Week of May 17th challenge starters post here

• HAOBRIEN (Heather) still here and plugging along!

My progress so far:

Weight: 156 down to 141

Body Fat %: 22.3% down to 18.8%

Pants Size:  Size 6 to a size 2

Can't believe there are only four weeks left.  I also made an appointment for my pictures and will probably make an appointment for "spray tanning." They say it helps show more muscle definition.  We'll see.

Have a great weekend!

Heather

• CorinneC i took my own measures but then my personal trainer also takes them when i see her every fortnight; hers where completly different to mine, she made it that I had lost an extra 3.5 inches so get your sister over to help again

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Glad you've seen the light SianmcLaren.  I recall it being very hard for you and a few others to wrap your head around not using the scale as the major measurement.  Congratulations on your progress!

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Hello all .. I had to stop at the end of week 3 .. I'm SO encouraged to read about all of your results because I'm starting again tomorrow!!  I have a broken pinky toe .. but it's healing really well and hopefully won't slow me down TOO much .. we'll see.  I'll keep checking back to see your progress .. knowing that I could have been there too is tough, but knowing that I will be there is ENCOURAGING!!!  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!  

• Hello everyone,

Week 9 began today, I hope it's going as well for you all as it is for Cassidy and I. Some guy came up to us after our upper body workout today and was like, "Ok... yall are transforming your bodies a lot faster than I am, yall look great, what are you doing?" I explained the program, but after leaving we couldn't help feeling excited because it was clear that we are making progress because complete strangers are noticing (he's not the first)

One thing I found:

I decided to skip my free day yesterday (which I was not excited about) because I feel that I while I am getting close to my goals, I want to ensure that I will reach them by the end of the challenge, plus I always have had a tendency to go a little too wild on my free days in weeks past and would end up feeling really bad on Monday or Tuesday. I wanted to see if this would help, so yesterday I ate like it was a normal day and instead of doing an all out cardio workout, I did some jump rope. Normally I'd weigh myself on Monday or Tuesday and would be disappointed to see the 2 or 3 extra lbs on the scale due to my overindulgence the day before- kinda felt like I was taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Today I weighed myself and noticed that I actually was down 2lbs, and didn't crave unauthorized food at all. Conclusion: If you want to increase your results, try limiting or cutting out your free day and see how you feel the next week. The free day definitely has its benefits, but I just wanted to put this out there in case any one else wanted to try it.

We are coming down to the stretch, I hope you all are as excited as I am.

- Madison Giammaria

• I have not posted but I have gained lost of inspiration from everyone's posts and words of support. I am also starting week 9 and more motivated than ever. I am one of BFL returns. I have done several successful challenges through the past 10 years and I am certainly a believer. My main challenge is to stick to it and maintain it as a way of life! That is what I am focusing on this time.

Since I started, I have lost 10 pounds and gone from size 8 to size 4. So, I know the changes are happening. I feel more confident and motivated to keep going full force. This time I know that I want to take the AR and restart with C2 right after. If I loose momentum and the routine, its hard to come back.

So, to all of you: GREAT JOB, GOOD LUCK, and STAY THE COURSE! Don't let yourselves down!

• HI Everyone!

Sorry that I haven't posted anything in the past couple weeks.  I have been on vacation......

I didn't eat real great while vacationing but try to balance it a bit with plenty of jogging and walking.  Back to my routine this am - kind of hard to get up at 5am, when you get out of the habit for a moment.  Hit the weights this morning - biceps, chest and a little leg.  Followed that up with 30mins on the stairmaster.

Hope everyone is still on track!  Congrats to everyone who is lasted on this forum this entire time!  And welcome to the newbies who are posting.

xoxo

pjs

• Madison,

This sounds like a great idea, should of read this yesterday before I had a beer and some pizza - :(

But I can still go strong the rest of the 4 weeks and not eat out.  I am soooo  excited to have made it this far regardless of the results that I am seeing, I do however feel better.  If I could get some quality sleep the rest of these 4 weeks, It would be great.  Going to try something new every night to see if I can get that done.  

Felt so good this morning a lady in the gym said I work out so diligently, she asked me what program and I gave here the site to Body for Life.  She sound interested in it, but we will see.  It's hard to get people to go on a strict routine, all kind of excuses.  But they will just have to see.  :)

Good luck May 17'ers!!!   Going for the stretch!!!!

