BodPod...

• So this afternoon I had my little appointment with the egg-shaped space looking device to measure how much fat and lean muscle were in my body...I went in with a open mind knowing that the results were not going to be great, but they weren't going to be devastating either cause I've been working my rear off the last several months. (Thanks, Darcy on giving me a heads up about the numbers...)

So the stats show that this 42-yr young, 5'9, 184# lady has 124# of lean muscle and 60 lbs. of fat on her body (32.9%)...Just numbers; numbers that I can work with...numbers that will go down (up on the age and lean muscle :) with every rep and every min. I spend doing HIIT...numbers that will change with all the healthy stuff I'm fueling my body with every day...numbers that WILL change!!

On another note, I have the Omiron handheld device that I've been using and I told the trainer that and she stated that the bodpod was +/- 3% accurate while the BFscales/ handhelds were +/- 5% accurate. I tested with my handheld this evening (prob shouldn't have done after my workout) and the reading was 30.1% so in the ballpark. I will go back to the bodpod in June to get a reassessment after this C2 is complete so I can see what progress I make.  After that however since the handheld was just a couple %'s off of bodpod, I will use that (cheaper!)

Hope this info helps someone who uses one of the handheld devices and remember...YOU have the POWER to CHANGE the NUMBERS! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Awesome to get that done. Lucky you MO. Silly question here....dont your bones weigh something? You cant be super human and just lean muscle and body fat can you?

Or can you....you did go into the egg....

Im just wonderin.

• Sorry Debbie, missed this post.  I will let you know my results tomorrow!

• I love your attitude! Bravo for making that investment. The numbers are just the place to start from. Sounds like you really  "get it" so enjoy the journey.  :) Irene

• Hey MO - I googled skeleton weight. Google says the human skeleton is 14% of total body weight. Maybe that can be figured into your bod pod numbers?

• Hi,

So, I had my hydrostatic body fat test today.  I had gone to the gym Monday afternoon and had a trainer use calipers and he came up with 29.7% .  I couldn't believe it, it was way higher than I expected.  I just wasn't sure that he was doing it right, so this morning I did the hydrostatic and my results were 23.3%.  I am thrilled with those results, it helps me set a body fat % goal for this challenge.  I am aiming for under 20%.  I am so glad that I spent the money to go.  Just wanted to let you all know.

Jill

• I have an Omron handheld too. It says to use it in the morning in a fasted state preferably on a day you didn't lift weights the night before. The more hydrated you are the lower a reading you will get. It measures electrical current and fat does not conduct as well so any weight from water it will read as nonfat or LEAN BODY MASS. When you said Lean Muscle you really mean Lean Body Mass because like Legs mentioned it is muscle bones and everything else. LBM is my main focus these days and body fat coming in second. Hope this is useful info.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Jill:

I used the calipers too but only for guaging how much I was losing not for the real number.  I assume that the hydrostatic test is not something you will be doing as often as you will be measuring, so using the calipers just get a snapshot of how much it has decreased is a good method.

IE:  I had one of the tests done at the beginning which said I was 24.7% where as the calipers said 29%.  At the end, the test said 12.4%, and the calipers 17.5%.  So, while the calipers didn't work as an accurate representation of my BMI, they were accurate in measuring the amount lost.

• Armster, when you say BMI do you mean Body Fat % as BMI is a formula that just uses weight and height and does not take into account body composition? I do agree that the measurements from different methods have varying levels of accuracy but comparing the two measurements from the same method shows progress.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

• I didn't know there was a difference between BMI and body fat %. Guess I never thought about it. Please explain.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Body mass index - I simply meant body fat% as a portion of body mass....nothing really more than that.

Those electronic scales are the worst by the way, they only take into account height x weight x age and that's completely inaccurate.  What a scam those things are and at the 30 bucks min. a pop someone's getting rich of something that doesn't work.  Imagine.

• BMI is is a statistical measure which compares a person's weight and height. Though it does not actually measure the percentage of body fat, it is used to estimate a healthy body weight based on a person's height.

Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of his or her height.

Body Fat Percantage is the percent of a persons weight that comes from fat.

fat / total body weight  x 100.

For example.

My current weight is 180lbs and I am 5'7"

My BMI is 28.2

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Using an Omron handheld body fat calculator my body fat yesterday was 16.4%

That means I have 29.5 lbs of fat and 150.5 lbs of Lean Body Mass.

My goal for this challenge is 160 lbs of lean body mass and 20 lbs of fat.

20 / 180 x 100 = 11.1% body fat

My BMI would still be 28.2.

• The handhelds are less accurate but give you a a way to track progress where the scale leaves you lacking.

The Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) method is a more affordable but less accurate way to estimate body fat percentage. The general principle behind BIA: two conductors are attached to a person's body and a small electrical current is sent through the body. The resistance between the conductors will provide a measure of body fat, since the resistance to electricity varies between adipose, muscular and skeletal tissue. Fat-free mass (muscles) is a good conductor as it contains a large amount of water (approximately 73%) and electrolytes, while fat is anhydrous and a poor conductor of electrical current.

• Great explanation and visuals BryanL.  High 5!

• According to the "normal range" in BMI charts I should weight between 121 to 153. I think BMI is ok for an entire population but not for the individual to set goals. With my lean body mass being between 145 and 150 I seriously doubt 153 would be a good weight for me even though I am 5'7" I am current 5 to 10 pounds from being in the obese range.