How to avoid a "Groundhog Day" kind of life!

• I donate blood platelets at the Red Cross every two weeks, as part of my ongoing program of helping those who need it and who have no means to return the favor. In the case of platelets, all I know is that they go to help cancer and other critically ill patients, so it's perfect activity to give without expectation of a return.

I say all that only to tell you why I watch so many old movies--and that's because the donations take a couple of hours plus the supply of movies is old. Today, I watched Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray. Even if you've never seen it, you know that it is about a guy who gets trapped in a life where every day is exactly the same as the day before, except that he has the power to react to all the events as they occur.  He sees the same people every day who have the same things to say to him, but he can alter what he says and does to them.

The movie is both sad and funny at the same time, as Murray's character struggles to escape this daily nightmare in Punksatwney Pennsylvania (hence the title) where he wakes up as a Pittsburgh weatherman who is supposed to be coverning the groundhog who sees his shadow. Murray's character is a prideful but small time weatherman who thinks he is more important and talented than he is. Day by day he becomes suicidal and tries to escape the hell of sameness by doing himself in, but still wakes up to live the next day.

He eventually learns that he has undiscovered talents, which he develops, and also learns that his contempt for those around him is part of what locks him in this daily hell.

Murray eventually escapes his daily hell by applying his new found talents to entertain and benefit others; by living humbly, by living purposefully, and by doing good for others. He learns the true meaning of love and a life well lived.

It's a good movie and the theme is timeless. "Live intentionally; give of your time and talents; and love others no matter the risk." That's much of what a transformed life is all about. What starts out as just another diet and exercise program transforms you from the inside out, teaching you that you can do more than you can think, that you have undiscovered talents and character traits; that you are at your best when you live an organized and generous life, and that you were put on earth to help others--not to help yourself.

I liked the movie--as you can plainly tell. But I loved the message much more. I plan on living that message--how about you?

• Mike-I love that movie! Thanks for putting your spin on it to make me think...yes I will live that message! :) I'm discovering things that I can do and ways to give back every day! This program and its success in my life has changed me so so much! :) I Love It!

Have missed you around here! Hope all is well!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• "that you were put on earth to help others--not to help yourself."  It truly doesn't get any better than that.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory