Is it for real ?

• I have bought  the body for life book and i have to say i'm impressed, but are all the before & after pictures achieved in 12 weeks ?

i have to say some of the transformations are so dramatic, to the point where it seems almost impossible to get those results  in 12 weeks.

in my mind i'm thinking there is no way it's possible in 12 weeks. 

I need to know this : of all the before & after transformation photo's i see in the book & on this web site, where they all achieved in the 12 week time frame.

or have some of the transformations taken longer ?

one thing i will add to this is in 8 days time i will be starting my own body for life 12 week life changing journey, as i want to prove it to myself that it is really possible.

so please convince me to the point where doubt is but a faint memory.

many thanks, jeff. 

My success is your success.

• Jeff ~

Yes, it's very real, and yes... some transformations took more than 12 weeks.  At the time BFL was written, Bill Phillips ran his magazine and profiled people, so their stories were known, and people knew if a particular person say did that over 2 challenges, versus one.  That being said, most actually were within the 12 weeks.  And if not mistaken, he included side-by-side pictures of progression for those few who took more than the standard 12 weeks.  

This is a DropBox link to my last challenge pictures that were taken during the time-frame for that one challenge.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwf3vcsmrwtqz6y/BFL%20Challenge%20Submittal%20.jpg

I cannot convince you, Jeff.  It's amazing what you (and your body) can do once you decide you can!  Welcome.  Ask all the questions you want.  We're here to support you.  

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Mighty Max

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Hi Jeff,

I know it blows you away doesn't it when you first look at it. It is ABSOLUTELY real and possible, I have met several of the previous Champs and thats just what they are - champions at what they do...

Just keep in mind that people that get the stunning results like this in 12 short weeks are usually at the "super achiever" end of the scale when following the rules. That is they do strict portion control, get the right grams of Protein/Carbs/Fats, drink all their water, HIT "10"S in every workout and push themselves to the max.

The majority of people I know who have done a challenge pretty much by the book are always stunned at their results and almost all of them can pinpoint area's, weeks where they "could have done better", that's why those few that honestly can not have done better get the super brilliant results.

I hope this helps, you will find lots of support in these forums - all the best

Ps/ make sure you have the Book (Original if possible) and a journal

HERE IS A POST FROM "BFLMIKE" A PREVIOUS CHAMPION....

Buy the Book and Do It – by the Book!

by: Michael Harris  3/29/07

Each year, more people are trying to do body for life without reading the book Body for Life. While the website is a wealth of information, and the videos, booklets and other literature are superb, there is really no substitute for the book insofar as an overview of nutrition and exercise principles, specific recommendations to follow in setting goals, resisting adversity, and getting more out of yourself than you ever imagined you could.

I’ve talked to those who haven’t read the book and they tell me unanimously that they know enough to do this right. The problem is that they DON’T know enough to even know what they are missing. They might know what they are doing, but they don’t know WHY they are doing it. So, the first time something new comes along, they are apt to follow that. Lack of knowledge produces instability. Instability produces chaos. And chaos produces failure.

"Tweaks" seem to be the most common abuses of those who haven’t read the book. People introduce extra cardio, or different diet plans combined with the BFL exercise program, or different exercise plans combined with the BFL diet. These seem to be the most common variations. And if you haven’t read the book, you just don’t know why doing this is counterproductive to your best efforts.

But, you argue, "this is a one-size fits all plan, and I want one that works perfectly for ME! I want to get fit right away and completely maximize my efforts." That’s a great idea, but it’s also way too simplistic and unrealistic. What you need isn’t the perfect plan for you–you need a plan you can follow perfectly. See, even if there was a perfect plan for you, no one could know for certain what that would be like.

The book supplies ALL the foundational knowledge. It tells you exactly what the abyss is, and why if you don’t cross it you’ll go nowhere. You’ll learn the differences between goals and dreams, between habits that help you and habits that hold you back, and what’s meant by future vision, and why it’s important. You’ll know exactly how to carefully and completely develop the goals for your challenge. You’ll understand perfectly (even though you might still have the urge to throw in extra cardio) exactly why that’s not a good idea, and exactly why weight training is absolutely the best way to fight fat!

