Giving up after week 6

• So here I am struggling with myself because I reached that down point I read about in week 6. I did not even realize it was that until about 10 minutes ago when I took a hot shower and tried to find out what this demotivation was I suddenly felt. Actually it started yesterday with crazy cravings and I gave in. My day was filled with Mini Mars bars (a lot of them) and potatoe chips. At least I didn't have a beer with it. I also skipped my LBWO which I was convinced I would make up today until I woke up this morning.

I didn't believe this would happen to me after being so motivated in the beginning. And when I first read that many people especially women give up after 6 weeks I thought: "Well, now that I know that I am prepared."

I find the meal planning very time consuming. When I think about it, it is not even so much the workouts it is the nutrition part that burns me out. I think about nothing but food the whole day.
    Maybe I need a different approach. I will try to plan my meals better. Prepare food in advance and freeze it. Actually I found some great things in a bodybuilding magazine. I can adjust the portion sizes and the ingredients slightly and get a BFL perfect meal. What makes 4 portions for a male bodybuilder gives me 8 portions :-)

Anyway, the point of this post is really to let you guys know that I am struggling and maybe reach some of you out there who have the same feelings. I am not going to give in the Giving-up-demon which has found me. I am going to fight him by going to the gym right after this post and do my missed LBWO! I hope this will destroy him once and for all (I think I have been watching "Charmed" too much lately :-)).

Wish you all strength and motivation.

msjenayafitness.blogspot.com

• WHAAAAT MANUELA?!!  You better be working out while I'm responding. :-)  This process doesn't have to be a well thought out process.  Bill Phillips did that already and he provided what you needed to know in the book.

Everyone has days like you did.  Don't give up because you made poor choices, keep moving forward!  If you only knew how many bad choices I made over days but I'm still here working my way through.

As for the meals.  I see this so often on the threads here.  Everyone wants to have these elaborate "receipes" for their meals.  We are all trying to get into new routines.  Why then are we trying to work the authorized food list into these major deal of a meal?  Really keep it simple!   As you get into this new routine and are comfortable with this new lifestyle, then go all out with exploring all the wonderful ways to prepare meals.  That's just how I do it anyway.  My meals are real simple and almost the grap and go type.  The extent of my prep time is cooking chicken on Sunday and boiling eggs.  My veggies are the Birdseye Steamfresh as is my brown rice.  I'm not really a cook and with my schedule this all works.  I don't spend more than 1 an hour if that preparing my meals for the week.

Here's my typical meals:

Meal 1 - 6 a.m. - Myoplex Lite RTD

Meal 2 - 9 a.m. - Cottage Cheese (Breakstone’s) little containers & Yogurt

Meal 3 - 12 p.m. - Turkey with Lettuce, Tomato and Mustard on a Whole Wheat Wrap and Carrots or Tuna or Salmon (rip open packets) on a Whole Wheat Wrap with carrots.

Meal 4 - 3 p.m. - Myoplex Lite RTD

Meal 5 - 6 p.m. – Salmon, Brown Rice and Broccoli or Chicken, Brown Rice and Brussel Sprouts, or Green Beans, Ground Lean Turkey on a Whole Wheat Roll, etc. (good authorized stuff)

Meal 6 - 9 p.m. - Cottage Cheese (Breakstone’s) little containers (and then go right to bed).  I found out through trial and error that cutting the carb in the last meal worked for me, it may not work for everyone.

I ate like this for almost a year.  It's been tweaked since then but not by much.  I've added more chicken, sweet potato (which I microwave wrapped in a paper towel for 2 min/each side), oatmeal and egg whites (from my boiled eggs).

This isn't elaborate but it has all the required elements of the authorized food lists. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thanks for your post Sharon--Wonder-Woman. I actually was working out while you posted this :-) Already had my shower and feel much better than yesterday. Looking forward to a protein shake and will try to follow your advice food wise. I think I might also be one of these people who should avoid carbs in the evening. I do some days and others not. This is a big change for me since I used to eat two slices of bread with butter and honey for dinner almost all my life. But I am getting there.

Posting my thoughts already helped me a lot and I am really happy that this forum exists.

• Yay...Woot, Woot! :-)

I have found on days where I feel discouraged that after working out that mood completely turns around.  Change is hard but you can do this!  Good for you. :-)

• Hi Sharon, and Manuella. Sharon, I see you have completed so many chalelenges, I would like to do my second one, How long do you wait before starting the next one?

I really want those results.. You look awesome in your recent p8ics, buy the way. Congrats

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Thank you Melissa.  I take 2 week active rest.  Here's a link that explains how it works.  Don't be afraid to do it.  I still loss up to 3 lbs during that time.

bodyforlife.com/.../1955.aspx

• "This too shall pass!" We all have negative feelings, but our choice is whether or not we let them bad feelings consume us. ;) During bad days I found the action of doing the right thing, a workout and some meal prep, gets me going on the right path....and these forums of course. After six weeks your body is somewhat depleated so what you think is really bad your body will use up quickly, as long as it's not the norm. ;)

Nice recovery and keep it up!.

Today's Mighty Oak is yesterdays Nut that held its Ground!

