Week 7 but things are not going well.....

• Hi everyone.

Am in Week 7 of my first challenge. And today had a Body composition analysis at Golds to compare with the one I had at the start. Things clearly are not going well. I am doing all the workouts and I think I am keeping to the food but I can't help feeling things are not going well. Grateful if a few of you more experienced BFL would look at my numbers and typical day menu to see if you can spot where I might be going wrong.

Figures

Start                    Wk 7

Body Composition Analysis

Total body water    56.6                        57.2

Protein                   15.1                       15.3

Mineral                    5.29                      5.38

Body Fat Mass      43.2                       40.4

Muscle - Fat Anaylsis

Weight                   120.2kg                  118.3kg

S M M                      43.6                       44.2

Body Fat Mass        43.2                       40.4

Obesity Diagnosis

BMI      KG/M2           34.7                      34.2

PBF %                      35.9                     34.2

WHR                       1.06                      1.04  

Typical day's meal plan

Wake up - 250 ml Orange juice in water and teaspoon of creatine

Meal 1 (after workout) Protein shake (Myoplex lite) + spoonful of creatine

Meal 2 4 egg omlette (one yoke) with pieces of red/green peppers and bowl of Quaker instant oats + glass of water

Cup of hot chocolate - small - starbucks

Meal 3 Sandwich (2 slices of smoked turkey with philadelphia light on rye bread) and a boiled egg + glass of water

Meal 4 Protein Bar or 3 boiled eggs and an apple/banana & diet 7 up

Meal 5 Myoplex shake  or  3 boiled eggs and an apple/banana

Meal 6 Medium baked potato, salmon/chicken steak and a cup of frozen chopped vegetables

Bedtime - cup of ovaltine made with skimmed milk and water

Other supplements (1 CLA capsule, one multivitamin, one omega 3 capsule)

• First off, you have losses which are GREAT!! Do not minimize those!!

But here is my opinion:

Typical day's meal plan

Wake up - 250 ml Orange juice in water and teaspoon of creatine

i WOULD NOT DRINK OJ (EMPTY CALS), USE JUST WATER AND THE CREATINE IF YOU LIKE.

Meal 1 (after workout) Protein shake (Myoplex lite) + spoonful of creatine

OK

Meal 2 4 egg omlette (one yoke) with pieces of red/green peppers and bowl of Quaker instant oats + glass of water

OK (BUT MAKE SURE THE PROTEIN IS OK)

Cup of hot chocolate - small - starbucks

I WOULD SAY BYE-BYE TO THIS FOR SURE!!!! GO ON LINE AND SEE THE STATS...

Meal 3 Sandwich (2 slices of smoked turkey with philadelphia light on rye bread) and a boiled egg + glass of water

DROP THE CREAM CHEESE, TRY EZEKIEL BREAD INSTEAD AND THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE PROTEIN HERE

Meal 4 Protein Bar or 3 boiled eggs and an apple/banana & diet 7 up

BARS ARE A LOT OF SUGARS...CHECK THE WRAPPER... THE BOILED EGGS: YELLOWS TOO? AND I HOPE YOU ARE CHOOSING ONE FRUIT PREFERABLY THE APPLE, AND I WOULD NIX THE DIET SODA

Meal 5 Myoplex shake  or  3 boiled eggs and an apple/banana

IS IT A MYOLITE? AGAIN YOLKS OR NOT AND ONE FRUIT PREFERABLY APPLE, AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH PROTEIN IF YOU ARE EATING THE EGGS (I GET THE FEELING MAY BE TOO LITTLE)

Meal 6 Medium baked potato, salmon/chicken steak and a cup of frozen chopped vegetables

GOOD. WHAT ARE THE MEAT/FISH PORTIONS HERE?

Bedtime - cup of ovaltine made with skimmed milk and water

OVALTINE, NOT APPROVED, CHOOSE MAYBE SOME NON FAT COTTAGE CHEESE AND BERRIES, OR MYO LITE SHAKE...

