body fat

•  

Ok I just measured my body fat with my neighbors thinner scale it read 30 percent. Then I went on line and found this formula. And mine came out to 24.4 %  

If some of you already know your body fat can you do the calculation and see if it matches what your is . I weigh 138 and I am 63 inches tall. So according to this my body fat is 24.4%

I hope its correct??? Feedback Im a female by the way

Darelyne

To calculate your body fat percentage, write down how much you weigh but you have to be honest. Remember, no one will see this but you. Multiply your weight by 703.

Next, write down your height, in inches. Multiply by that same number. Then you will divide your weight number by your height number. That is your BMI.

For example, if your weight were 150 pounds x 703, your weight answer would be 105,450. If your height is 5í4î, that would be 64 inches x 64 for a total of 4,096. Taking the 105,450 divided by 4,096, you come out with a BMI of 25.7.

There are other ways to measure your body fat percentage but this will give you a quick idea of where you are at.

• i thought body fat percentage and bmi were two different things.  

i did the calculations above and compared w/ my body fat percentage (that i had taken recently at the gym by a trainer).  my numbers were not the same...

• I believe they are different  what I found online was how to calculate your body fat read it again...

• Body fat and BMI are too different things. BMI is merely a calculation using weight and height. Since it doesn't distinguish between lean muscle and fat, it isn't a very useful measure for people that are fit and building lean muscle. Lean muscle is your friend, and low body fat is the goal. Since the same volume of muscle weighs substantially more than the same volume of fat, scale weight and BMI will only prove to cause unecessary worry! If you can't find a way to accurately measure body fat  just eat right, exercise and record your tape measurements. And of course, enjoy your loose fitting clothes!

• I guess no one is reading my question I am going to be clear. Is the above  calculation a correct way to check your body fat.. Im not asking about BMI..

• Unfortunately, this is a formula for calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI). So, NO, this isn't going to work to calculate body fat, no matter the mention of it in the sentence you posted.

The best way to calculate it is the skinfold method where you use calipers and a little math.

• SORRY MY MISTAKE THE WORDING IN THE BEGINNING IS SAYS YOUR BODY FAT THEN AT THE END IT SAYS THIS IS YOUR BMI.. .. GUESS WHOEVER WROTE IT DOESNT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN VERY WELL...

GUESS I WILL DO THE MEASURING TECHNIQUE. OR JUST GO BY WHAT MY FRIENDS THINNER BODY FAT SCALE SAID WHICH WAS 30 PERCENT

• You cannot accurately calculate your body fat with a formula. Two people with the same height and weight can have very different body fat percentages.

Since it is a percentage it depends on the ratio of pounds of fat and pounds of fat free mass (lean body mass).

138 * 30% (.30) = 41.4 body fat in pounds

138 - 41.4 = 96.6 your fat free mass (lean body mass)

The goal of BFL is to increase lean body mass and reduce body fat.

If you set a goal of 18% body fat and did not gain any muscle this is how you calculate your goal weight

Weight x percent = fat mass

weight - fat mass = fat free mass (lean body mass)

Pick your goal body fat percentage

lets say 20% (.20)

Your goal fat free percent is 100% - Goal body fat percent

80% (.80)

To calculate goal weight

fat free mass / fat free percentage

Lets use numbers…..

138 * 30% (.30) = 96.6

138 - 41.4 = 96.6

Goal is 20% body fat

96.6 / .80 = 120.8 (If you gain muscle this goal weight would be a higher number)

So to be at 20% body fat you need to loose 17.2 pounds of pure fat (for each pound of muscle you gain that one less pound of fat you need to lose to be at 20%)

(This assumes you do not gain or lose any muscle mass (fat free mass / lean body mass)

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 24.4

My Body fat percentage is 17.8% and my BMI is 28.7

I blogged about the difference 3 months ago

Here is a link

http://thisisbryanok.xanga.com/725400151/bmi-vs-body-fat-/

I hope this answers your question and clears any misunderstanding.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• most body  fat calculations are nothing more than estimates. Some are more accurate than others. Calipers are used frequently as well. There are some very accurate tests, but they are usually more expensive.

Vegas Dave--I know we can do this, and together we are so much stronger. We have the power!!

• hey there Bryan thanks for the info though I find it was confusing.. Im going just rely on the scale I used or go get the calipers done on me ..

• BMI - Just a number to categorize people's weight

Under 20 = Under Weight

20-25 = Normal

25-30 = Overweight

30+ = Obese

Body fat - Percentage of your weight that comes from fat

According to my BMI (28.7) I am overweight and according to body fat % (17.8) I am healthy.

I have more muscle but since BMI only counts weight and height I am considered overweight.

BMI is used to classify an entire population. Body fat percentage is for an individual

They government uses BMI for statistics. When you hear 60% of American adults are overweight I guess I am part of that statistic.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

• I've lost a bunch of inches and ten pounds and gained at least 20~30% strength all over, and I'm halfway through my first challenge - my scale says I'm still at the same 19% body fat that I was at when I started.

Those things lie - like a rug.

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

• I stayed (got stuck) around 20% while losing weight (and inches) while gaining strength before I found BFL. It was due to losing muscle mass and fat. I lost 10 pounds of muscle (pre-BFL) then another 4 when I started BFL.

I want to get a Bod Pod or Water Tank body fat measurement.

Hand held can give you an idea but less accurate,

The kind on foot scales are even less accurate than the handheld.

• There ARE formulas you can find using different body part measurements with a tape. There are some in the book Protein Power for calculating lean body mass. For an affordable option I think calipers are probably the best bet.