BFL Coffee Crew!

• Hi everyone!  Wow Donald, sounds like your rockin' with motivation!  I think maybe I've gotten to old and set in my ways.  I know that I can achieve the body I want with BFL, so I have no desire to KILL myself doing cross-fit or any of that other P90X type stuff.  Maybe I'm just a namby-pamby!  My real love is running and I just don't want to give that up either.  Congratulations on 10 years sober...that is AWESOME, AWESOME , AWESOME!

Optigirl, you do have me intrigued about the primal stuff though.  I've actually never heard of it.  I take it that it consists of exercises that you can do without any equipment?  I can see the plus side to that.  Don't think I'm anywhere near doing headstand pushups though!

I do recognize your name too, run4life.  How long have all of you been members of this group?  I really want to stay 'plugged in' so that I don't end up letting my hard work backslide and go on another hiatus.  I was in such good shape for so long, I still cannot believe I let it all go. What was I thinking? *PALM TO THE FOREHEAD*  It is going to take me quite a while to get it all back.  But I just have to remember a good quote that I heard once - "Don't worry about the time that it will take you to reach your goal. The time will pass anyway; make the most of it." And that is so true.  I actually tried to get back into the swing of things last year and even completed a challenge and let it all go.  When I sit back and think about it now, I could just choke myself.  I'd have over a year under my belt if I just would've stayed at it.  

Well, I just wanted to touch base. I'm doing good on both my eating and exercise.  Did cardio this morning at the gym and I am going to go on a bike ride just as soon as it cools down a little here.  It's been 100 here for the past two days..UGH!  

Hope you all have a wonderful evening and keep pushing!

• Amy - you put a smile on my face ... 'Maybe I'm just a namby-pamby!' I DON"T THINK SO...otherwise you would not be signing up for this kinda treatment ... lol. I am like you with on your thoughts about the ‘wish I would have started sooner’. I have dabbled in running for the past 17 years...prior to that did long distance running in high school track. But with the latest years of running over the past decade or so it would be as if I ran to eat. My weight would drop in the summer only to go up higher in the winter (live in the north USA). SO, in January, like many people. I ran my 4th in a row New Year’s Resolution Run - 4 miles...I saw some photos my wife and daughter’s boyfriend took of me running the race with my daughter. I thought to myself ... ‘yeah I am the guys the Paramedics watch in case they need to spring into action.’ So, January 9th I started BFL and joined a thread called the '9ers' some of those folks have migrated here as the 9er thread survived 2 BFL cycles and was starting to fade. During that time, some of the folks who hang on this thread actually cross threads to the 9er thread and threw out unsolicited support. It was fantastic and that is why I was able to continue on to my 3rd BFL cycle as well as other activity and why I hang here. GREAT FOLKS ARE HERE!!! I would not be here without their support. So I am a 'newbie' here too.

You will find folks popping in and out who have been here a while but I think in the summer it is a little slow overall...

For me I am still running. I will do my 17th annual ten miler in a few weeks ... a local charity run. I use BFL to help me continue to cut weight and to build some muscle. My daughter now has me engaged in endurance biking. So that is my focus as well. I intend to start a 4th BFL cycle in Sept (mid to end of the month) to help keep the fat off and to continue on down the scale.

OK too much of me – my favorite subject 

Hey Primal (Laura who chimes in here often - but has overseas company now and is B-U-S-Y  ) follows this is a way of eating and Opti/Donald/Bryan, I think eats Paleo style. Do a Google search and you will see what it is all about, plus I am sure these folks will also enlighten you, they love it as it has had great results in their lives. I am starting to put my own foot in the water about it.

Anyway have a good weekend.

I am off for a 100 km bike charity ride with my daughter in the AM on Saturday. I think it is time to show her that SHE needs to pick her bike training up a bit for our mega ride at the end of the month ;)

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• hey everyone!

jeff--how did the 100km bike ride go today?  I still want to hear more details of your Warrior Dash when you have the time.  Like what obstacles did you love/hate?  Did you all keep pace with each other? Did you get any splinters?  Bruised?

amy-- just want  to set this straight--I do NOT do headstand pushups, that would be awesome!  no, I've had this goal of kicking up into a handstand against a wall once I noticed a ton of other BFLer's could do it.  I've been struggling with it for about a year on and off and still haven't been able to do it.  But in the meantime, I practice headstands and wall climbs (another way to get into the handstand position) and I've come a long way with those. But for some reason, that elusive handstand kickup just stays out of my reach.

i'm Primal too.  Not Paleo, I don't know what I would do without dairy.  I focus on the nutrition since that is 80% of our success.  The exercise philosophy is kinda laid back compared to BFL. It doesn't say to use equipment or not, but more of a broad way to get it done: like one of the rules is "lift heavy things." "sprint once inawhile".  "play".   It's not regimented like BFL.