Even more importantly, you will understand exactly why rest is so important, why long workouts are counterproductive, and why it is important to choose nutrition sources wisely. You’ll have all the tools you need, and you’ll have the manual that tells you how and why to use those tools to maximize your body for life efforts.

You’ll also receive the unvarnished truth about why so many other diet plans and exercise regimens just don’t work long term.

And, there are the great stories! if you read them again and again, you’ll find bottomless inspiration in the true stories of those whose lives have been forever changed by body for life. You’ll see that the greatest and most life-changing reward they received was not the championship at all.

"Tell me more," you say? O.K. READ THE BOOK! It’s never too late!

AND, JUST A FEW POINTERS FROM MIKE TOO.....

TOP TEN THINGS THEY DIDN’T TELL YOU IN THE BOOK!
    by: Michael Harris  10/9/2007

Don’t get me wrong—I think Body for Life is a GREAT book—but it doesn’t cover everything you need to know. If it did, it would be 2000 pages long! But, you’re in luck, because I’m about to tell you everything else you need to know for a great challenge. Here they are, in the usual David Letterman Top Ten format:

10. Without the audio timekeeper, it’s nearly impossible to get an upper body workout done in 45 minutes if you wait one minute between sets! Allow an hour for it, and you’ll be about right.

9. Though the goal is to ALWAYS increase weights, you won’t always do that! Why? The body runs out of reserves. Say you just tried to increase your overhead press by 1 pound a week. At the end of a year, you’d be 50 pounds ahead of when you started. For most people, that just won’t happen!

8. The "weight" you gain immediately after free day is mostly just increased bowel and water content that goes away in three days.

7. For some people, high intensity cardio is ill-advised, even dangerous. The best cardio is that which you can and will do safely 3 days a week for the next 12 weeks.

6. The primary purpose of the biceps muscle is NOT to flex the arm—it’s to supinate the hand! (Don’t believe me? Try lifting a weight with the palm down—the biceps hardly flexes at all.)

5. Most body builders and MANY (but not all) BFL champs don’t take a free day at all. Usually a cheat meal or a special treat is all that is needed to stop the body’s shut down process.

4. The most common sports injury is a sprained ankle—but the most common BFL injuries seem to be shoulders, followed by sore necks, knees and backs—in that order.

3. Most women doing BFL will see lost inches, but almost no weight loss until around week 8.

2. Most men doing BFL will see quick weight loss and muscle gain up until week 8, at which time a plateau sets in.

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING THEY DON’T TELL YOU IN THE BOOK:

1. Most people who don’t see results during their challenge are working out much less intensely than they think they are, and are eating much more than they think they are.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Thanks for the replies, all i need to do now is commit myself to the next 12 weeks, but more importantly, i need to commit to a lifestyle change which will last a life time.

I have already signed up with a brand new gym which opens in 5 days. I am just grateful that i found this body for life programme. And my future vision of myself is just like many of the transformations i have seen.

One of my favourite sayings is "a mans grasp should far exceed his reach"

That is my new mantra.

• I know you're going to succeed Jeff, and you want to know why?  It's because of your own words, "future vision of myself".  YES!  Keep seeing that you.  And yes you need to commit yourself to the next 12 weeks, and remember that it's also committing TO yourself. 

YOU CAN DO THIS!

• I just want to say to  jessica & aussi debs, your transformations are amazing. You are so inspirational.

I have the original bfl book and have read it 3 times.

• Thanks Jeff...... "was" inspirational sadly...Hey there Jess, Jeff is right, you did a great job!

Unfortunately I'm once again in that awful place Jeff, working out the "For Life" bit is very hard for a lot of people and for those like myself that has always been a heavy "social drinker" - silly tag really..... with a lifestyle that is so ingrained in that culture... it's always been my achilles heal and probably will be forever.  I can do 12 weeks, sometimes easy, sometimes not so much... I've just come back to this site as I've started my 4th challenge a week ago. If you want to join a large group for support, inspiration and ideas, pop into "Calling All Lifers - Jan 6th start..  people jump into forums all the time it doesn't matter if you were there at the start date or not. Don't be afraid to ask questions, it will make you "vison" easier to achieve with all the experienced BFLrs in that group.

