2.6 miles in 20 min! A new milestone! Yay!=)

• Just wanted to let everyone know that I reached a new milestone today. I clocked 2.6 miles in my 20 min HIT session on the treadmill today! I had been capping out at 2.5 miles but pushed it just a little harder today by starting out a little faster as my old warm up level just felt to slow now. Yay! Progress! Just wanted to share my joy for the day with everyone! My goal is to hit 2.86 miles in 20 minutes...getting closer! Keep pushing for those high points!

• That's awesome, congratulations!

Can you tell us what you're speeds are during the HIIT progression?   I mainly stick to one speed and then adjust incline to vary the intensity but I've been thinking about changing it up by using speed variations.

• wow, that is just incredible.  I was feeling good for hitting my personal best at 1.5 miles.  You really are hitting it hard.  Congrats.

• Excellent marathonmama!  And thanks for sharing it with everyone.  When one reaches new personal bests, it strengthens all of us!

• Congrats on the milestone marathonmama!   Now that is FAST!!!!!  Woohooo!

Susan Berna

2010 Body-for-LIFE Grand Master Champion

• Wow, wow and wow :)

• awesome run!

• Thanks everyone for the encouragement! It is motivating to see my performance level responding to the training. I'm hoping to be able to average a 7 minute mile pace for the 5k by the end of my 12 weeks. Originally my goal was to be able to run 1 mile in 7 minutes (on the treadmill first then work on transferring it out doors), but since I already accomplished that goal, I had to make a new one. Yay!

Jim,

Here's pretty much what I did this morning and without incline. I think I'll slow it down but increase the incline next time to change it up.

2 minutes at 7 mph (about a 5-6 on exertion scale)

1 minute at 7.5 (exertion level 7)

1 minute at 8 (exertion level 8)

1 minute at 9 (exertion level 9)

repeat 3 more times starting at 7 mph (7, 7.5, 8, 9)

To reach my High Point I usually crank it up to a 10 for that final 1 minute push, but today only got it up to 9.3 or so, probably due to a combination of sore legs from yesterday's LBWO and just working a little harder during the total run.

For my cool down minute I went back to 7 mph, but then realized I could just make the 2.6 marker if I bumped it up a little so I pushed it back to somewhere around 8mph and came in at 2.6 exactly at the 20 minute mark. I then walked for about 10 minutes just to get everything cooled down good before stretching.

• Thanks for posting the numbers.   I'm always curious about how much people back off during their recovery (that's what I consider the minute at the 70% level).   I'm afraid sometimes that I bunch my jumps in effort too closely together.

• Tim (sorry I called you Jim earlier)

For me I like to back off just to the point where I kind of get that "Ahh" feeling and my heart rate starts coming down. If I don't get the "Ahh" feeling, then I probably am not getting much recovery. On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm sitting on the beach with a fruity drink in my hand either during the recovery minute either. I'll save that for when I'm celebrating completing my 12 week challenge! =)

• WOW!

THAT'S REALLY FAST !

I just started the TM routine about 5 - 6 cardio sessions ago. I'm at 5.3,5.4,5.6,5.7,5.8 & my 10 is now 6.9 all at incline 5.3. Ithink I'll be there for a while. I'm ok with that.

Will you be upping your next cardio now?

Claude

• Claude,

I think what you are doing is awesoem for a 5.3 incline! What I ran was without incline. I hate hill work which is why I really need to do more of it. I think my next workout will focus on upping the incline and reducing the speed. My goal is to get faster, but I don't want to hurt myself in the process! Haha. Doing too many of the same speed workouts in a week increase my injury rate.

• And apparently I can't spell either. lol

• Nice work marathon lightning speed there.. im able to get to 1.9 miles in my twenty im shooting for somewhere between 2.2 and 2.5 miles.. speeds 2 mins 4.0  then 5.3,6.3,7.3,8.3 level 10 8.7 with a slight incline nothing drastic.. but after I'm definitely spent lol