In need of encouragement!

• Hi everyone! So this is the first time that I've ever done a challenge, I started on February 8, and today is the beginning of week 4 for me! I decided to write a post because I've fallen off the wagon for the last week. My fiance had a week off of work and about five days out of the week I had a cheat meal. The first two weeks were amazing, no cravings no nothing! I dropped 7lbs on the scale, I felt amazing! About two weeks before it's that time of the month for me I get uncontrollable cravings and nothing seems to satisfy my hunger, my mood automatically changes and I have trouble exhibiting self control when it comes to diet. Although I have not missed a single workout in the last three weeks, this past week with diet completely fell apart! To be honest I was dreading this time of the month, anything I've ever tried in my life I am thrown off the horse at this time. I know I need to take control and fight through this, but it's been very difficult for the past week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to curb the cravings a little bit? I decided to write this post because I want to make myself accountable and vulnerable and not try to pretend that everything is going great, when it's been hard for the last few days. I feel like I've taken a step backwards, and I know I can't let that get me down. I know I need to keep moving forward and not let this setback throw me off completely. I realize it's only been a week, but I feel terribly disappointed in myself! Today I plan on getting right back on the horse, I haven't stepped on the scale because I'm afraid what this fallback has ultimately done! On a good note, lol, I do feel stronger and I'm starting to feel some more definition in my arms, which gives me encouragement to continue this journey!

• I would say "forgive & forget"......you can't change what you did, what you ate, so don't beat yourself up about it, it's ok!  It is SO hard anyways, then the time of the month just makes it that much harder!!  I don't know what your cravings are (sweets, chocolate), but I think it'll get easier as time goes on for you.  Get back on the wagon this week, ha!!  Good luck to you!

Live TODAY like there's no TOMORROW!

• First the past is the past.. Learn from it but forget it!   If you are getting cravings is it for a certain thing or do you just feel hungry?  

Are you drinking enough water?   I was amazed how much that make a difference.  I could tell when I wasnt drinking enough.   Also, make sure in your 6 small meals you are eating enough.

Stay the hell off the scale!   It's a number is all.  Doesnt mean squat in many instances.  

Do your exercise, drink your water, make sure you are eating enough!

You can do this, you will do this, you want this!  

• Yes, put it behind you and move on.  Do not start over.  There are no do-overs in life.  I do have to say that you have to have your mind in the right place.  I have very short cycles (24-26 days), so I had 3 cycles in my first challenge.  But, I didn't let that derail me.  And, yes, in the past, in the days leading up to my cycle, I have eaten like an inmate on death row.  Set some goals, have some incentive.  When I was in week 4, I went out and bought a new bikini and made an appt. with a professional photographer.  That really kept me in line, knowing I was going to do professional pics at the end.  My 17th wedding anniversary fell at the same time as the completion of my challenge, and I knew I wanted to do a few "fun, but tasteful" pictures for my husband at that time as well.  I am not saying you have to do what I did.  But, maybe reward yourself with a mani/pedi or a massage if you get through that TOM without caving.  Rewards don't just work for kids.  Hang in there, and know you are worth it, and you can do it!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• What is so hard about the program? ok the work outs and finding time for them can be a challenge and buying certain things can be expensive, but do you really want to go back to the old you? I never want to be a size 40 and weigh close to 220... that's my motivation, today I'm 184 and size 34 in pants!

• First and foremost thank you to everyone who responded to my post! Your words of encouragement mean so much to me and are highly appreciated!

Doinit- I think you're absolutely right "forgive and forget"...I think I have a hard time forgiving myself for certain downfalls and then I wind up beating myself up about it and can't move forward. My cravings are both sweet and salty...it's horrible, I could eat and eat and never feel full two weeks before that time! But I know that it's my mind I have to conquer first and my body will follow :)

dburg30- I was drinking loads of water during my first two weeks on the challenge, I was so happy, no cravings, I always felt satisfied and full! You just made a light bulb go off again in my head...I used to drink d-coke, and I completely cut out any and all drinks out of my diet except for water and a cup of tea in the morning. For the past week I had d-coke during some of my cheat meals, and I haven't been drinking nearly enough water as I was the first two weeks...so I'm definitely going to take that to heart and start drinking that water again! Thank you so much! You're so right about the scale, I have been obsessed with the number on the scale for years now, and I think I will take the scale out of the house for a while and just go on by what I feel like in my clothes and the inches I lose! Thank you so much!

