What happened?

• Today is Day Seven of the BFL plan. I weighed myself today like I have everyday this week and the five pounds I have lost dissappeared after my FREE DAY.

Several feelings are going on right now. One, I feel guilty for my FREE DAY and believe that I have undone all my hard work that I have done all week. Ie, Ate clean, exercised. Second, I am trying to be patient and tell myself that maybe its the sugar or salt that has caused this bloat I am feeling. Today I do feel bloated and kinda stuffed up. I certainly do not have the energy I had the rest of the week. 

Then, I read on the forums about the Champions who do not have a FREE DAY but take that day and eat on FREE MEAL..  

Has this happened to you? Advice?

http://onesmartcookiesjourney.blogspot.com/

• That's not uncommon and we strongly discourage weighing daily and or the day after free day.  You'll retain water along with other biological matter that will cause an increase in weight.  The scale should be back to normal in two days, unless free day was way overboard.

You shouldn't feel guilty about free day it's a built in component of the program and serves it's purpose.  

What you are experiencing, in my humble opinion is just as much the mental component of recognizing early on that free day foods can indeed make you feel like crap.  It takes some folks a solid month of feeling like this before they connect the dots that an all out free day will make you feel bad if you over indulge.  We tend to call it "carb hangover".  

Welcome to another aspect of the BFL lifestyle.  Set your worries and guilt aside and focus on drinking plenty of water and eating to plan, you'll feel better after a few good clean meals.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• In a past challenge I experienced the same thing, but in hindsight attributed it to having a free for all instead of a free day or free meal. I only weigh myself the morning of my free day, only once a week for sure.This time around I tried to enjoy and relax on my free day yet still avoid going overboard. Keep going, stay positive!

• I've always wondered why the plan had free day on a Sunday. For the majority of people that's a day off work. Having a free day combined with the day off just seems like a recipe for over indulgence.

My wife and I have set our free day for Friday. We figure it really leaves only Friday night to partake in some free day goodies as we are working all day A beer or glass of wine, some pizza or whatever for dinner (or go out) and maybe some popcorn while watching a movie.

• Yep, just be careful about what you choose to eat on free day.  My experience was gaining 3 lbs and then taking the entire week to get back to pre free day weight.  It was like 3 steps forward and 1 step back.  In the end, I figured instead of having 84 good days, I actually had about half that because of free day.  One free meal is best but don't make it a full on Mexican dinner followed by Ice Cream at the end of the day like I did. :-)  I did find having something "free" earlier in the day was better as well.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• My free day should in fact be today but I used it yesterday because I knew we'd be going to the Taste of Edmonton. SO, instead of saying no to going and deny myself I chose to use it then. Back on plan today.. .

• Anyone else become constipated on the program? I have been drinking my water and limit one shake and one bar a day.

• With the amount of fiber in my diet only sometimes the day after my free day. The food you eat, the water you drink, and the sodium (causes water retention) you intake all create the fluctuation in you weight. Those three factors add 4-7 pounds to my weight  so I weigh myself 4 days after free day and compare to the previous week. Also you can be losing fat and gaining muscle which means getting smaller in size but staying the same weight or gaining (which is my goal). You have only been doing BFL for 7 days it takes 4-8 week to see a major difference sometimes and usually 2 weeks minimum.

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Onesmartcookie be sure you are getting AT LEAST two servings of veggies per day, shoot for more if possible.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Yes but the CLA helps with that.

• Bill Phillips, in Eating for Life and in BFL insists that the free day be utilized. This way the body doesn't kick into starvation mode and hinder your fat loss.

I agree with champster09. . . I feel like crap if I go all out on my free day. The next day is like a hangover!  

• What is CLA? What does it do and where do you get it?

• eas.com/.../pro-science-cla

Known as "the fat that helps your body burn fat," conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) effectively helps reduce body fat and supports lean mass to significantly improve overall body composition.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Hi onesmartcookie,

I totally understand how you feel about feeling a little guilty after weighing yourself the day after your free day, but don't worry about it, in my humble opinion it's normal and if you stay through the program you will achieve the results you wanted as long as you stick to the program . And someone in the post did mention a really good idea, do not weigh yourself every day, I weigh once a week.

Good luck and stay committed, you can do it!!!

cheers,

-Fernando

• It happens but remember daily weigh in is not the goal - long term transformation is. Stay positive, you can make it!