What I have learned in 7 weeks!

• So here I am at the start of week 8.  I just wanted to share my feelings so far on the body for life program.  So listen or don't this is just how I feel.

When I started this program I figured I probably wouldn't finish.  Why you ask, well because I don't think I have ever finished any diet or workout program before.  The one thing that has helped me get through this has been support.  Not only family, but the community here in the forums.  There are people who have gone through the same stuff we all have.  Get some good support behind you.  Let those you know, know you mean business and get to work!

You will make mistakes along the way.  I have made mistakes, I would like to say some have been intentional, but they haven't.  We all have the right to choose between good and evil, and sometimes evil is easier.  And as evil I mean that protein shake versus that hamburger.  The one thing you need to realize is that everybody messes up and when you do, don't let it get you down.  Lift you head up, stiffen that upper lip and push through.  We learn from mistakes, and we learn from failure.  Failure is not a bad thing if we learn from it, forget about, and tell ourselves we will not do it again.

I have hit a plateau.  I was at the end of week five from 248-237 and thought things would keep going, but know I have constantly been hovering around 239-240.  Don't let that scale fool you.  I have seen inches gone from the waist, my stomach is trimming down and I feel tighter and more confident than ever before.  Listen I was at 248 and 5'-10" tall and am considered obese.  What do I expect I have spent 29 years gaining the weight and expect to loose it all in 12 weeks?  HA, it might be possible for some and as we have seen from the champions it can be done, but set realistic normal attainable goals.  This will help you to not feel discouraged.  Keep up the fight.  It might take multiple challanges, but its worth it!

Some of my stats are as follows for my 12 rep level 9

Dumbell Bench: Start, 50lber's  7 weeks later, 85lbers

Squat: Start 195, 7 weeks later, 285

Straight leg Dead lift: Start 105, 7 weeks later 195

As you can see sometimes that fat will burn, but muscle will be gained and the weight will seem as if nothing is happening.  I feel much stronger and maybe this is why my weight is stopped, but I haven't.  Don't feel down if things don't go your way.  Keep going, keep pushing, and don't stop.  Nothing great comes without sacrifice.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."  -Henry Rollins-

• This is good stuff and good for you Matthew!  :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• HIP HIP HORAY FOR MATTHEW!  It so good to see the physical AND mental progress!  Now we are all watching to make sure you FINISH strong!

• Matthew way to go.  I love your post.  I would like to give you a little bit of wisdom as you head through the end of your challenge.  You will come to yet another abyss at the end of your challenge and your statement "Why you ask, well because I don't think I have ever finished any diet or workout program before. "  rings a bell with me personally.  When you come to the end of your challenge, you will have two choices...

One...take a week or two off from your weights and routine and then come right back to where you've gotten to in your challenge completion...or

Two...go back to your old lifestyle and habits.  

Option two is laughable right now, you feel good, your riding high on the tides of positive changes.  When you hit that two week rest all of the sudden your "old habits" will start attempting to crash your celebration.  So be prepared in that it's a normal occurance, but you be ready to play ball when it happens.

Challenge one is much like the feelings of a fresh love affair, all warm and fuzzy with excitement.  

Challenge two or the ongoing BFL lifestyle is all about the commitment and what that means to you personally.  

It took me a long time to figure out that the commitment is what makes the lifestyle.

Congrats on your progress and to your continue success!!  I will see you at the finish line my friend!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thanks guys!

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."  -Henry Rollins-

• Thank you for your post Matthew! Right from your heart. Champster is soooo spot on on that active rest time frame. I had demons that reared their ugly head a little during active rest and a lot during the first few weeks of my 2nd challenge. Stay focused and review your goals! You are such an inspiration!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• I love your post Matthew and have read it more than once. You really are "tearing it up" this time. L LIKE IT! I am just fresh into week seven and ready to get me some great results too. Seems with each challenge, weeks 7 - 12 are the payoff for the first half. Keep up the  great work!