C1W12D2 & Sick AGAIN!

• Okay here goes.....

I'm on the last week of BFL and I find myself sick AGAIN!!!!!  This is the fourth time I have been sick during this challenge.  I have two kids so it just seems to make the rounds over and over again.  Sickness number three really knocked me off the wagon for a week and a half, but I got back with the program.  But this time, I'm really having a hard time.  Many years ago I did BFL, but never was committed enough to do more than three weeks at a time.  So I am happy that I've stuck with it, but I just can't help but feel terribly frustrated with all the interruptions that have 'stolen' my results.  My biggest struggle has been to change some key habits like getting up early enough to exercise first thing (before the kiddies are up) and consistently grocery shopping so healthy food is always in reach.  (I don't buy unhealthy food, but if the good stuff isn't around, somehow pizza ends up being delivered.)  So, when I've gotten sick and then my kids, and we were in urgent care in the middle of the night, etc. it has really meddled with the new habits I was, and still am, working on.

Anyway, I guess I'm just venting.  I so wanted to finish the week strong, but I find myself in bed and with a sick toddler also.  Anyway, like I've seen it written so many times, it's Body-for-life, not for 12 weeks.  And since I have a lot of weight to loose, this was never about 12 weeks anyway.  I have lost 41 pounds of scale weight (61 pounds of fat loss per an online calculator - 20.15 during this challenge) as of April 30th (since January 1st) (and I've had alot of other great improvements.  I guess I can call it progress not perfection and have to take my challenge for what I was able to make of it.  A very good 9 weeks and the other 4 weeks, falling and getting back up again.

In June, I'm taking a break from BFL.  I am planning on doing three weeks of just fun cardio, biking, hiking, walking and a little jogging.  I don't think I can face my elliptical after this week is through.  Then I plan on jumping back in for another challenge.  Has anyone read Bill Phillips Transformation blog?  I'm not really sure what all the particulars are, but one thing I picked up is that he said that if you have a lot of fat to lose (I still do) that two weight workouts and four cardio would be best.  Everyone's thoughts?

Okay, I know this is getting long, but I did want to add a big thank you to everyone who posts on this site.  I love to read the encouragement and yes, even some of the struggles.  So, thanks to all of you who 'give'.  God bless you.

• Bonwitty, during my 12 weeks, I was sick off and on for a couple weeks around weeks 4 and 5 and I know how frustrating it can be. I missed several workouts during those 2 weeks. You feel like you're really losing ground by not being able to get your workouts in but when I look at what you've accomplished, dropping 41 lbs overall, that is AWESOME!!! Try not to let these bumps in the road get you down. Try to focus on how well you've already done and when you feel better, just continue building on that! Don't focus on the "12 Week" thing, just take it a day at a time. You've already proven you can do this by losing 41 lbs so you're already a champ in my book!

Rest up and take care of yourself so you can be strong when you're well again! And keep that chin up because you're doing GREAT!!

Mike

• Thanks Mike.  I guess I just needed to vent.  So, I'll keep my chin up and keep on keepin' on.  Thanks so much!  I WILL conquer by continuing!!!!

• Bonwitty-

I suffer through the same thing- but the important thing is to rest when your body needs to- so it doesn't keep happening again and again.  Sounds like you are making amazing progress! Keep up the good work and don't let a few measily germs ruin the challenge for you!!

Stacy Lynn

• Bonwitty -

Losing approximately 61pounds of fat over less than five months!!! That is about 3lbs. of fat lost per week...INCREDIBLE!!!  Just be very proud of yourself for what you have accomplished thus far, get well, and keep on going.  Like you said it is NOT about 12 weeks for many of us.  Keep up the great work!

Julie

• Thanks everyone.  Like you said, I just need to remember what I've accomplished so far and keep focused on the 'for life' part and not get bogged down in a 'few measly germs' and such.  Thanks so much for the encouragement!  I was really getting down, but now I feel ready to keep moving forward.  I may not be able to complete this challenge strong, but I can keep moving in a forward direction.  I'll still post my results at the end of the week.  Then I'll take my 'active break' and start challenge #2.

And Stacy815, good thing you didn't give up in week 10.  That was an encouraging thread for me, thanks for writing it.  Keep on keepin' on!

• Bonwitty- can u give me a website for fat loss calculator?

Today is the day to NOT quit!!!! <3 EARGAL

• Sure.  I don't know how accurate it is, but they say it's the formula the Navy uses.  I figure that if it's wrong, it will be consistently wrong and still show my progress.  Here's my link.

www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator.php

This is just one of many out there.  Best wishes!

• L-Glutamine DEFICIENCY was the culprit (I think) in my case. I would get SICK every time I started a challenge....wiped out, sick, tired etc.

Then a fitness guy told me I needed L-glutamine. It builds your immune system AND helps your muscles to repair. It's not expensive, either.  

Cottage cheese has it, as well, but I am lactose intolerant. I would def give l-glutamine a try!

• I had (and still am) taking L-glutamine, but only once or twice a day.  Did you take it more often Confidence?  I actually got sick several times.  And of course having young kids attributes to that some.  Love to know about the amount of L-glutamine and anything else that I could take on a regular basis to help the immune system.  I do have one product but it's only for short term use.  Thanks.

• Oh and just for the record I am taking:

4 omega tablets (500mg each)

5 Bone Up (calcium/potassium - 250mg each I think)

2 liquid multi-vitamin

1 B complex every other day

1 vitamin C every other day

Natural immune system builder on short term use as needed - usually when I feel something coming on.

L-glutamine once or twice most days

Protein shakes about once a day

Thanks.