All the best mate.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• So kind of you, Jeff.  And I am so looking forward to YOUR transformation.  

Thank you, Debs.  I am going to have to disagree with something you said.  You know me... you once called me Mary, because I was Mary, Mary, quite contrary.  

I don't believe your transformation "was" inspiration.  I believe it still is inspirational.  Life ebbs and flows.  We'd love to believe success is linear, but that's not real, so let's focus on reality here.  Your fitness stepped back.  You need to take control of your habits again.  Have you lost the knowledge?  Are you feeling like you have a support system, one built up during the time you first did this?  If yes, then you're now stronger, have the inspirational story, and now just need the actions to once again honor WHO YOU ARE, not who you "were".  

And Jeff, Debs is right.. get support, ask questions, know you're welcome.  It's all part of the equation  We're all standing beside you... well... except Debs.  She needs to be doing a handstand beside you... she's upside down, you know?  

• Lol!, I forgot I called you that... Doug calls me that all the time! Funny eh!

You are spot on, you know what it's like, it's just that feeling of "shame" and "embarrassment" that you get, especially when you catch up with friends and family haven't seen you for a long time...

But as Bill would say... Onwards and Upwards! Re reading the original book last night, must be where I got my tag from all those years ago!

Cheers mate!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• just looking on ebay and found the success journal for 99p. well happy. bring on the 3rd of feb.

• Great advice! And yes it can be done in a mere 12-weeks; the greatest obstacle however for so many is true commitment.

2011 Men's Body-for-LIFE Champion "endure... inspire... body for life!"

• Is it for real? Heck yes. But here's the catch - once you give yourself one set of 12 weeks, and I mean a good effort a full 12 weeks, you will be amazed at who you become. More importantly, from the inside out. Fulfilling a personal promise to hold myself accountable for 84 days, is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Geesh, that was going on 5 years ago now!  

One challenge, turned into another, and another. I've actually lost count. Once you are able to get one challenge under your belt, you will be proud - no doubt, and should be! Then you will want more. :) You will understand how strong you really can be mentally, and physically, and you will set yourself another goal.

The end of your 84 days, is really going to be only the beginning of something, and someone, more grand.

Start your engines......!

I swear to anyone who asks me how I got to where I am today....BFL is the best foundation to begin a journey in health, fitness and mind. It is always the foundation to fall back to, reread, reignite, when the rest of the media gets too loud.

• thanks for the encouraging words, i will be going to a brand new gym which opens on thursday, everything will be brand new, and whats more is its open 24 hours. i can go anytime, day or night. ;)

• Sounds like a great beginning for you Jeff. It's a SIGN! ;) If I may offer some advice, take in a plan to the gym for your training, so you know what excercises you are going to be doing. There is nothing worse than seeing people wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out thier next lift. Have a back up plan too...so if the machine you want to use is occupied, you know what to do in the mean time with the free weights, or another machine. And best advice ever .... write your weights used down. Weights, and reps, and sets. A month from now, go back to that page one, which you started with, and you will see improvement. You will be doing more reps, sets, or lifting a heavier weight. :D. Sometimes, we all go through stages where we don't  "see" results. But if you are one of the lucky ones, that wrote down his weights etc and are tracking them EACH time you go to the gym! BAM! You have results. You have improvement. You know you are progressing. Even on the days the inches aren't dropping in the right places, or the scale isnt moving in the direction you desire.

I hope that makes sense.

Im excited for you!!

• I have the the full 84 day training diary on my ipad, i know how important recording things is,

It has been over ten years since i set foot inside a gym, so i'm looking forward to relearn about what my body needs.

And hopefully my muscle memory will kick in.

Thank you legsy for your words of wisdom, i am happy for any advice going.