Today we went to see Batman and my husband splurged and got a small popcorn and medium lemonade.  We looked up the carb count later at home.  holy moses!  over 100 carbs in that snack.  A small popcorn at the theatre is not really 'small'.  Then he tested his blood sugar 3 hours after eating that.  He felt shaky.  We thought it would read a high blood sugar number, but it was actually LOW!  I bet it was fast-acting sugar and spiked, then came crashing back down.  He felt weird for hours after eating that.

On the other hand, I ate a big Primal breakfast of eggs, turkey, mushroom, onion and swiss fried in animal grease.  I was full for hours.  Had a few grapes at the movie.  Then came home to eat lunch and just wasn't hungry.  I seem to eat less frequently now.  I suppose it matches my low activity level.

Then it looked like it was going to rain soon, so I ran out the door and jogged to a school for monkey bars and hanging stuff.  Played on the parallel bars and pushups against park bench.  I just love being able to play on this stuff while there's no school.  My callouses are starting to rip a little, but in a controlled way?  since I only do this once a week.  they don't hurt.

• Optigirl - you make me smile 'it was going to rain soon, so I ran out the door and jogged to a school for monkey bars and hanging stuff' I love that stuff!. You are really living large. Keep it up!

My daughter and I rode the 100km bike ride Saturday. We pulled up a little short as it was 90 degrees out and she had some cramping going on. Not muscle related. So I could tell from about mile 12 through mile 50 she was really toughing it out and it wasn't much fun for her. So I told her that we should stop. It was a good ride for our upcoming 600 km ride in about 23 days. And we supported a great cause, baby congenital heart defects research. This ride was started by a couple at our church about ten years ago. They had a baby, Braylon, who fought for his life for a year and a half with many surgeries. He finally could not fight any more. It is amazing to see how he lives on in some many now ... 400 riders and a whole community supporting the cause. I cannot think of a better tribute to someone so young!

For the Warrior Dash, believe it or not I loved the float catamaran. Swim to the floating platform, pull yourself up, walk across the unsteady float and dive in and swim to the other shore. FANTASTIC!  The worst was wading through the mucky pig sty, knee deep to shoulder deep muck if you picked the wrong path. It stunk and was a sticky muddy mess. Thank god the next obstacle was a wet water scale the wall climb. At least if you lingered a little you could get cleaned off. All and all it was a blast! You are up in what about 2 weeks. Good luck and just enjoy it all. I was able to escape the course with just some   Bruises!

Optigirl - you make me smile 'it was going to rain soon, so I ran out the door and jogged to a school for monkey bars and hanging stuff' I love that stuff!. You are really living large. Keep it up!

My daughter and I rode the 100km bike ride Saturday. We pulled up a little short as it was 90 degrees out and she had some cramping going on. Not muscle related. So I could tell from about mile 12 through mile 50 she was really toughing it out and it wasn't much fun for her. So I told her that we should stop. It was a good ride for our upcoming 600 km ride in about 23 days. And we supported a great cause, baby congenital heart defects research. This ride was started by a couple at our church about ten years ago. They had a baby, Braylon, who fought for his life for a year and a half with many surgeries. He finally could not fight any more. It is amazing to see how he lives on in some many now ... 400 riders and a whole community supporting the cause. I cannot think of a better tribute to someone so young!

For the Warrior Dash, believe it or not I loved the float catamaran. Swim to the floating platform, pull yourself up, walk across the unsteady float and dive in and swim to the other shore. FANTASTIC!  The worst was wading through the mucky pig sty, knee deep to shoulder deep muck if you picked the wrong path. It stunk and was a sticky muddy mess. Thank god the next obstacle was a wet water scale the wall climb. At least if you lingered a little you could get cleaned off. All and all it was a blast! You are up in what about 2 weeks. Good luck and just enjoy it all. I was able to escape the course with just some   Bruises!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• We don't have a swimming obstacle at mine :(  but that sounds like awesome fun!  anything requring diving or jumping into water (where you dont hit bottom) is exciting to me. I've had dreams (not goals, but actual nighttime dreams) of doing that stuff for years.  those happy dreams where you're either diving or flying and you're not scared and the pool is so humongous, you know there would never be a pool that big in real life 'cuz it would take forever to clean and drain it if it got compromised or someone pooped in it.

I'm still looking at costume ideas.  It seems everyone comes wearing a tutu.  Or knee high socks.  Guys have the best costumes when they dress up like women.

I rode my bike to work today and on the way home, I stopped at the school playground again!  It's cooled off now and not so humid.  My latest thing is to hang from a bar with my knees.  Once I let go of my hands, it's like my torso just drops and then I use my abs to crunch back up.  SO HARD!!!  because you're vertical.  I can do just 1!  Another time I will try to do 2.  agh, it hurts the abs to work so hard AND the underside of your knees.