Other supplements (1 CLA capsule, one multivitamin, one omega 3 capsule)

NOTES:

YOUR PROTEIN SHOULD BE ABOUT YOUR BODY WEIGHT DIVIDED BY THE 6 MEALS AND SPREAD EVENLY AT EACH ONE. CARBS SHOULD ALSO BE ABOUT THE SAME.

YOU ARE DOING FINE, JUST MAYBE SOME SMALL CHANGES WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

• Hi thanks for this.

In the sandwiches I have been using Mestemacher Fitness Bread

Boiled eggs - I am eating the yokes as well.

The salmon steaks I have been getting are in a can with 20g of protein given on the packet details. Chicken - usually just one chicken breast.

I think my protein  in take is around about my body weight but will do some counting to check.

• I just feel that with all the work I have been putting in my results should be better than 2kg.
  • If possible do you cardio workouts before you eat and then wait a hour before you eat.  With weights eat soon after the workout.

The scale is one of the worst measure of fitness.  You have to ask yourself do you feel better do you look better.  The scale does not matter.

• Hi thanks for this.

No prob ;)

In the sandwiches I have been using Mestemacher Fitness Bread

The nutritional info for just 1 piece is 120 cal, 1 F, 24 C, and 4P. If you are having 2 slices obviously these numbers double and take you over...(may even be higher...not sure what the service size actually is can be as high as 172 cals, 33g C per 100g serving)

Boiled eggs - I am eating the yokes as well.

maybe consider one yolk and more egg whites...

The salmon steaks I have been getting are in a can with 20g of protein given on the packet details. Chicken - usually just one chicken breast.

This is probably not where the problem is lying

I think my protein  in take is around about my body weight but will do some counting to check.

That is a place to start.

* I just feel that with all the work I have been putting in my results should be better than 2kg.

Remember, this is a process that takes time to get it right and be comfortable with. Your body has to adjust. Things ARE happening that you may not be able to see on the outside yet. Take your time and make the necessary adjustments. You will be happy you did. And remember as well, 2kg is 2kg. You are building muscle as well so the scale is not a good measure. Don't give up.  Like BFLer's always say ( and i repeat it as a mantra)...

PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION!!!

How are your clothes fitting? do you have more energy? skin, hair and nails better? sleep better? wake up better? these are all important areas to look at as well.

There are definitely extras you can cut/change that may make all the difference.

• and like Flip Flop said, if you can do your cardio first thing and eat 1 hour later and then with in 30 minutes after weights...may help too...

• Thanks for all this. I suppose after reading through the BFL book I was expecting to have really big weight loss in the first challenge. I know some women who started the same time as me on Jan 3rd have lost over 10lbs (around 4kg) and guys are supposed to lose it faster from what I have read.

Anyway will try to take these ideas on board  - hopefully get a few more and plod on.

Looks like I will be doing a C2 and C3 to get where I want to be though.

• The measurements aside... How did you feel before you learned this, and how do you look?  Are your clothes getting looser?  Are you getting stronger? Are you getting definition?

I'm on week 7 too and have not measured myself once - the clothes are doing it for me.  I am not ripped, and I am only starting to notice my calves are developing.  Although I never considered myself having lots to lose, I too will be completing a few challenges this year.  Don't give up!

• Hello,

The food motifications that ayummymommy gave you are terrific and spot on! Those changes alone should help you alot.  As far as your workouts are going please make sure that you are pushing hard in the gym and making every workout count. Here are a few questions to ponder...

Do you feel the burn when lifting and do you add a few more reps once the burn begins?

Are you shaking on the last few reps?

Are you struggling to life the weight (with good form)?

Are you giving your muscles a little more weight than they can handle to allow them to grow effectively?

When your workout is over do you feel like your exhausted?

Does your cardio feel strenuous?

You should answer YES to all the questions. If not, tap into your inner-athlete and work harder. The results will come. Also, make sure the same person is checking your bodyfat, the results can vary by 3-4% depending on the examiner.

Regards,

Lori

• Thanks everyone for this - have dropped to 115.9kg today. Time to enjoy a free day!

• Congrats!! That is AMAZING!!!