As a man that lives with Adversities, I can tell you when I read this article in 225 (September 2010) it raised some questions in my mind.....Being a New Orleans Saints fan it was hard for me not to read the words of Drew Brees...
Here is what he had to say:
1. Don't view adversity as a disruption of life, but as an opportunity. He went on to say that ...Many people would define "the good life" as one that's free of pain, hardships and heartache....Brees injured his shoulder and his team chose to trade trade him..To find another job in the NFL he had to prove he could recover physically, and he could achieve more than he ever had. Well we all know that story!!!!! He said adversity can unleash a power in your life that will make you stronger and help you achieve amazing ----things you may never thought possible.
2. Find the positive from every negative. Brees gives examples of of negative experiences in his life, but after further reflection he was able to extract positive lessons from the negative and it helped him to become a better person.
3. When you think negative thoughts, negative things usually happen. On the flip side if you think positively and visualize success, that's usually what you get.
4. You have to trust in God to see the bigger picture. You must choose to live form the heart. It took faith to come to a hurricane ravaged city to play for the Saints instead of the sunny beaches of Florida playing for the Dolphins.
5. Remember you are you and we all are here for a purpose. You can find that purpose in doing the small things well, in taking things one day at a time. That purpose will always have an element of serving others.
6. Finish strong. It is not where you start in life, but rather how you finish. Keep it simple: In everything you do, make your last rep your best rep.
I think we all have a lot to learn about Adversities and know that I have...I have always viewed them as being an obstacle that was so hard to over come and usually didn't...With all of the medical adversities I have had over the last 2 years I can now take another look ant even my newest one and see how I can turn it around...In Bills book Body-for-Life he explains a lot about this and I've read it a hundred times, but until now didn't take much stock in it...."Sometimes you can't see the forest for the Brees" (whoops!! I mean Trees) John
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I loved the part about positive and negativer thoughts. I believe thoughts are things. Negative thoughts attract negativity and negative situations and results. Positive thoughts attract positive situations and results. It is true in the gym and it is true in all things in life. Glad to hear you are seeking out the positive. Being positive or negative is a choice and you are making the right one.
All the best
Awesome Motivation Right here. Thanks for Posting Up. Now I have yet one more thing to push me when Im "standing still"
Thanks, Orrin and B-E-A-R , I appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you...John
© Abbott Laboratories,2013