• I ran my second 5K yesterday and beat my previous time by 3:39.  It's an improvement but I still could not run the entire race without having to stop and walk part of it.  I finished at 40:05 and according to the stats, I placed 248 of 287 runners, 113 of 143 Female runners and 11 of 13 in the Women's 45-49 division.  My pace per mile was 12:54.  HA!  At least I was out there. :-)  I don't know how people can run that thing in 20 min but maybe one day I can reach that.  There were a few hills but not really major.  I will do another.  I did learn that I need to get out and do real running rather than just on the treadmill.  It really is different.  So now that the weather is nicer, I'll try and do that.

I see how people get caught up in doing these if for nothing else to beat their previous time.  While running I recalled when I ran the first one at TN Champions Weekend in Knoxville last year.  Champster ran with me and she was so funny.  Even acknowledging all those who helped along the way which was pretty cool.  I thought about that and almost did the same thing but I just chuckled and kept on going.  Thanks Michelle!  I'll never forget that first race. :-)

When I run I can't always relax.  I get all tensed about finishing and I think that makes me more tired than the actual running. 
    I need pointers on how to run and relax.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Great job Sharon! I don't know what to tell you on how to relax. Maybe just think 1 mile at a time and don't concentrate so much on finishing. So what is the worst that would happen if you didn't finish? People that have run for a long time sometimes have races that they can't finish. Don't put so much pressure on yourself! At least you are out there doing it! Plus you beat your time! That is great improvement! Focus on the good things :) I will try to remember my own advice as I have to run 9 miles today as I am training for the Denver marathon in Oct and I haven't run all week! Wish me luck! LOL. I know on my long runs I break it down into 3rds. Then I don't get so overwhelmed thinking how far I have to go! Oh and on the stopping to walk...what is wrong with walking? I follow Jeff Galloway's program and he is an advocate of taking walk breaks and for me with my back it helps me to go alot further than if I tried to run the whole way and my body doesn't scream at me the next day! Congrats on a job well done! So when is your next race? :)

• Sharon, Thanks for posting this...I am signing up for a 5K this coming Saturday...Have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but it's for one of my friends who has survived *** Cancer. Gotta start somewhere, right?

I know I will have to walk as well, going to try and get my daughter to run with me (wish me luck on that!)...Do you think there will be 5K in Nashville this year? That would be cool if all of us could do one together! :)

Good luck on your next one and CONGRATS on bettering your time! You ROCK, Wonder Woman! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Congrats on your race, and on beating your previous time! Isn't it fun and a great sense of accomplishment? I used to stress out, but now I don't, I just try to beat my previous time if I can, and if I can't, that's still OK, at least I'm out there. I just started running 2 years ago, and last month finished second in my age group (45-49) in a 5K. There weren't a ton of runners, but still :) Think about the free food and fun at the post race and just enjoy the process. I'm hooked on races now. One of my BFL goals is to beat my previous 5K time by 1 minute. My next race is June 6th so we'll see.

• Thanks Ladies.

Another question I had...how often should a person run a 5K?  Is there a recommended break time or do you just do them whenever?

Debbie I don't think we are running a 5K in Nashville.  The TN Champions Weekend last year was purposesly scheduled to coincide with the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held annually in Knoxville.

• Sharon- Im not sure I know what your asking but if you want to know if its ok to run a 5k every day then the answer would be yes you can do that if you want.  On the BFL program probably not, but in general there is no break time.  possibly a day break if you are looking to improve your time on every one.

• Thanks Brian that does answer the question.  If I continue to do challenges, I'll do a 5K at the end of each one. :-)

• I love you Sister!!  I am so proud of you and of your courage to step out there and run another 5k!!

You mention pointers on how to run and relax, for me, acknowledging those men and women at the intersections helps me to think about them and not me.  

Roll your shoulders and shake your hands throughout your race, that helps too.  

I am so very proud!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Awesome Wonder Woman!  I'm getting in shape and look forward to doing one with you soon.  Of course you will need to slow down some or wait for me at the end with water, but you know what I mean.  Great job.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Way to go. The hardest part about running 5k's is doing your first one.  I used to run a lot 20 years ago (when I was in my 30's) and had to stop because I wasn't able to run without my knees hurting.  After trying for 20 years, I finally got it started again and have been able to run 4-5 miles on a single run.  A year ago today, I finish my first 5k in 20 years in just over 45 min.  This year I ran the same race and did it in 31 min.  My next goal is to run it in less than 30 min and run a 10 k at the end of next month.

As far as relaxing, you'll find that as you continue running, you will not have to push yourself as hard to run the first mile and it will even seem easy.  As things get easier, you will enjoy it even more. Soon you will feel stressed if you're not able to run, even if you are purposely taking a day of rest.

I'm starting my 4th week of challenge 1 and am 55 years old.  Most of the training guidelines that I see are geared for younger people.  Here's what I found that seems to work,  I mix running a couple of days with a partial run mixed with elliptical or all elliptical and a spin class one day a week.  Mixing up the cardio training has helped me spare the beating on my knees.  I force myself to not do anything strenuous on the legs 2 days a week.  I have done lower body during my lunch break followed up by a 3 mile run after I get home from work.  But if you do that, make sure you don't push yourself too hard when you run.  Make it a casual run, slow it down.

When you train for 5k's, do the whole 3 miles a couple of times a week and mix in as much walking as you want.  When you do walk, don't walk any longer than it takes you to get your breathing under control.  For my, I try to get running again after my heart rate drops below 130.  You may want to start before that point since you're younger than I am.

Anyway, good luck.  

Rick

• I want to do a 5k with Wonder Woman.  

• Jess,

Check this out. :-)

globalrace.info-komen.org/.../PageServer

Wanna do it?!

• I'm not sure if I'm far enough in my journey to do that June 5th.  Something more August time frame?  You are unstoppable!  I love it.