12 Weeks Complete!!!

• I posted half-way through my first 12-Week Challenge a while back. I'd like to thank everyone for the words of encouragement.

When I first started my challenge I was 358lbs. My goal was to lose 30 pounds in 12 weeks. I had no idea how much I would lose. I was so out of shape, so dramatically unhealthy. I didn't think I would be able to walk up a flight of stairs let alone lose 30 pounds.

I finished my 1st 12-Week Challenge on Sunday, July 10th 2011. My final weigh in came in at 298 pounds. That is 60lbs lost.

I feel amazing compared to before. I am finally playing basketball again, slowly, but sooner or later I should be back into a competitive shape.

I didn't follow the rules of photographing myself. I will have better photos taken for my next round. However, please see my before and afters from my 1st 12-Week Challenge below.

Thanks again to everyone who hit me up with words of support. I'm starting Round 2 today. I'm shooting for another 40lbs.

— David

• Dude, that is AWESOME!!!  Take a couple of weeks active rest, then get challenge 2 started!!!  Again, GREAT JOB!!!

PS>. I think I may have replied to another thread that you posted it.  I STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest taking at least 1 week active rest, if  not 2!!  If you are doing BFL properly, your body REALLY needs some rest..   Seriously. You've made great strides.  I think you'll be surprised how much you continue to lose during the active rest period and you'll be ready to go in a couple of weeks!   Play more bball, do low impact workouts etc etc, but get the rest!!  PLEASE..

• Bloody great effort mate.... keep punching cause you look great NOW

I went out walking through the city center, it happened just the other day. Sometimes Sydney Harbor in the winter, blows a little luck my way.

• Hey dburg30. Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any good information on active rest? I know that continuing to eat properly will be a part of that 2 week period. I'd like to get more of your feedback...

My friend wants me to start doing circuits with him. This could be a cool chance to do 2 weeks with him and see where my level of fitness is. The circuit training he does is not part of my BFL training, however, it is a great mix of cardio and calisthenics (sprints, suicide sprints, inch-worms, squat jumps, burpees, push-ups and so-forth). I would like to remain active with out doing any harm to myself. I don't want to burn out, however, I would like to continue to loose weight and get into shape so I can play in a Men's Rec BBall league by this winter.

If you don't mind answering a few questions for me for my own personal knowledge. What is the 2 week rest period for? What low impact exercises do you suggest?

• I guess I would call it 'maintenance practice' lol.. You still want to eat properly (of course, that's what got most of us in trouble to get to this point)  But the exercise, maybe things like, well playing basketball, just in the pool swimming / playing around, light cardio, so not 8's, 9's and 10's, but more 5's 6's and 7's.. Still working and exercising, but not really stressing your muscles.   Weights for sure lay off of considerably during the rest period.   The rest is there, for, well, rest!!   You've pushed your body for 12 weeks, and if you've done it right you've REALLY pushed it(and from the looks of your photos, you have) !

Your body needs more then just the 1 day of rest after 12 weeks.  It needs to heal itself, and your mind and body need a vacation from the strict schedule you've been keeping.   Trust me, I lost like 4-5 lbs during my 2 weeks active rest, so you'll still make progress!!

• Congratulations!!  Stay strong and keep pushing forward!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Wow, You did awesome and I bet you feel a lot better overall about your fitness too!  Keep up the great work and congratulations on your change.

• Excellent work.. Great job... that's really inspiring. I would recommend taking the AR as well.  Just finishing up my second challenge and it is more mental than physical. The rest helped me. Also, I lost 7 pounds during my 2 week AR just by eating clean and doing fun stuff. I did kettleworx 3 times a week (20-30 minute) sessions during my AR. Just wanted to try something different. But focus on FUN stuff because C2 will be challenging.  

If it's going to be... It's got to be me

• Yea, buzzman, good point.  After the first challenge, I agree, it's much more mental.  Now, you still have to do the right things, but after seeing 'fast' changes, sometimes it starts to slow down some. Not for everyone, but sometimes.   You REALLY have to be focused on eating / exercising to keep it going.  I've gotten to 65 lbs down and it's just REALLY starting to slow down.  It's still happening, but it's much slower.  These last 20 lbs or so that I want to get rid of are going to take a while longer!   Plus I'm finally adding some more muscle so that will make it look like I'm not losing weight, when I probably am, but also gaining muscle!!  I keep watching my pouch around the middle, just have it to really get rid of then I know I'll be heading towards my final goal!!  

• Here is a good article on active rest for you:

Getting the Most out of Your Time Between Transformation Challenges

by: Michael Harris 3/18/2007

Are you planning another challenge after finishing the one you’re in now? If so, the material that follows should be of some interest and some help to you. It seems like roughly one-half of those who start and complete a 12 week transformation challenge are planning on going into another one in order to get into the shape that they want.

The first thing I want to ask you–actually I’m begging you–is to NOT GO IMMEDIATELY from one challenge right into the next one without a break. Here’s why. Whether you really feel like it or not, a transformation challenge takes a toll on you. The early rising, strenuous exercising and relatively strict dieting are good for you–but over 12 weeks time they can also wear you out. You deserve AND NEED a week or more of rest before you get back into the gym. Think about this: If you go right from one challenge to another, what you’re really doing is taking a 24 week challenge. That’s nearly 6 months, and it’s longer than most should be doing. Most second and subsequent challenges that occur without a break between tend to be very unproductive and unhappy experiences. They also tend to be more often plagued by injuries, illnesses and overtraining effects.

My favorite fitness author, Albuquerque attorney Clarence Bass, coined the phrase "active rest." That’s what you need to do between challenges. What you need to do, for at least one week and preferably two, is to stay clear out of the gym and away from the weight lifting routine entirely. And don’t worry about losing muscle mass, you won’t. The phenomenon called muscle memory will put you right back into the groove very quickly once you are rested. In fact, you might actually pick up some muscle mass due to the well-deserved rest. Your joints will thank you for it too.

Instead of lifting weights, do one or two of your favorite non-resistance training types of exercises. I do lots of calisthenics such as pushups, pullups, and squat jumps. I also do some bike riding or stair climbing. I take very long walks with my dog. Others enjoy things like swimming, mountain climbing, hiking, or even chopping wood and heavy gardening activity. This gets you out of the old groove, works different areas of your body, and still gives you plenty of fat-burning and fitness forming activity.

As for the diet, stick with the six meals a day. But, add in a bit of red meat if you are inclined, and experiment with some non-typical foods. This might be a good time to try a little of that natural peanut butter you’ve been craving. I eat a fair amount of non-tropical fruits and berries as carb portions during my rest periods. And I eat some lean red meat which has lots of creatine in it. Don’t make your two weeks off a two week free day or you’ll regret it.

Consider your two weeks active rest a working vacation. You’ll be amazed at your renewed strength, your enthusiastic outlook, and your youthful appearance following your time off. If you don’t do it, you’ll feel like you’re dragging a 100 pound anchor around with you for the next twelve weeks. Which one sounds like the best bet to you?

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/