Laurie Deemer, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

• :) Thank you for motivating me!

• thank you for being so inspiring!!!  I start my 8th week tomorrow, and am totally getting in the "mind-set" TODAY, for what's to hold in the next 5 weeks!

Live TODAY like there's no TOMORROW!

• Laurie - thanks for inspiring me, also :)

• Wow Laurie, what a remarkable transformation.  Congratulations on all that you achieved and thanks for inspiring so many people through your efforts.

One Life, Live Accordingly

• tarzankim, Doin It, Cat Linder, EveryDayCounts -

I was so pleased to log in to the forum today and find that y'all had read my little thread and found something in it to motivate and/or inspire you.  

Doin It:  Starting your 8th week - that's AWESOME!  Many people don't make it that far.  Have you seen many changes yet?  I hope you took your beginning measurements and photos.  Take them again at the end of this week.  I think you'll be very pleased with your progress.

I hope all four of you keep me up to date on your challenges.

I am starting week 3 of my 4th challenge.  It's so great to be back in the BFL ZONE!

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• I did take beginning measurements, and took photos last week, but I really can't (visually) see a difference yet, but I will take pics. again @ the end of this week.  What did you do for your cardio??  I'm changing that up THIS week.....I feel like my body is in a "rut"!

Live TODAY like there's no TOMORROW!

• My first challenge I did HIIT on my home elliptical the entire 12 weeks, just the 20 minutes plus about an extra 5 minutes to cool down more.

My second challenge, I was really mostly interested in losing bodyfat so I would do the HIIT for 20 minutes (still on the elliptical) then I frequently would keep going at a steady state for another 20 minutes (maybe at a level 6 or 7).  I got that idea on Hussmanfitness.org.  I haven't been to that site in over a year, but I assume it still has a tab for BFL pointers.

I tried to do it first thing in the morning, but frequently had to do it after work.... ALWAYS in a fasted state of at least 3 hours.

I hope that helps.

• Hi Laurie, congratulations!!! Your transformation inspired me to start my BFL Challenge today! I've done the program before and had good results but never complete the full 12 weeks.  I'm now 41 and getting married in August...I plan to do 2 back to back challenges (a one week break in the middle!) so I can show up lean, strong and committed on the big day :) I'm currently at 180 lbs (am 5'6") and would like to reach a goal weight of 130-140.  I am a size 12/14 in clothes and would like to get to a size 6/8.  Can you share how much weight/clothing sizes you dropped? It looks significant in the pix!! :)

2010 was a difficult year (family health issues, a move to a new city, job stuff) but I'm ready to start a new chapter.  Thanks for the inspiration and again, big congrats to you!

• BFLbride2b (I like your username!) -

This is just such an honor to be able to inspire and help so many people who are ready to change their lives.  That wedding in August is a wonderful motivator!

If you really commit to these challenges, you should be able to lose 40-50 pounds by then.  Do you have the original book?  Of course it outlines the food and exercise (btw - I use the authorized foods list in the BOOK, not the website;  the book is more restrictive which you'll need to achieve big results like you want).  But it also really helps to prepare you mentally for what you are embarking on.  You mentioned that you have never completed a full 12-week challenge in the past.  I really want you to read the book (even if you read it before) and wrap your head around what you are about to do.

Write down your goals.  Make some self-promises.  When I'm in a challenge, my self-promises are:  absolutely NO unauthorized foods except free day, NO alcohol except free day, I will not miss ANY workouts, I WILL drink at least 80 oz of water every day.  Really think about what a promise is.  Imagine that you promised your child something.... would you break that promise?  You have to believe that a promise to yourself is just as important as a promise to anyone else in your life.  

Believe in yourself!!!  

To answer your questions, I started challenge #1 in a size 18 and finished it in a size 12.  I lost 32 pounds.

After challenge #2, I was down to a size 8.  (I am 6' tall).  I lost an additional 18 pounds for a total of 50.

I went from 201.5# to 151.5#.

Today I weigh 155-156 and wear size 10.  I am currently in challenge#4 to get my bodyfat back down where I like it.  My bodyfat started at about 35% and ended at 16%.  (I'm 21% now).

I'm glad your life has settled down now so you can concentrate on YOU!

Let me know how everything goes.

Laurie

• Too skinny??? I like you in the pictures in Red, anyone else agree?

• HASAM -

Yes... I agree with you.  That is why I now wear a size 10, rather than a size 8.  My bodyfat was a bit too low.  I become very bony through the clavicles when I'm that lean.  My lower body still had plenty of fat (I hate my thighs).  Since then I have taken up running to try to concentrate on my legs.

At the time, I wanted to be able to say that I lost "50" pounds on BFL.  Been there, done that.  I'm happy now to say that it was 46 instead.

• Hi Laurie, thanks so much for your advice.  I did get the BFL book out last night and started re-reading it.  Wow, so many good points in there that were great reminders!  Yesterday ate according to plan and did my cardio last night (in the form of a Kangoo Jumps Boot Camp class, trainer uses intervals as well as resistance training so a bit of a combo! BTW, I think you mentioned you were doing running...the Kangoos are great for that - heck of a workout but doesn't kill your joints! can google Kangoo Jumps and get their site - no, I don't sell them or anything, am just a fan :)  I was thinking about why I haven't completed a challenge and its because I have gotten results mid-challenge (not to goal, but in range) and then I start easing up or "celebrating".  So this time around will be doing more meditation / visioning type practices as well to see this as a lifestyle...cuz I don't want to end up back where I am again, it's too much like the Groundhog Day movie!!!!! :)

• You're very welcome.  It's very common to ease up when we reach our goal.... sort of an entitlement thing.  My weight-loss yo-yo'ing has been much like that movie (that was a funny analogy).  Maintenance is by far the hardest part of this...... that's where the "for LIFE" comes in.  

I believe you will do it this time!  Keep me posted.

• I am 45 and starting the challenge next Monday. Did you use the standard BFL book or did you use the BFL for Women with Pamela Peake? And did you supplement a lot with BLF products? Thanks and by the way, you look great...I am so ready to start really living my life....I pray this will be my turning point.

• Hi GayleAnn,

I recommend you get the original book with Bill Phillips' picture on the cover (not the women's version).

As for supplements, the only thing I used were Myoplex Lite shakes for meals 1 and 4 (the shakes are more nutritious than the bars).  

I am so pleased to hear that you are ready to change your life.

Set goals and make your self-promises.

Contact me any time for guidance.

I believe this WILL be your turning point.... you MUST believe that, too.

All the best,

Laurie

(Thank you for the kind compliment.)