Morning or night wkouts?

• I usually wake up early to work out in the am. But I got lazy this morning and slept in. I decided to do my cardio when I get home from work today. This made me wonder if there is any difference in doing a work out in the morning vs. doing the workouts in the evenings. Does your body respond to one better than the other??

Stacy Lynn

• I always work out in the evening.  I am not a morning person and already have to be up at 6:00am.  No way I would get up earlier and I know that.  I tried a few times but it was half effort and that's no good.  The idea is in the morning you are working out in a fasted state (empty stomach).   So what I do is I eat my 5th meal when I get home from work around 5:00-5:30.  Then I wait 3 hours to work out around 8:00 - 8:30 so that my stomach is empty.  Then I eat my 6th meal after the workout.  

• It's preferrable to do cardio in the morning but it's not the beginning of the end if you don't.  Do what works for you and what is going to keep you committed to the program.  Sometimes, it would seem there are sacrifices that aren't feasible and that's okay.  

On a sidenote:  I have used myself as a lab rat the past several cardio workouts.  In the morning, I've noticed by heart rate is slower even while doing the same pace/intensity.  For example:  If I am doing cardio at 6:30AM my heart rate maxes out at level 10 around 157 bpm, and is generally 10-13 bpm slower the entire workout whereas, 12 hours later in the day, it maxes anywhere from 10-13 more bpm.  I am still looking into the implications of this,if any.  I am sure there's a scientific explanation for it and it has something to do with being in a longer state of rest prior to the work but I wonder if there are any adverse effects at either point in time.

• Stacy-I'm an early bird, not always chipper, but it's the best time for me cause activities and coaching always get in the way of my workouts if they were done in the p.m.

Once during my first challenge I did cardio in the afternoon...was not good for me, I felt sluggish and tired, not sure why so I've never gone back to a pm workout. Like Armster said, workout when it's right and best for you!

Have a great day! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I usally workout in the evenings. I'm not a morning person so when i try to workout then, its not as good. When I do it in the evenings I know I hit my 10's.

• I work out in the am on my way to work.  I pack my bag the night before and sleep in my workout clothes so that I have no excuses.  I know I'm a freak, but it works for me and I love how much energy I have the rest of the day.  For some reason when I leave it until the afternoon it feels more like a chore.

runninggrl :)

• I work out in the evening. Usually around 5:30 or so... I have my Mid Day snack around 3:30 - 4pm, so that by the time I get tot he gym, I'm not feeling bloated as I give it a good hour or more to settle.

Right before hitting Gym I drink a powdered Gatorade, and 1/s tsp of Creatine.. Then after working out I have a Protein Shake, and another 1/2 tsp of Creatine.

Then Dinner is usually around 7pm. and evening snack at 9 - 9:30

I do often wonder if I'd be losing more weight if I did my Cardio in the Mornings, But I wake up far too early as it it for Work let alone to run for 20 minutes..

Chip

• does everyone still wait an hour before they eat after their cardio workout? even if they do it in the pm? thanks

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• I do my workouts in the PM as well. I also get up way too early to do them in the AM. Sometimes I get up at 5:30 am, so in order to do an AM workout, I'd have to get up around no later than 4AM. I do my workouts around 5 or 6 PM. Than dinner which we usually eat a little later sometimes. My workouts vary though. Sometimes I'll do them when I get home from school, around 3pm, other times I do them pretty late like around 8pm.

• Theresa Anne;

If you do not do fasted morning cardio/HIIT, then do it 1-1.5 hours after a meal, then wait to eat 1 hour after the HIIT cardio.  This is for good fat burning results, while keeping meals about three hours apart.  

Good luck!  

Julie

• Thanks, Julie.

That is what I will do!

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.