Abs - help

• Ok, I'm 4 weeks into my 2nd challenge...down from 219 to 180 lbs...waist size down from 40 to 34.  I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results.   However, I still have the last remanants of fat around my abdomen......can pinch 2-3 to inches and it's very loose.  In fact, the rest of my body is so tight, my abdomen feels very uncomfortable and the "looseness"  in my abdomen seems much more noticeable.  It loks a little weird beacuse i now have som much muscle all over..... I can really feel the six pack underneath but now want it to show.  My goal over the next 8 weeks is to get my body fat % down to 10%...had a prior post on this.    Please tell me that the abs will come and the skin will tighten up....I am willing to work harder over the 8 weeks to get there.    I am eating super clean and following BFL to the letter.   Just looking for some encoragment.advice......

• and, yes, i now realize that my spelling sucks....

• Ok, you are 4 weeks in and have lost close to 40#...that's an awesome challenge start.  You've got the most difficult 8 weeks left, so let's get some patience going for the time being.  You are doing a great job, but must absolutely make it to the end and enter so it will count.  

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.  Just keep your focus on the full 12 week challenge and the results will be there.  Less food is not more, if what you are doing is working, don't cut anything back.  Keep an eye on your BF% and make sure it continues to drop along with your waist measurement.  If both of those continue to fall, you don't need to change anything.  

Hang in there!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• And I don't care about your spelling... :o)

• Champster:  I beieve he has lost 40#'s in his first challenge & the first four weeks of this challenge combined.

I agree with everything Michelle has said.  However, I have some loose skin on my stomach & have accepted it as part of who I am.  I am 43 years old (as of today) and have had two children (that is my excuse, anyway..ha).  No matter how firm the rest of my body gets, my stomach remains a little soft, and I have loose skin.  It frustrated me during my first challenge that everything else was firming up so nicely but my abs weren't.  Once your skin stretches out and then goes back down, sometimes the elasticity is lost.  I have friends who have had more children than I have, and their skin just bounces right back.  I think some of it is genetic and I can't change that aspect.  I just lift heavy, HIIT hard & eat clean, and hope for the best.  Let's face it, we are in a better place than we were this time last year, right?  Celebrate the small victories, and try not to concentrate so much on the negative stuff.  We tend to be harder on ourselves than we need to be.  Best of luck to you finishing up the next 8 weeks.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I've asked MichelleT to post her before and afters she's lost 104# and has a visible six pack.  

• Yup, it can be done. I was 43 then... 45 now... and the abs are still visible.  :>

Oh, and the before was already with 25 or 30 pounds gone. 

How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I'm committed to?  Anthony Robbins

• If you can't see the pics, they are on her profile.

• This thread reminds me so much of why I love this community, everyone is always willing to help.  It's just freaking awesome!!

• Wow, she looks amazing.  Thanks so much for sharing.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thank you !!!  

MichelleT - you look fantastic !   I now know that it can be done.... any advice would be appreciated.  And yes, I am on my second challenge, 4 weeks in.   I have lost approx. 40 lbs. to date.   I am 5'10"/179lbs (male) and estimate by BF% at 17.5%.   I am shooting for 10% BF which will be very difficult, but I'm up for it.  Based on my medium build and history,  my weight might end up around 165 or so.  However, I am really trying to build muscle while getting the BF% down so that I don't get too small (165 is pretty light).     I just don't want end up with 2-3 inches of loose skin around my stomach..it's already driving me nuts !

• Highplainsdrifter - I'm  more or less in the exact position you are. I'm male, 4 weeks into C2 (or at least my version of it). I'm down from 200lb to 180, waist from 36in - 33in so far. My goals now are the same as yours - get that last layer of fat off.

From surfing around the web, I'm feeling that the traditional BFL programme is a little too high-carb for a real cutting process to happen as quickly as I'd like, and those abs / other muscles to really show better than they are.

So I'm low carbing now - trying to find the right level for me, but right now I'm shooting for as low as I can go without running out of energy al the time. 100g / day should be achievable, though I've heard people can go as low as 60g / day. To do this, I'm cutting one of my Myoplex shakes out / day and replacing it with a pure protein shake, cutting my lunch / afternoon snack carbs as low as possible (12g / max), and having no carbs whatsoever in meal 6. I started this week, will let you know how I get on!

• Oh, and one other thing - I'd reccomend a couple of supplements, if you're not taking them already:

1 - CLA - really does the trick, from what I can tell in my own diet. There are a number of scientific studies that suggest it has geniune fat-burning benefits

2 - Creatine - I've tried both Monohydrate and Ethyl Ester recently. Noticed some big gains whilst I was on Ethyl Ester, but that might well have been just a question of timing (I lost the weight and gained the muscle right when you're supposed to on BFL - don't know if it was the Ethyl Ester that was doing the work!). However, I've heard and read some amazing things about Kre-Alkalyn, so I'm waiting for some of that to come through the post, and will try that one out soon too.

I take a handful of other bits and pieces, but those two are the ones I'd reccommend for the fat burning.

• I agree with Asaldo, the CLA will help.

Also, I did the same in cutting carbs but only for a week or so towards end of my 12 weeks.

• Do you have any recommendations for CLA supplements and daily dosage ?  Looks like there are hundreds of brands out there .....