Am I getting enough food??

• Ok, I do feel like I'm having success with BFL as far as fat loss goes (have lost 14 lbs and body fat has dropped from 23.8% to 14% currently). I was 168 lbs and now am 154.  But I'm not putting on muscle like I'm wanting to. My workouts are always good and I'm always sore the day after and usually for 2 or 3 days after. So I'm starting to wonder if I'm not getting enough calories to help me gain muscle. I track my food with an app on my iPhone and I consistenly get around 150g of protein daily and am right on the 40/40/20 ratio everyday. It shows my calories are right around 1400-1500 a day.  But I read somewhere that I should be around 2500 a day?  So here's what I would eat on a typical day. Would appreciate input on what you think.

6 am - 1 cup dry Kashi cereal

8 am – Myoplex Lite shake, sm. bowl of sugar-free oatmeal

11 am – 1 can white chicken w/ 1 tbls low fat mayo, dill relish, wrapped in low-carb tortilla, raw broccoli, greek yogurt w/ grnd flaxseed

2 pm – Myoplex Lite bar

4 pm – Whey protein shake

<Workout>

6 pm – grilled chicken, sweet potato w/ splenda, steamed asparagus or broccoli, whey protein shake

8 pm – 3 egg white omelet (1 yolk), raw spinach, 1 tbls salsa

Also drink approx. 5 bottles of water.

• On weight days, I would be inclined to use the Myoplex original (25g) bars and save the Lite bars for cardio.

I think caloric intake you should definitely be around 2000, even though we are told not to count calories because they will take care of themself.  Also, 3 eggs seems like it isn't enough.

Are you feeling hungry?

• Armster, that's the weird part, I don't really feel hungry. Usually by the time it's meal time again, I'm just starting to feel a "little" hungry, but never like that starving feeling.  And my problem is, if I'm needing to get another 500 calories or so daily, where could that come from and where should I squeeze that in?

• Hmm I don't know Mike.  If you're body isn't telling you to eat more, you have to listen to it otherwise you are going against the grain of this program.  It sounds like  you're lean by nature.  I'm not the most experienced even though I have finished the challenge.  I listened to my body the whole way through, I don't think I ever counted protein or caloric intake.

Are you getting enough sleep giving your muscles the renew cycle that is essential?

• Mike, I noticed your profile says "I've always wanted to have a muscular physique" I agree with Armster that you should be consuming atleast 2000 calories. In my first challange I ate around 1800 cals a day and ended up losing 2.5 pounds of muscle mass even though I was consuming 180g of protein a day (I am 5'7" 175-180lbs) I would add come protein at 6 am and switch the oatmeal to 6 am since Myoplex already has carbs. Myoplex original or myoplex strength formula would be better for you. If budget is a issue get a 5 pounder of whey protein and use an apple or orange as the carb.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• I get around 7 hours of sleep.

• I really think the problem here is your last meal.  I don't see a carb in there and I think you are one egg short.  If you are getting seven hours sleep thats means you are in bed by 10 right before you can be hungry I guess?  I hate to tell you what to do, but personally I would add another egg and a carb idea from Bryan's post.

• Yea, maybe I should buy the original myoplex shakes (42g protein) rather than the Lite ones (20g). But that's still only going to add about 130 calories.

• So maybe 4 eggs whites (1 yolk) and a whole wheat english muffin as my 8-9pm last meal? I didn't think I was supposed to get a lot of carb before bedtime.

• 6 am - sm. bowl of sugar-free oatmeal and a protein

(I heat my oatmeal then add a scoop of protein powder and more water and mix it in

Ideally I would have 4+6 egg whites and oatmeal but dont have time)

8 am – Myoplex original or strength shake

11 am – 1 can white chicken w/ 1 tbls low fat mayo, dill relish, wrapped in low-carb tortilla, raw broccoli, greek yogurt w/ grnd flaxseed (I would skip the tortilla for another complex carb, you dont need low-carb since carbs are energy)

2 pm – Myoplex original or strength (the bars have too much sugar and good or emergencies only)

4 pm – Whey protein shake ( you need a carb, perhaps fruit)

<Workout>

6 pm – grilled chicken, sweet potato w/ splenda, steamed asparagus or broccoli, whey protein shake (looks good)

8 pm – 3 egg white omelet (1 yolk), raw spinach, 1 tbls salsa (add more eggwhite and a carb)

Also drink approx. 5 bottles of water.

That should add enough calories

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Agree with Bryan's plan.

Also, don't worry about the carb before bedtime.  I haven't read anywhere including the book that you aren't supposed to have one.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  You burn while you sleep.

For the 4PM whey protein shake, perhaps make on of the smoothies recipes but adjust it while you are in the challenge.  EX:  3/4  cup no fat vanilla yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein power(23g protein), 1/4 cup frozen no sugar added raspberries, couple of ice cubes. Benefit:  Tastes great.

• Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. I'll try this stuff and see what happens.  

• mike470:  Do you have an update?