• WHAT???? YOU CAN'T QUIT!!!   This is definately NOT the time to quit.  You are half way and the next half is where all the motivating changes come.  That will make it easier.  I have 5 kids under 12 that I homeschool and have to cook separate meals for because I can't afford to feed everyone chicken all the time.  It is not easy- but I am done with my excuses.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  I love your blog and have enjoyed reading it.  Hang in there!

Laurie

• Stay on your course.  It's not easy but it's not rocket science either. Keep your success simple.  Part of being discouraged is our innate ability to self sabotage  - telling our inner person that we are not worthy of having a healty looking body.  You know how to achieve it - allow yourself to have it.  The other hard part is re-programming your brain to eat healthy foods and to modify your choices. The food industry knows that by consuming sugar, salt, and fat together, it produces dopamine - the gateway for addictions.  America is addicted to food.  Your mini mars attack is a result of this.

Here's a portion of an article I just pulled up to support it:

Higher sugar, fat and salt make you want to eat more," which was read this in scientific literature, and heard it in conversations with neuroscientists and psychologists. But here was a leading food designer, a Henry Ford of mass-produced food, revealing how his industry operates. To protect his business, he did not want to be identified, but he was remarkably candid, explaining how the food industry creates dishes to hit what he called the "three points of the compass."

Sugar, fat and salt make a food compelling. They stimulate neurons, cells that trigger the brain's reward system and release dopamine, a chemical that motivates our behavior and makes us want to eat more. Many of us have what's called a "bliss point", at which we get the greatest pleasure from sugar, fat or salt. Combined in the right way, they make a product indulgent, high in "hedonic value".

Here's the link for the full article:

www.articlesbase.com/.../why-fat-salt-and-sugar-stimulate-our-appetite-and-promote-over-eating-at-times-3045438.html

Good luck and only six weeks to go!!  Allow yourself to finish this and remember you can always have your mini mars chocolates and chips on your free day!!!

• COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE ADVANTAGE IN QUITTING IS??  

As far as I can tell there is none so why would you do that.  To quit is to allow yourself to be defeated.

I have eating issues, everyone knows that.   My best advice??

Take the power away from food.  

Acknowledge that you pick IT up and put in your mouth.  Once YOU PICK IT UP and eat it, then your body does what it does best and processes it.  Again...don't miss that first step.   Food doesn't fly off that plate into your mouth, you pick up that fork and put it there.  When you feel those crappy binge behavior feelings coming on, DO SOMETHING POSITIVE INSTEAD.  Read a book, vacuum, take out the trash.  Offer to help someone else do something.

OWN your weakness and manage it.  You know that you have issues with food.  Get to the root of them.  It takes time and patience with yourself.  Get a journal or notebook and write letters to people who you feel have wronged you, then burn them.  You'll get that out of your system.  

Life isn't fair, some of us have to work HARDER to get the nice lean form of an athlete.  

It's never easy for me, but I do it, I do it every single day because it makes me a better wife, mother, friend and employee.  I'll take that over a mini-mars bar any day.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thanks to everyone sooooooooooo much!!!!! I could not do it without you. :-) You guys are the greatest. I will finish this challenge! I know I can do it. With your support everyhing is possible. I have always been looking for someone to tell me what I need to do to transform myself. What I need to eat, how much I need to work out. This is what Bill did for me and all of you. Additionally I have all of you supporting me and this is so much more I have ever wished for. I feel blessed to have found this site and all of you great people. We can do this together!

• Well said Champster. You are such an inspiration.

My hair was kindof blowing from your loud voice. He he he.

• Dang, Michelle gets on the board and I reflexively come to attention and glance at my water glass (um, yes ma'am, I'm drinking).

• Sharon & Manuela,

Yes, Manuela, Sharon is right on the mark.  Keep these meals simple.  It really helps if, like Sharon does, you can eat off a "standard" menu  - I literally crave the Turkey with Lettuce, Tomato, and yellow mustard on whole wheat that Sharon shows in meal #3.  Eat more fiber to feel fuller throughout the day - I start off with high fiber cereal or oatmeal, to which I add 1/4 cup of walnuts or almonds, and fruit (currently blueberries) plus 1 cup 1% milk (I don't like skim, but that would be better).  

It's time you surrendered your mind to your body, not the other way around.  In other words, don't let your subconcious dictate your meals, or the Mars bars are sure to follow.  Have the conscious mind control your food selections, because it knows that what is good for your body is also good for the mind. I like to say, "eat for your body, not for your mind..."

Manuel, I can't believe you went for the mini Mars bars - would have thought you'd go for some quality Swiss chocolate!!  Anyway, even in my challenges I had 1 square of Lindt chili chocolate, with fresh or dried fruit and 1/4 cup cashews or almonds as my meal #6 - a nice mini-reward for eating clean that day!  (Dark chocolate is actually good for you, and 1 square was only 50 of my ~ 1800 calories).

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thanks Jacium for your post :-) Actually it is the caramel in the mars bar which is so tempting. And I must admit that other than Mars and Snickers I am not very much into chocolates even if we do have good chocolates here :-) Should make things easier.