What does the future look like on BFL?

• For those of us who completed their challenges and met all their goals, how do you carry on afterwards? When I reach my target weight/body shape, do I carry on living on the very same eating plan and exercise plan? Does it get a bit more relaxed or this is how it is for the rest of my life?There are many foods not on the list that I used to eat daily and I see myself going back to them in moderation after the challenges are completed (not bad foods or junk but mostly mangoes, figs, coconut kernels, and many other healthy foods that are not on the BFL approved list).

I have no problem with the weight lifting. What I will have a problem with will be staying on track with cardio, and maybe not the number of meals. I don't see myself doing whey protein any longer than the phase of reshaping my body.

How do you live your life after BFL challenges are completed?

I need to prepare for that future and see what i will be able to do or not do after I complete my challenges.

Thanks

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• if you are deciding to revert back to not doing things like cardio, or eatign certain foods then it is obvious that what you are doing now is not for life. Which is the entire point of the program. I don't understand why you could committ to doing 3 weight training sessions a week, but you couldnt committ to do 3 cardio sessions, especially since cardio is only 20 minutes. You could jump rope in your living room as well without going to a gym.

For myself I would never want to revert back to my old ways. I would only want to improve. Why put all that work and effort in, to let yourself go back to where you started?

• Hi ya,

I have chosen BFL to rid fat and build up asap.. this is so i can go back to Muay Thai/boxing and dance which is what i love!

• Hope this is helpful:

After the Challenge–What Then?
    http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/17/p/2306/27460.aspx#27460

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thanks, Sharon, for Mike Harris' post. It was very helpful. He was right, getting health back is more difficult than maintaining it.

I was hoping for information on how those who completed their cycles maintain themselves successfully.

I have hated cardio for 18 years, and nothing will change that. I know it is not in my future unless it's either walking out in the open or swimming. But from the article, I think the eating plan in general pretty much stays the same.

Mike addressed something i have been thinking of every single free day: avoiding trigger food. It's rather oxymoron. Eat what you really like on free day (which is going to be trigger food), but don't eat trigger food.

I have avoided sugar and cooking using oil completely for two years now. I started eating them on free days and the next day I started to feel all the swings and need to binge again. So obviously, sugar is out for good.

• From my personal experience, I say just keep doing what you've learned.  Never forget where you started.  Live it everyday.  It never gets easier.  In fact I think it's harder because we reach our goals.  Find new fitness goals, don't let negative things get in your head and don't stop the routine.  Change it some but don't stop.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• i would like for you to address why you would do something for a short time only to revert back to old habits and lose your progress.

You really are telling me that 60 minutes of cardio a week is not something you can't maintain? Or are you just being lazy and don't want to do it?

• Charlie, I ignored your first condescending post yet you came back with one MORE condescending post AND calling me lazy. When you write me, you need to write me with respect. If you read my post carefully, you will see that you got it all wrong and perhaps talking about yourself not what I wrote.

Positive input or no input. No more condescending posts, please. Thanks.

PS: IN the FUTURE, with belly dance classes to GIVE, boxing lession to TAKE, swimming to go to twice a week, in addition to my DAILY long walk I can't live without, 60 minutes of high intensity cardio is way too much NOW and FOREVER.So, lazy is not the word here.

• Thanks, Sharon. I think in the future I will take my cardio to the outdoors, add some fruits and healthy foods that are not the BFL list, especially that I am intolerant to half the foods on it anyway. There are many healthy foods that are not on the list already. But between now and this future there will be 20 weeks.

• i wasnt being condescending, you took it that way. I was asking you to address the issue with yourself.

You are stating that what you are doing today you are not willing to do for life, which contradicts the plan to begin with. And yes we all get lazy at some points, that is not me calling you lazy to make fun of. I said it that way to make you think. There are times I dont wanna go to the gym, but rather sleep in. Thats me wanting to be lazy, but I still get up outta bed and force myself to go and once Im there Im glad I went.

• You still don't get to talk to fellow adults that way. And yes your two posts were condescending and lazy doesn't have two meanings for me to "take" it a certain way. But nice try.

• LOL. You think me calling you lazy is offensive? You act like I cursed at you. Have fun.

• It's up to you now how I should think and what is offensive to me? This keeps getting better and better.

OK, lazy Charlie, I wish you a lazy evening. Ciao.

• Ruby, say what you want, but I think when you look at your body fat % and when you look at me, it is clear who is lazy and who is not.

• Whoa - I am not typically the outside voice of reason because I'm so often in the thick of things, but let me interject.  I will leave this post after doing so because I'm not looking to be involved any further.

I actually do not believe that the original post by Charlie that caused offense was that offensive.  Certainly I cannot tell someone how to feel, just saying that I read it more as being a statement that was worded without fluff and taken more harshly than I believe it was intended.  If it was by someone else, it might have even been seen as tough love.  Like everyone, Charlie deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt and remember that the written word comes off differently. 

It escalated from there.  Once we realize that someone has taken us wrong we should try and correct our position or even leave it, but to then be condescending and rude doesn't exactly help our original argument that we weren't being that way.  This is also, by the way, where I typically screw up. 

I believe Charlie then went on the offensive because he viewed what he said as reasonable and then felt attacked.  I don't know for sure.  I'm not in his head. 

It simply went way too far to disrespect someone by saying something offensive about their body fat %.  Being heavy, which I'm not accusing Ruby of being, is not necessarily a sign of laziness, although that's of course sometimes the case.  In my case weight loss certainly takes effort, but I wouldn't say I gain beause of laziness.  I gain because I let myself get down on me.  It's a mental thing, not an unwillingness to get up early and work hard in the gym.  It's feeling I'm not worth doing it.  Someone with a lower body fat % is not necessarily not lazy.  Personal attacks of this nature do not belong here.  Are we not here to learn and support each other?

The first thing is to keep the first thing, first thing. 

On this forum, the first thing is that we are all here to support the common goal of health and that being through BFL.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!