What if I Only Did Half the Active Rest?

• Over the last two weeks, I tried active rest, but I don't think I did it right. I just rested the UB.  I  did 4 LBWO and 12 aerobics, mostly elliptical but some also running on treadmill. Tomorrow I'm golfing in a 4-player scramble, and I'm hoping my arms will be loose limber.  Should be fun, but I plan to return to UBWO on Sunday.  What should I expect?  And, should I jump in right at the weights used in my last workout?

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Hi Jacium,

Probably would have been better to just do the cardio and not LBWO, as you know "Active Rest", means remaining physically active but not doing structured Weight Lifting or HIT cardio - the idea being to rest all the ligaments and joints - but anything else is a goer...

From all the transformations I've read - most people are able to go straight back to thier "last weight before rest" after active rest. If you can't quite hit your max on your 6 rep and then your 12 you should be back there within 2 weeks....

All the best.

Active Rest!

By: Mike Harris

Are you planning another challenge after finishing the one you’re in now? If so, the material that follows should be of some interest and some help to you. It seems like roughly one-half of those who start and complete a 12 week transformation challenge are planning on going into another one in order to get into the shape that they want.

The first thing I want to ask you–actually I’m begging you–is to NOT GO IMMEDIATELY from one challenge right into the next one without a break. Here’s why. Whether you really feel like it or not, a transformation challenge takes a toll on you. The early rising, strenuous exercising and relatively strict dieting are good for you–but over 12 weeks time they can also wear you out.

You deserve AND NEED a week or more of rest before you get back into the gym. Think about this: If you go right from one challenge to another, what you’re really doing is taking a 24 week challenge. That’s nearly 6 months, and it’s longer than most should be doing. Most second and subsequent challenges that occur without a break between tend to be very unproductive and unhappy experiences. They also tend to be more often plagued by injuries, illnesses and overtraining effects.

My favorite fitness author, Albuquerque attorney Clarence Bass, coined the phrase "active rest." That’s what you need to do between challenges.

What you need to do, for at least one week and preferably two, is to stay clear out of the gym and away from the weight lifting routine entirely. And don’t worry about losing muscle mass, you won’t. The phenomenon called muscle memory will put you right back into the groove very quickly once you are rested. In fact, you might actually pick up some muscle mass due to the well-deserved rest. Your joints will thank you for it too.

Instead of lifting weights, do one or two of your favorite non-resistance training types of exercises. I do lots of calisthenics such as pushups, pullups, and squat jumps. I also do some bike riding or stair climbing. I take very long walks with my dog. Others enjoy things like swimming, mountain climbing, hiking, or even chopping wood and heavy gardening activity. This gets you out of the old groove, works different areas of your body, and still gives you plenty of fat-burning and fitness forming activity.

As for the diet, stick with the six meals a day. But, add in a bit of red meat if you are inclined, and experiment with some non-typical foods. This might be a good time to try a little of that natural peanut butter you’ve been craving. I eat a fair amount of non-tropical fruits and berries as carb portions during my rest periods. And I eat some lean red meat which has lots of creatine in it. Don’t make your two weeks off a two week free day or you’ll regret it.

Consider your two weeks active rest a working vacation. You’ll be amazed at your renewed strength, your enthusiastic outlook, and your youthful appearance following your time off. If you don’t do it, you’ll feel like you’re dragging a 100 pound anchor around with you for the next twelve weeks. Which one sounds like the best bet to you?

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Thanks, Aussie-Debs.  It felt totally excellent to lift UB again.  Next time I'll actually read the info before I jump in....

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium