TEN REFLECTIONS ON DAY 559

• It’s been over 18 months since I started my first BFL challenge.  I’m still going strong, celebrating Day 559 today with a LBWO in the morning, and 20 min. cardio run in the surprisingly warm, sunny autumn afternoon here in the Midwest.   I did some reflection on where I am now, as compared to then, focusing on the “Life” part of the Body-for-Life experience.  My Transformation gave several results that I wanted to share, because these types of things are only hinted at in the book, and would be difficult to anticipate for someone starting or struggling in their first challenge:

1)          Needing a new wardrobe was anticipated, but in the course of losing 10 inches off my waistline I ended up needing 3 of them!  (Although I can usually find clothes in my waist size, most of the pants and shirt styles in the Men’s department are way too baggy, I go to the Young Men’s department to get slimmer cut jeans, and only buy fitted dress shirts.)

2)          My two teenage sons have responsibility for sorting the clean laundry in our house – they’re predictably careless and end up taking my clothes!  It’s OK, as now I can wear theirs!

3)          I drive a compact car.  I always felt it had just enough room for me to fit.  Now, the car feels very roomy and comfy!

4)          Cold.  I am much more sensitive to cold than I have ever been in my life – without that 3 inch layer of blubber to insulate me.  I get chilled in the cool summer night breezes, and I freeze all winter. But on the plus side:

5)          Heat Tolerance. I rarely needed air conditioning last summer!  Even when others around me were dripping with sweat on humid 90 degree days, I was cool and comfortable.

6)          When I met neighbors, friends, and family whom I had not seen since before the start of my first challenge, they did not recognize me.  Once these people did recognize me, they asked “Are you all right”?  Many of them ask my wife if I am sick, because I have lost weight.

7)          People call me skinny.  So far I’ve been polite enough not to call them names.

8)          It’s not only easy to go up flights of stairs, it’s even easier if I take them two stairs at a time!

9)          Cravings for unhealthy “foods” I used to eat went away, as expected.   But, developing cravings for 1) broccoli and 2) turkey on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, and yellow mustard was definitely a surprise.

10)     Store clerks give me better service now than when I was overweight.   You’ve probably heard about that from the other direction, that overweight people get rude service.  I would say my experience confirms that.

Hope these results help motivate some of you just starting out, and show you that you can make real changes, and it is possible you will find the rewards make the changes part of your permanent life style.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thanks for sharing this Jacium. I can relate, especially to the cold. Now I am always turning up the heat in my truck and my wife is always turning it down. And the cravings! It is a great thing not to crave junk. I continually crave a tall glass of cold water. It may sound weird but it is true. And I am so grateful to have pure, clean drinking water bubbling out of the ground and flowing from the taps in my house.

Congratulations on taking BFL beyond a 12 week challenge and making it a lifestyle!

All the best

Orrin

• Great post!!  Thanks for sharing it!  I hope everyone reads it!!!

We will all succeed................together!!

• Well, thanks to you both, Orrin & Sandra, - some time had passed since this post, and I was beginning to wonder if anyone had actually read it!  When changes like these manifest themselves, it brings a tangible reinforcement to BFL as your lifestyle.  I'll be sure to share more as things progress...

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Love it!!  I too experienced much rudeness when I was 300#.   All I have to say to those with a journey of more than 12 weeks is be realistic, take your time and enjoy the journey.   For me the journey has allowed me to meet wonderful people that also understand fitness and nutrition and are willing to go the extra mile to be differnet.  Go for it!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I have practiced BFL several years ago and have come back to the lifestyle. I am on week 2 of a 12 week challenge and thankful that I am familiar with HIIT training. I have met some great people here on what used to be called "The Guestbook", such as Cookie (Sylvia Bortman) who is a featured champion in the BFL Champs' book and Chris Cary who put out those fabulous AudioTimeKeeper! I recently started practicing Tang Soo Do karate. My teacher reminds the studio that we are "A Black Belt academy". He tells us that once we start our study and put on our first white belt we are committing ourselves to earning that black belt, no matter how long it takes. I associate this to the BFL lifestyle. I want to have a black belt not just for self defense, but for my mentality to take care of myself to the best of my ability and others. Treating each person I come in contact with with respect and honor. I have learned that BFL has taught me to continually be conscious of my choices in life and to surround myself with possitive people and possitive energy. I am forever thankful for Bill Phillips teaching me and thousands of others how to apply knowledge to be the best we can be mentally and physically. BFL Forever and "Tang Soo"!!!

• Orrin,

I love the part about craving water - I drink so much of it during the day it hadn't dawned on me that I'm craving it..

GuidoT,

I can't quite figure out why, but even before your post I've started having the urge to try martial arts - I know nothing about it, but I have the feeling that the dedication and discipline I've acquired from doing BFl would reinforced by trying it.  Please let us know how the Too Sang Do progresses as well as the BFL.

Jacium

Jacium