Final Pictures

• I notice throughout the book and in this forum most people choose to get their final "After" pictures shot by a professional photographer. I want to do this, and I'm looking for a photographer in the NY/NJ area who specializes in "fitness photography."

My real question though, is it seems most people choose to get tanned and lightly oiled for their final shots. The tanning is easily accomplished. But I'm wondering, for anyone who finished a challenge and had professional pictures taken, did you use some kind of oil to highlight your muscles in the photo? If so, what did you use? The same kind of stuff bodybuilders use on stage?

If you had your final shots done professionally and would like to share any info about the experience (how you found a photographer, how you felt doing it, posing, etc) I would love to hear about it.

• I just used plain old PAM cooking spray.  Really easy to apply and wipes right off.  Just don't get the butter flavor; you'll smell like dinner (ha).

I found a photographer that does photography on the side as a hobby, and was fantastic.  I was super nervous beforehand; I have never done anything like this before.  He was a true professional and knew what to do with the lighting and how to have me pose, etc....if you find someone who knows their job, it shouldn't be much work for you at all.  On the other hand, I have a male friend who did BFL years ago, and he went to a professional photographer, and didn't know what to do...didn't know how to use the oil, or how to have him pose, and expected my friend to come with all the ideas....

It can be pricey also, so call around and be prepared to pay a bit.  I talked my photographer into 1/2 up front, and the other half when I picked up my photos.

Find pictures of what you like, and take them with you so the photographer has ideas.  I sent my photographer to this site to see before/afters before we even met.

Good luck to you!!!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Actually BDMom, your pictures were one of the ones I had in mind when I wrote this post. So I'm glad you answered this question!

• I've never had professional pics done but will maybe some day. A funny story.....my very first challenge back in 2003 my wife took my final pictures and used a flash for each picture. It was with an old style camera so after the pics were taken I rushed the film over to Shoppers Drug Mart for one hour photo developing. Went back a couple hour later and picked up the photos and was so so disappointed.  I looked totally washed out.....couldn't see any muscle defintion.....I was really bummed. I said to my wife "I've worked too hard for this....we have to re-take them". So I go downstairs and do a mini workout all over again to get the blood pumped into my muscles. This time my wife didn't use a flash and we had softer lighting in the room and they turned out great. So I guess it's always better to get someone who knows how exactly about proper lighting and has done it before.

This is one of the pics from 2003 with no flash and softer lighting.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• JamesG,

I tanned for two months or so before my pics. I enjoy tanning. I used baby oil for the photos. I have hears pam spray works well like BDMom said. Definately use something and really shoe off your definition. There are pics on my profile if you want to see how the baby oil worked out. How far away are you from the end of your challenge?

• Awwww...come on Orrin, it must have taken you all day to rub baby oil on those muscles of yours!!!!  Pam spray works well, but I noticed in my back shots, that the back of my arms weren't hit as much as the rest of my body.  So, I guess my advice is...whatever you use, make sure it is evenly distributed.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I thought it might be TMI but my wife was very helpful making sure the baby oil was evenly distributed. I sure didn't complain. After all isn't that one reason we want to look good? :)

• Nice work fit4life! So if this was taken back in 2003, were you able to sustain this level of fitness until now? Or have you improved even further? I can tell you right now, I don't think I will attain this level of results. I'm in my 9th week and I'm not yet that cut. Well, you've inspired me to try that much harder!

• Orrin, I'm in my 9th week. How about you, are you currently in a challenge? I know you completed two already.

• Also possibly TMI, but I'm guessing you had to have had your whole body waxed? Or did you shave? I didn't think about this when I started!

• JamesG,

I am not currently in an official challenge but I am continuing to eat and workout as though I were. BFL has become a lifestyle for me. I have added a few more carbs to my diet because I want to put some more size on but other than that it is BFL by the book every day and I love it.

I didn't wax but I shaved my whole body. I am not a hairy guy anyway but it did make a huge difference in making definition more visable. I shaved about a week before my pictures as a trial run then shaved every other day or so until my pictures. I have a whole new apprecitation for women who shave every day.

You are in week 9! That is great. The finish line is in your sights. Now is the time to kick it up a few nothces and smash all percieved limits. These last few weeks will test your commitment. Dig deep and finish strong. The best and biggest changes and rewards are yet to come!

Orrin

• JamesG: It has been difficult to maintain that level of leaness year round. If you go to my profile you can see that I did a challenge this year from March 1 till the end of May. My March 1 picture (day1) is exactly as I stated..."too much undisciplined winter eating" and that's why I got so chubby. It's very interesting that my working out at the gym had stayed steady but it was my diet that faltered. That is why I contantly emphasize to others that diet is so so so important. I have been able to keep my bodyfat fairly low during the summer months and am getting ready to leave for Mexico in one week so that has given me insentive to eat clean and stay lean.(gotta show those 20 year old college guys what being is shape is all about...lol)

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• Orrin,

So, you eat six meals a day and work out six times a week without being in an official challenge? Do you still journal everything? I have a hard time staying motivated if I'm not "officially" doing a challenge. If I wasn't journaling and setting goals and doing the mindset exercises, I would have a hard time sticking with it.

I did a challenge two years ago, and after the 12 weeks, I couldn't stay motivated without the Program. I lost everything I had worked for. I'm a little nervous that that might happen again this time. So I'm planning on starting a new challenge after 2 weeks of active rest. I fear if I'm not "officially" in challenge mode, I will go back to my old ways.

• James,

Somewhere during my second challenge BFL became a lifestyle. It is hard to explain but I felt and still feel so incredible each day why would I go back to the old me? That lazy, apethetic, self-desructive man had a very short and boring future. I am so excited about all I can do now the thought of sliding backward doesn't even enter my mind. Does that make sense? I hope I am being somewhat clear about my experience. I still set 12 week goals though not all of them are physical they also have to do with various areas of my life. I still use the success journal. recording my workouts is crucial to ensuring I continue to push myself beyond my percieved limits.

Taking a short break after a challenge is good for the body and the mind. I wrote a post about it called "my active rest experience".  Search for it and read it if you are interested. Definatley start another challenge and continue to do so until everything becomes normal to you and you dont even have to think about it, it is just how you live your life. It will happen just stick to the plan by the book and keep going! Don't worry "old ways" do dissapear and are replaced by healthy BFL living!

Orrin