Fine2008

• I took some pictures for week 8 and I was surprised! I still have a loooooong way to go, but in the four weeks since I took my last pictures, I think i've slimmed down quite a bit!

So excited to keep going...from what I hear the weight just falls off in last four weeks

• fine2008 and Madison

Whilst it is your choice I would strongly recommend you continue with your free day for several reasons:

1. Physiology - are bodies are excellent at adapting to new things, i.e only eating 1600 calories a day, and will learn to survive on this intake. Once it has adapted it will no longer feel it is in defecit with this amount and, as you have no doubt found on countless diets before, your weight loss will stall. The free day resets our bodies and stops it from adapting to the lower calorie intake.

2. Psychology - whilst going one week without a free day probably hasnt bothered you to much this is about changing for life and if you completly deny yourself of everything unauthorised your likely to put yourself on the slippery slope to a binge.

Also part of the thing with free day is for us to learn how to restrain ourselves and enjoy a few nice things without going completely overboard. It is vital that we learn these skills and CHOOSE to have a few small things rather than going all out or not having anything at all. Otherwise when the challenge finishes and you can go all out again you might.

The programme has worked for hundreds of people just as it is. I have so far lost 18 inches and I have enjoyed every single one of my free days. At the beginning they were all out splurges but I now choose to enjoy a cake with meal 3 and then have a free meal and wine at night. The fact that i choose to not go crazy gives me the comfort that when the challenge finishes I will choose to carry on eating like this and wont go back.

On page 15 Deirdre put some info from the original book from Bill Philips please have a read over it before you make this huge change to the plan.

Sian x

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Sian X,

Agreed, the program is great just as it is. This is my second successful challenge although last week was the first time I tried cutting out a free day. It's funny because I'm a strong believer in that BFL is perfect just the way it is, but I have also been following a lot of the past champions and one common trend I found is that they tried to limit their free days to free meals or cut them out all together. So I have decided to try this for my last four weeks.

In no way am I saying that everyone should do this because clearly people are making excellent strides with the program, as it was designed. Seeing as how I will be continuing the BFL lifestyle after this challenge (something  i slowly stopped doing after my first challenge, regrettably) I plan to use these last few weeks as a test to see how my body responds to not having a free day. If I like it I may continue it, if not then I'll throw the free day back in there.

I'm very familiar with the benefits though of having that one day a week. As Porter Freeman has said “It's your Free Day; you're free not to use it.” I can't overlook the fact that he did his first challenge without a free day (before the book was even written) and he became a champion.

For those of you that may be considering this option (not sure if any actually are), I really hope you read up on the benefits of the free days, and you really give it some thought before you make the decision to cut them out.

- Madison

• I am glad everyone is discussing free days. I also prefer to use them but as always I have a feeling of overdoing it. But, most days I do just fine. I will keep the free days for the benefits that Sian x mentioned above. I have done previous challenges in years past and have cut them out completely. It worked but certainly I didnt keep up the lifestyle for the long hall. So, this time I will keep them in and try to enjoy them for what they offer: an opportunity to make it a lifestyle for a lifetime!

Thanks for all the info and great discussion on this topic.

• Giammaria

I probably have a different outlook on it as I cant really send of my challenge as I live in Australia which has meant this is just for me and not a competition. It sounds like your doing really well and pushing for completing the challenge with a winning transformation. Giving up free days for 4 weeks probably wont seem so bad if it will get you near to being a champion i wish you lots of luck.

Sian

• anyone experiencing any miracles?!

• Hi everyone I'm still here I will admit this last week I skiped 2 days of the Challenge but I didn't take my free day. Whenever I do take my free day I eat like I would on any other day the only thing is I might have cake or ice cream with lunch if I try and over do it I will feel really bad come monday morning. I have stopped running because my right leg has been hurting alot I think I have a shine splint I am doing the bike, the elliptical and the stepper at the gym to compensate for the lack of running I also decided to do cardio every day. I really want to see better results I am really pushing myself these last 4 weeks. Good luck everyone I truely am proud of everyone who has been here this long. I myself did not think I would last this long. Thank you to all who post you have kept me going when I wanted to say I quit.

Dora