BDMom- Yes I'm realizing more and more is that it's my mind that is sabotaging my hard work, if I feel uneasy in my head I start to make wrong choices. It's been a struggle to get my head in the right place and it's always two weeks before the beginning of that time of the month. It's incredible, I always start strong and happy, then everything gets crazy, and as soon as my period is over it's like my brain is cleared from the fog and I'm a completely different person. It's been a struggle for years now, that time has always been what hinders my progress, and I realize I have to fight through it otherwise I'll just keep making horrible choices. Yes, I think I will have to think of something as a reward for myself, that sounds like a great plan to stay on track!

HASAM- Thank you for the blunt honesty :) That's what I need! You're absolutely right! It's not that hard, I started out strong, I felt completely satisfied and happy, I didn't feel deprived! but it's the hormonal changes that us women go through that makes me go off track. It's not an excuse, and I realize I have to fight it! You're right I don't want to be back to where I was, and every little think I do is a step forward to a happier and healthier me!

Thank you again to all of you for your comments, I'm realizing there is so much support in this community and I'm so happy I posted because it definitely helped me clear my head through all of your words of wisdom! I'm going to take today as a new beginning and keep moving forward and not let the past affect my future :)

• BTW, I just looked through your pages and wanted to congratulate all of you on your amazing progress! It definitely helps to see how far everyone has come in their journey!

• It does get discouraging when you step on the scale & see nothing!!!!  I used to be OBSESSED w/that stupid thing......I would get up, weigh, go to the bathroom, weigh, late @ night, weigh......it was tiring!!  So, I FINALLY made my mind up, it's just a #, and moved it outside into our workout room, and have only weighed myself a couple of times on it in the past 8 weeks.  I weighed myself @ the gym last week, and was SO mad that I did (b/c once again......nothing!)  The scale is tricky, but the mirror doesn't lie, and neither does the tape measure!  :-)

Live TODAY like there's no TOMORROW!

• That sounds exactly like what I've been doing! It became like a daily obsession, not once but several times! I definitely need to put it away and just focus on what I feel!

• Evasmommy,

You could ask your doctor for birth control pills. Some birth control pills will allow you to have only four periods a year... Might want to look into this.

Live life with passion!

• But please be careful with the pill.  My wife had been taking them for a number of years and wound up in the hospital with a blood clot.  It started in her ankle and thankfully went to her lung.  Why I say thankfully is in our opinion that was the least bad, as opposed to her heart or brain..

• Thank you for the advice Mydecade, I've considered that several times but inlight of what dburg30 posted above that is why I have decided against it each time...Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle when the moodswings and cravings come around, but I'm realizing more and more I have to fight it, and I know that birthcontrol may solve some of those issues and I would love that but I'm more afraid of all the other health problems it may cause in the future!

dburg30- Yes that is exactly why I haven't turned to the pill, although I've thought of it many times I've decided against it. I had a very difficult pregnancy, I developed high blood pressure, preeclempsia, and had a seizure right after I had my daughter. Luckily the blood pressure went back to normal afterwards but we want to have more children in the near futur.e I don't know medically if the pill would have any adverse side effects on me trying to get pregnant or the pregnancy, but because of all the problems I had during my first pregnancy I try not to put anything in my body that could potentially complicate anything with my health. I know that some people take it and are perfectly fine but I prefer to not take chances at this point! I hope your wife is doing well now, how is she doing?

• Yes, she's fine.. She just had to go on big time blood thinners for a couple of months and wasnt allowed to eat certain things.  Honestly it was more an inconvenience then anything after we knew what happened.   And of course no more birth control pills lol..

• My advice is talk to your doctor. You have to have risks factors to get a blood clog. Maybe you do not have those risk factors... And in general you have to have been using birth control pills for a long time for something like that to happen.

Live life with passion!

• That''s really good to hear, glad she is doing well! Not having birth control is definitely an inconvenience lol!  Yeah I've been tempted and have seriously thought it over, but for some reason the pill has always scared me. We would really like to start trying for another baby within this year, probably end of summer, so it's important that I get healthy, so I can have the healthiest pregnancy I possibly can. My daughter was born two months premature because of my illness :( But she is doing great now!