I'm a little better trying to do unassisted dips on these parallel bars.  They're a weird thing to see at a playground. I want to be a creeper and park on the side of the road during recess and watch how the other kids play with them, to give me more ideas.

I really want to find an 'old school' park with the dangerous metal poles and slides.  i remember this metal jungle gym we called the spider web.  It was cone shaped, you could climb it, then had fireman poles down the center.  I would stand at the bottom between the poles, grab them about  shoulder height, then somehow flip upside down while my grip was holding those vertical poles.  I really really really want to see if I could do that again.  It's just not the same with rings or a horizontal bar.  And don't even get me started on all the cool things you can do with the 2 metal support poles holding up the slide!

Alright, I want to invent a Warrior Dash with tons of playground equipment.  Or I need to go on American Gladiators TV show or something.

• In honor of Donald's 10 years of sobriety I am giving up all alcohol till my friends Wedding Sept 22nd. That is approx 7 weeks.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Well, back to the gym this morning - LBWO done!  I plan to start my 2nd challenge next week - food planning this week.  It was 1st day of school for my kids one in kindergarten and the other pre-school.  It will be interesting week for all of us!  Run, keep it up!  Opti, enjoy reading your post.  Keep it up.

• Jeff - my husband has bad knees and can't run (he actually hasn't been doing much of anything!) so I encouraged him to get a bike.  We decided to look for one at a garage sale since we live close to the coast.; after a few years sitting in the garage, it will be all rusted anyway. We found him one for $15 and it's a decent bike.  Well, he started following behind me while I ran.  Before you know it, he's riding everyday on his own.  Well, of course, I got jealous and wanted a bike of my own too.  I managed to find an even better bike for $20!  So, we have been going on short rides through the neighborhood for now.  Our neighborhood is very hilly and WHAT A WORKOUT!  Plus, it is also super windy where we live so you have resistance pretty near all the time.  I can't even imagine riding 600 Km!  Holy cow!

I've always wanted to do a Warrior Dash but people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that.  My husband would never subject himself to that torture.  To him, it's torture enough just running without the obstacles!  Anyway, I'm a huge tomboy at heart that loves to get muddy and it just sounds like great fun.  Maybe one of these days I'll go for it.  I think I need to continue to tone up and run a little more in preparation.  But, I do have a friend that would be right there beside me and we could do it together and celebrate with a cold beer afterwards.  Optigirl, I want to see your costume when you settle on one!  That's tough....I'd want to do something out of the ordinary too, but you have to consider comfort as well.  Hmmmm.....

Tonja - good luck on your 2nd challenge.  Things will probably go a lot smoother once the kiddos get back into the swing of things.  I always looked forward to school starting for my kids.  Summer just felt like there was no structure in our scheduling and my eating and working out usually suffered the most then.  I am a structured person that manages my time so much better if I actually have a busy day.  I think I'm such a procrastinator that if I have too much time on my hands, I just put everything off thinking "well, I've got plenty of time for that."  Then the time sneaks up on me and I've accomplished nothing!

Oh, BTW, I ran on Saturday morning and guess what I passed on the road?  A coral snake!  YIKES!  I left him alone and just politely kept on trucking....even picked up my pace a bit!  HA!

Well, better get back to work.  Just thought I'd check in.  Got my LBW in this morning and will probably hit my bike for a little ride this evening.  I always tell myself to just take it easy on the bike so that I don't tear my muscles down too much in one day, but the darned hills and wind make it impossible!  Oh well, I love it!

Have a great one guys!

• Howdy Folks,

Opti LOVE your attitude :-)

ok so went to Crossfit last night, we did some gymnastic stuff for the strength component, then the workout was actually pretty brutal. anyone been watching the weightlifting at the olympics? well then you know what a Snatch is, thats the one where it goes from grouns to overhead and they catch the bar while in a squat then stand up... well we did 1 snatch every 20 seconds for 12 minutes. i did  alight weight cos my squat is really weak but man by the 10th minute it was really working me over.

Todaysa workout is 50, 40, 30, 20 , 10 Double unders and sit ups. so 50 DU and 50 situps, then 40 of each etc. a Double under is skipping every 1 jump the rope passes under your feet twice. with my achillies still a bit stuffed ill do rowing instead so i row 500M, 400M, 300M etc do the sit ups inbetween, last time we dd this it took me almost 15 minutes... i remember the workout i was WASTED afterwards. so looking forward to it.

Bryan, you strong mentally dude, you will handle no booze with ease:-) Amy, welcome, and dont stress about your hubby, i think its a pretty common theme here that we have a spouce that isn't quite as into the wweird stuff that we are, they come around, or not... not much we can do about it besides just keeping on for US. :-)

gotta run, chat soon. cheers

• Oh yeah wanted to share this...

