not one of them, I do end up feeling hungry after only an hour.  I prefer using a protien shake that has little to no carbs and then having that with a peice of fruit or other authorized carb.  Don't be afraid to try the shakes--they may work great for you!  They are a complete meal replacement though, so the only thing you would want to add is veggies if you are still hungry.  

I second Renee & Deb, make sure you are getting all of your water in each day.  I find that it really helps to write down all of the food that I eat, the time of day I ate it, and record my water intake as well.  If I don't write it all down I literally cannot remember the last time I ate or what it was.  It has been key to my success with the busy days that I have.  

I am also starting my 2nd challenge on Monday!  I am excited that we are doing this together, welcome to the group!!

~Aly

• Thanks, all, for the advise! My current diet consists of almost all authroized foods, unless I'm indulging in something. I also drink lots of water, close to 100 oz a day, but I am hoping to increase that for the Challenge. So the switch shouldn't be too hard, as far as food choices go. What will be harder for me is the portions, so I am hoping I adjust quickly to the amount of food suggested. I am 6' tall, so there is quite a bit of body to feed! haha

But again, I appreciate the feedback! I bought Myoplex Lite bars and shakes today, eight each, so I can give them a try and see if they work for me. I'm planning on keeping a food journal, and I can keep track of what's going in, and if I know I'm getting enough calories, I will be able to tough out the hunger issues, which will likely go away after the first couple weeks, as I adjust. THAT'S WHAT I'M HOPING FOR ANYWAY! That's my optimistic approach! I'll keep you all posted as my challenge goes on!!

• There's the spirit...an optimistic approach. That's what got me through 12 weeks. You will do this. Stay future focused!

Keep the faith!

• Ok guys, heres my next question! I just read on this website that to calculate how many calories each person needs they should take their weight and multiply it by 17 if they're moderately active and 20 if they're very active. My goal weight is 150, I'm very active, so 150*20=3000.

That's a LOT more calories than just one serving of protien/carbs/veggies per meal. So...do I increase portions, add meals, add fruits or veggies with meal replacements..?? I know this may seem like silly details...but I just am looking for the BEST way to go about this!?

Thanks!! I Look forward to hearing what you all think about this one!

P.S. That seems like a LOT of calories to me....

• I have know concept of how to count calories. Don't want to. One more time...

Protein is the thickness and width of your palm without fingers.

Carb is the size of your clenched fist

Veggies are a handful.

You will drive yourself crazy with the calorie counting. BFL is simple and IT WORKS! Trust!

Keep the faith!

• Hi Alison, I have to agree with Faithful Renee, I never count calories, I use the palm/fist system of measurement.  This works! If you stick with it and never give up, you will see amazing result, I promise! Hang in there!

Hugs

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• Well I will stop beating a dead horse then! Thanks, everyone! I'm beginning my Challenge today and am looking forward to it!!! Can't wati to see how MUCH I can accomplish!! Have a great day, everyone!

• Alison I will make one comment to you.  If you are 6 feet tall your nutrition will be more simply because your hands are larger than a woman that is 5 feet tall.    If you find yourself doing everything right and are still hungry, let me know.  Simply send me a conversation request and we will look at exactly what you are doing.  I suggest you give it a full two weeks.  If you are eating every three hours and not feeling HURT, ANGRY, LONELY OR TIRED (H.A.L.T.) and still having hunger pangs we will break it down then.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory