Stages of body transformation?

• I'm just 3 weeks into my 1st run here.  I started doing some cardio classes before I began BFL therefore I've been exercising for about 2 months.

I'm noticing my legs are getting stronger and firmer.  I've also noticed some of the fat on my back just above my butt is starting to go away.  Everything seems to be slowing shrinking and getting stronger.... except my belly.  In fact, it feels as though my belly is sticking out just a bit more than before.  Does this sound like a normal part of the body transforming?  I appreciate any input you might have.

• Yes, it sounds a lot like my first challenge. The stomach just seems to take forever, it really is around week eight where you will see the all the change really happening. Hang in there!....Melissa

Melissa

2012 Body-for-LIFE Champion, Women 18-29

• Hi!

My belly took the longest to go away too, so don't stress over it.  I am sure your belly isn't really "sticking out just a bit more than before" so much as the rest of you is shrinking and making it appear that way.  If you are getting firmer and stronger, just keep doing what you are doing.  Just remember to adjust your caloric intake as needed or you will gain "skinny fat" if you are not getting enough calories.

:)  Kerry
    2012 Body-for-Life Champion, Women's 30-45

• Seems to be a common thing, for both guys and gals. My first challenge, I dropped nearly 30 lbs of fat and added about 13 lbs of lean, but I couldn't see any real difference in my belly size. However, I had been taking regular measurements, and they showed my belly had shrunk by nearly six and a half inches in that time. I'll bet if you started taking measurements you'd be able to see some progress.

• Try cutting out white flour,sugar, and white pasta...sometimes eating a more whole food diet gets the belly to shrink a little faster....

• @xanaduyas,

What is "skinny fat"?

And I agree the belly seems to be the last to go. It seems to be the place our bodies want to store fat. Keep doing the cardio. I find that abdominal exercises are important, but that nice six pack you're developing will stay hidden under a layer of fat without cardio and healthy diet.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• @ElleBlue..  "skinny fat"  is when you look slim but you are actually losing muscle mass instead of fat.  It's not really that you gain it..  more like your body consumes the muscle instead of the fat because it isn't getting enough calories.  So you might look skinny, but there is zero definition or "tone".  Does that make sense?

:)  Kerry
    2012 Body-for-Life Champion, Women's 30-45

• Thanks for your input.  I think taking measurements is a good idea.  I know the scale seems to be more discouraging to me so I stay away from it.  Regardless, I know I'm making positive changes for myself and that is a win in itself.  What a journey!