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

so are you stopping to look at a brick wall?

climbing over it?

or smashing through it like it doesn't exist at all?

either one is fine if thats what you want... i know what i prefer :-)

cheers

Amy... i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do a warrior dash.

• I want to CLIMB the brick wall!  Crap, that reminds me that indoor rock climbing is on my bucket list, forgot about that.

Donald--I forgot to congratulate you on your sobriety!  well done!!!!  

I had a couple nights in a row last week where I ate crap fast food and then more crap... but it never did a number on my stomach.  All the times I've cheated it would always rear its ugly head either that day or maybe a day later.  But nothing...  so I'm picturing it just rotting away in my body like it isn't going anywhere, or just got absorbed into my organs....  eeewww.

rode my bike to work 2 days in a row, and stopped at a park on the way home both times.  that's THREE days in a row I've played on monkey bars and hangy things!  I went to another park and they had higher parallel bars that were the height of my neck.  I tried to hoist myself up but not enough muscle power.  then I tried monkey bars that are like hanging rings.  I beat my record on those and got to 3 before the pattern curved and then got too unstable for me.  the fact that they swing used to be too hard for me.

I tried the 'hanging from my knees ab crunches" again.  did 1.  Then had to rest.  then got to TWO finally and I can feel I'm using my whole body, even my legs to squeeze back up there.

amy--people look at me like I'm crazy too when I say I want to do that stuff.  But stay confident, and once you get one under your belt, people start to get used to it.  And the people that don't, well their opinion doesn't really matter in the end.

i've SO gotten over my insecurity of playing at a park.  As long as I appear confident and get right to business, then it just looks like it's a strength routine.  If I were to go there and start playing in the dirt or pretend I'm a fireman or something, then I would draw attention to myself and the parents better keep an eye on me.  But with all the hype of Tough Mudders lately, I think more and more adults are  getting out in public and doing monkey bars.

• oh yeh, and I stayed up WAY too late last night searching the web for pictures of old playground equipment.  

• Optigirl

On my Warrior Dash there was one guy who ran as a huge banana…it was awesome!

I remember the spider monkey bars…. We had one on my playgorund. Right over the asphalt. It was amazing that more of us did not end up in the hospital!

Opti, way to go with the 'hanging from my knees ab crunches".

GO VERTICLE!!!

BryanL

Bryon you are a true great global friend… cannot think of a better way to honor a great friend -  ‘Donald's 10 years of sobriety’

Amynamy

Glad your husband is starting up with biking.  Watch out it is addictive and one thing I have realized is that it is much more expensive than the running hobby!  Even though you are on bikes, hills provide an excellent cardio workout.  Wind…I read somewhere that with biking, overcoming wind resistence is about 20% of the effort. So if you got head winds…it is an even great cardio workout. Hope you both keep it up!

As far as the Warrior Dash…I never thought I would do one. But it was such a blast that I already signed up for next year. Two weeks after this year's race is over, for next year the first day is already filled up (~13,000 runners).  A lot of crazy runners in my State. You should just jump in with one close to you …just go for it. I am not completely tone and I would say that none of the obstacles were impassible…though the more prep the easier the obstacles will be...but just do one with your friend…the more the merrier and fun…it is not that intimidating.

Hey Optigirl, I am with AmyNamy, I want to see your costume when you settle on one!  …do something out of the ordinary too, but you have to consider comfort as well.  So I would say comfortable, but embarrassing :)

Tonja – Running good…  coral snake…bad!  YIKES!  Be safe and remember the following poems. The order of the bands distinguishes between the non-venomous mimics and the venomous coral snakes — “Red on yellow, poison fellow; red on black, safe from attack.”

Donald  - as I have said many times before, your Cross fit workouts continue to amaze me.You are one fit pup!

Be strong and have fun this week group and be sure to throw some bricks around!!!

• I think I may wander through the accessory department of Walmart to think of costume ideas.  A costume shop is way too expensive.  I saw  a pic of the Michigan WD where these 2 ladies were wearing housecoats, curlers and a shower cap, and knee high pantyhose.  that's perfect!  and cheap!!!  I can't copy that.  But I would like something simply and matching.

my daughter is in some pretty deep drama at the moment, we've haven't even been talking about our upcoming Dash.  I hope she can still come and focus on the obstacles and not get hurt.  Her life is like a depressing country song right now and I would hate for her to get an injury to top it all off.

I noticed they changed some of our obstacles around.  We were supposed to have a repelling one, and now we have this arched thing, I have no idea what it is, but it looks monkey bar-ish....

• OptiGirl-

Maybe you should just try a crazy hat or wig!  I haven't done it, but you see them - a bunch of girls ran with pink wigs called themselves the "Pink Ladies" from Grease.  Good luck to you and love reading your posts too.