The scale

• I'm in week 8.  I lost on the scale 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks and I haven't lost any weight since - yes, I know I should not be going by the weight on the scale.  So far, I am pretty happy that my previously chubby arms are getting a nice shape and people have commented on them.  My pants are loose, I've gone down a bra size, and those fat rolls on my back are gone but I really want to see the number on the scale drop.  Does weight loss happen during a particular point in this program or all throughout or does it just depend on the person?  I really want to drop another 10 lbs on the scale.  I think I'm following the eating plan pretty close, the gym workouts are good - should I work harder on the cardio?  Is the cardio where the fat gets reduced? 

Janice

• Janice-my first challenge most of my changes happened in wk 9 and up...I'm starting my last week of C2 and I will tell you this, try not to get wrapped up in the numbers because...last night I was talking to some ladies who want to start BFL, we were discussing how much wt I had lost, where I started etc... They thought I weighed 140-145 lbs...I weigh 170! I don't care about the number anymore!!

So if you can, try and focus on the feelings you have about the changes and how the clothes fit, I know it's hard...I'm sure these last few weeks are going to be awesome for you. Keep up the great work!! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Hi Janice,

It sounds like you're making great progress!  I know it's hard not to pay attention to the scale, but even though the scale isn't moving, your body is obviously changing.  The scale will eventually change too if it needs to.  In the meantime, concentrate on the other awesome changes you're seeing, like pants getting loose and seeing physical changes in the mirror!

Keep up the good work!

Dave

• I'm with DebbieMO on this one.  I'm currently in the smallest size I've ever been in and actually 15lbs more than I did at my pre-weight gain weight.  As long as you are seeing results, the scale really shouldn't matter.  It's when your results stall and you stop losing inches that you need to re-examine your meal plan.  

For a lot of people the scale has an emotional connection for them.  In reality it's just a number, a simple data point.  If that number impacts you on an emotional level, you need to dig a little deeper and figure out why that bothers you.  Until you do, the scale will always control you instead of the other way around.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• definitely take your measurements!  i had slow scale movement in my first challenge, too, but i consistently dropped inches every 2 weeks when i would measure.  

• Hi Janice,

Don't you worry about what that scale says. Before I started Body for LIFE, I had to lose 10 lbs. to go down a pant size-not true with BFL. Strength training makes such a difference in how your body responds to losing weight. With BFL, I can lose just a 3-4 pounds, and go down a size-and I'm convinced now, after almost five years, that it's the strength training that has made a difference.

In my first challenge, I lost close to 40 lbs., and a great deal of it was from week 8 on. Things really started to happen then. I am now at my goal weight and have been here since the end of my second challenge. I'm down 100 lbs from my heaviest, and I lost the last 50 or so with BFL. It truly is a lifestyle for me-don't much think about what I'm eating anymore during the week-give MORE thought to eating on free day-simply because I don't like the feeling of being too full, or how greasy foods affect me now.

All the Best as your pursue your Body for LIFE!

Amy

~To be great is not to be higher than another, but to lift another higher.