Year 1 - For Good

• Hi all,

I just found the forums a few weeks ago having not been to the website since it was overhauled.  It was exactly 1 year ago today I started Body for Life.  I read the book in January 2010 but the food part just seemed to daunting so I put it off a few weeks.  I also had a big family event coming up in May, so I thought that by putting it off, the 12 week challenge would coincide with the event. 

I was motivated by a variety of things.  I really didn't like the way I felt.  I had been heavy since middle school and it just got worse until last year when I reached 260.  When I was sad, stressed, happy, or bored, I'd reach for something to eat.  I had some success on my own eating the same but working out, but I wanted to see exactly how well I could do.   I'm not on the short side (5'11") but I still knew I shouldn't be that heavy or eat half the things I did.  Finally, on February 23rd, 2010 I started Body for Life.  I must say the food part was the most difficult.  The first few weeks were the most difficult but I stuck to it.  The first few free days were extremes in indulgence.  12 weeks later, I was down to 230 and feeling pretty good.  I knew I could keep doing better, so I just continued.  I hadn't heard about "active rest" so I just continued going.

So today is day 365.  Two iPod shuffles later (lost 1 at the gym then got a replacement with the actual buttons on it), 5 pants size smaller, and 98 lbs lost.  I was hoping to hit 100 for today but I think 98 is pretty darn good.  I actually got a little emotional today realizing exactly how much I had done in the past year.  It's been such a change.  My emotional connection to food is so much less than it was before.  I always had a sweet tooth but even ice cream and chocolate don't really appeal to me as much anymore.  My free Sunday was spent eating out (but still healthy) and indulging in a few squares of dark chocolate.  Even now, 1 square seems to be more than enough.  Just the taste is good enough for me.  

It's a great feeling to have done so much.  I have so much more energy and I just feel so much better.  There are always the things you don't think about when you lose weight.  I had to buy all new shoes since my feet shrunk.  Also, I'm not used to winter of any type here in Southern California.  I can't imagine living anywhere remotely colder since now I'm dressed like I belong in New York. 

After reading about active rest, I think it's time for some of that.  I'm planning on finishing off this week then taking off two weeks to try some yoga, swimming, spinning, and other classes at my gym.  It just feels like a new beginning.  I've never felt so good when I buy clothes and have to keep buying smaller sizes.  I still have 1 or 2 xxl shirts in my closet and I just laugh when I put it on.  I'm down to medium now.  I hope to keep active on the boards now that I know they exist.  Have a great day everyone. Don't let the wet blankets get to you.  I was told I lost my butt as a result of all of this.  I just tell people I work my butt off.

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better? Because I knew you I have been changed for good."

• Congratulations!!!!  That is an awesome accomplishment!  Keep up the good work.  Enjoy your active rest.

Eat clean! Lift heavy!

Malena

• Thanks for sharing your story.  That is wonderful and I am so happy for you.  Excellent job.  Enjoy all the new classes you are going to try out.  

• wow, a whole year!  I'm in C2 and afraid if I ever stop I will go back to the way I was.

• Thank you all for the kind responses.  It really makes me feel welcome :-)

The best part is seeing people I haven't seen in a while.  My friend's uncle (who I've met plenty of times over the years) introduced himself to me as if we hadn't met.  It was hilarious.

I will say that eating clean makes me feel so much better.  I slipped up a bit yesterday and I could really feel it.  Food hangover for sure.  It was only too glad to get back to eating BFL food.  I even cut down to one coffee today (from 3) because I just wanted to get rid of all the excess from yesterday.  

OptiGirl, I'm afraid to go back to the way I was as well.  I know I won't always have the choices I need to maintain what I eat or what I do.  I had to go to a family birthday at Buca di Beppo a few weeks ago and I agonized over it for weeks.  In the end, I realized that one meal won't make me gain back the (then) 94 lbs I had lost.  Just to feel a little less guilty, I took an extended walk before and after dinner.  All you can do it the best you can and face each day as a new day.  You might slip up but you can always do better the next day.  

Thank you all for your kind words.