The free day

• What the free day is not:

-          The free day is not a cheat day. It is part of the program so you do not cheat if you eat outside the weekdays diet.

-          The free day is not a day to obsess about gaining X amount of weight in a day

-          The free day is not a day to go all out and binge or overeat just because you can

-          The free day is not a day  to feel guilty about eating or even overeating

What the free day is:

-          The free day is a day to reflect and observe our eating habits

-          The free day is a day to enjoy with family and friends

-          The free day is a day to relax

Why am I an advocate for the free day?

-          The free day helps us successfully transition into the BFL program without feeling deprive

-          The free day helps to realize changes by allowing awareness of our cravings and our eating habits without guilt (only if you do not fall into the guilt trap, of course)

-          The free day repairs our bodies and prepares our minds for the coming week

-          If a person is doing OK during the week there is no way he can gain a pound of fat during the free day. In order to gain a full pound of fat you need to eat 3500 extra calories. That’s a huge amount of extra calories to eat in a single day.

-          The free day is an opportunity to exercise changes (in a natural, non-obsessive way) to our regular eating habits and make them healthier.

-          The free day prepares us for the transition from the 12 weeks program to “regular life”

-          The free day allows us to enjoy social events where there is always going to be food that doesn’t belong to the regular weekdays in the BFL program. After all humans are social animals.

Live life with passion!

• Amen!  I learned the art and science of taking real free days in Challenge 2.  

Thank you for sharing that!

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• I agree. I dislike when people call Free Day "Cheat Day". How is it cheating is it is allowed?

It is not just a mental tool it always keeps our bodies from going into "starvation mode" and holding onto our body fat. Moderation in all things....

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Very well said, MyDecade!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I still hate this free day... not worth the extra 4 lbs I gain but my wife makes us do it...

• Yesterday was my free day....

It was also my sister's birthday party. And I enjoyed myself. I ate everything from cheese to cake. It felt great.

No. I will not weight myself. Why? Because after the first four weeks when I weighted myself a saw "no improvement" I decided not to take the scale too seriously.

I want to enjoy, my weekdays and my free day. It is all about enjoyment. I do not want to obsess about how much I weight or how many results I'm noticing.  I want to enjoy. I want to enjoy life. I want to celebrate life. If I obsess it feeds my addictions. I want to eat better every day until I am satisfied and not completely full and bloated. Including my free day. I want to change my thoughts and stop the madness. Be fit and enjoy the process. The whole process. I want to be able to say: enough, I have eaten enough I do not need more. With calm and peace inside of me.

It was a wonderful free day.

Live life with passion!

• HASAM - Porter Freeman said that it's your free day, you are free to use it or not.  

Eating 200 extra calories of broccoli will do the same thing to keep starvation mode away as will what we typically think of with free day.  I'm not saying you need to do it that way, it's just something to think about.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• "Yesterday was my free day....

It was also my sister's birthday party. And I enjoyed myself. I ate everything from cheese to cake. It felt great.

No. I will not weight myself. Why? Because after the first four weeks when I weighted myself a saw "no improvement" I decided not to take the scale too seriously.

I want to enjoy, my weekdays and my free day. It is all about enjoyment. I do not want to obsess about how much I weight or how many results I'm noticing.  I want to enjoy. I want to enjoy life. I want to celebrate life. If I obsess it feeds my addictions. I want to eat better every day until I am satisfied and not completely full and bloated. Including my free day. I want to change my thoughts and stop the madness. Be fit and enjoy the process. The whole process. I want to be able to say: enough, I have eaten enough I do not need more. With calm and peace inside of me.

It was a wonderful free day."

Amen!! I am getting there...the guilty feeling still grabs hold of me at times, but maybe that is because I am sometimes not totally in control on my free day. It is not a cheat, it is free, to take or not, in abundance or not...I am working on that!!

• HASAM -- In order to gain 4 pounds on your free day you'd need to consume 14,000 calories in excess of what you're burning on a given day.   So you're eating 16,000 calories?   You should post the video to YouTube.  ;-)

• Okay that was funny.

Most "gain" weight after free day because of the physical weight of the food, which of course will digest and leave the body and the sodium, which causes retention.  

I am against an all out free day and admit I often do it.  It's not healthy behavior, regardless of the scale.  That being said, almost no free day behavior can cause 4 pounds of weight gain.  

I do think that crazy free days do stall progress though, so they can cause a few pounds of gain or for a few pounds not to be lost.  It's not as "clean" as calories in / calories out.

• Hi Jessica,

I think what Tim was talking about was REAL weight gain (Fat Weigh to be precised). Water retention, boaltness etc is not real weight gain.

It is known that one pound of body fact = 3500 calories and the only way to gain REAL weight, i.e. one pound of fat is by eating 3500 calories above what you need to burn just to live. So yes, Tim is right, you need to eat 14000 extra calories to gain four pounds of REAL body fat.

You might "gain" weight from building muscle (ideal), water retention, bloatness and many other stuff but what you should avoid is gaining body fat.

Live life with passion!

• Scale weight is by far one of the worst measures of fitness.  Even if we take it at face value it does not know the difference between Fat, Muscle and Water.

99% of the gains people notice from free day is very simply water retention.  With the extra sodium we take in from the kinds of foods that can have on freeday.  The retention for those of us on whole healthy diets is even worst because our bodies are no longer used to excessive sodium.

The amount of food you would have to eat to gain multiple pounds of fat is crazy and does not even take into account your bodies lack of ability to process in the quantities needed causing much of it to get flushed out of our system.

Please put the scale away and enjoy life.  This is a lifestyle we are we are not prisoners.  You are free to take your freeday or not to take your freeday.  Please do not ruin this day for others because they may need it and they do not need to feel guilty about it.

• MyDecade

That's being called into question by scientists, calories to pounds.  Also, it's not an exact science even if correct.  Think about it, then why do BFL?  If calories in / calories out were the only factor then why not just count calories?  Your muscle make up alters calories burned, when you take them in depend on how much you process and for that matter, burn.  It's related to the healthy fat you take it, vitamins, etc.  There are literally thousands of variables.  

Keep in mind that some bodies are more efficient at burning calories so even if the math were correct in a laboratory setting, it's not in life.

Your point is correct, but nothing I said disagreed.  I'm sure he was talking fat and that's why I put gain in " marks.  You don't know if you gained fat, water or muscle so I wasn't making the point that it likely wasn't fat.  

• Dear Jessica,

Yes. At the end to lose weight what counts is calories in versus calories out. Counting calories does work. I've seen it work for various people around me.  

Even BFL book says it is bottom line calories in (you take in) calories out (calories you burn and and the ones you do not process, i.e. flushed out of your body). It is the law of energy and there is no way around it. I would have to look up the book for the page and I don't have it in front of me right now.

BFL does promote increased muscle mass through weight lifting which means your calories out are increased. Also it promotes efficiency in burning through heatly six small meals a day, which increases calories out too.

At the end BFL what body for life does is increase your calories out while maintaing your calories in to create a differential in order to burn fat.

And as far as I know 1 pound of fat = 35000 calories in a "normal" person. if you do have a different scientific information please do and share. I would want to know.

The point is it is almost impossible to gain four paounds of fat in a single day. This happens over time. You accumulate 0.25 of a pound one day, then 0.5 another day and so on until you are fat. The free day can not make you gain four pounds of fat, unless you are a Sumo restler and trying very hard to gain weight!

Live life with passion!

• MyDecade,

Pretty sure you have a typo of  "35000" which should be "3500"

Flipflop