How much sugar?

• I am a little confused as to how much sugar intake is acceptable. I know the answer is "as little as possible" and I believe I am doing fairly well, but I am going out of my way to eat almost everything sugarless and it makes it really hard to even have a cup of coffee sometimes. I am trying not to be compulsive with it, you know? I really need to take protein bars with me to work and school sometimes  but some of them have like 5 or 10 grams of sugar; should I be avoiding them?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Katie P.

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• Katie,

great question.  the bars should be for emergency only because of the sugar.  if at all possible pack a ready shake or try to plan ahead and pack some healthy alternatives.  i have a little backpack style cooler that i will pack some HB eggs and maybe some carrots and an apple.  there are plenty of fun ideas.  

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE

• I found these bars called "Think Thin" at Whole Foods.  They are sugar free and have 20 grams of protein.  I picked one up to try them and it was very tasty!  I'll try to see if I can find a link online.  I'm wondering if it might be a better choice than the Myoplex (shhh you didn't hear me say that :)

• Watch out Heather!! They'll kick you off the forum for telling of an alternative to Myoplex! LOL!

I'll have to check out the Think Thin bars. Sounds like a good choice, especially w/ no sugars. Do you know what they use to sweeten it with?

• Here is the info.  It looks like they use sugar alcohols. 

http://www.thinkproducts.com/thin-creamy-peanut-butter.php

• Thanks! I don't know a lot about sugar alcohols but I do know Myoplex bars have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. (yuck) Wish EAS would make one without that stuff in them. (but they do taste awesome!) haha!

• Sugar alcohols are actually a form of a carb rather than a sugar.   It is what is found in most natural sweetners like sorbitol.  It is absorbed slowly by the body and therefore does not cause an insulin spike like sugar does.  

Here is some info I found  lowcarbdiets.about.com/.../sugaralcohols.htm

• Thanks Heather!!

• Thanks for the advice, all!!

I found some bars that are called Natures' Plus (brand) "Ultra Energy Bars". They are all-natural, vary from 20-25g protein, and are packed with whole foods and lots of vitamins and minerals ($30/box of 12, tho, yikes!!!) They are from 6-9g sugar and low-glycemic. They taste fabulous! Almost perfect, except for the sugar....

www.naturesplus.com

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• oh man take it from me and a million others... sugar alcohols are BAD NEWS! Hahahah!... if it ends in "alitol"  (malitol, sorbitol, etc) you might as well lock yourself in a closet because you will be tooting ALL NIGHT! We renamed that crap "fart-itol". I would steer clear if you have any social functions planned!  :)