Over 50 Group

• I need to do something.....I'm 100 lbs over weight and have Rheumatoid arthritis which is obviously worsened by the amount of extra weight I'm carrying around. The doctor suggested they start a treatment that involves injections and costs 20-25K per year. I suggest I loose weight and most of my health problems go away. My problem has been the commitment part. I've been on many diets throughout my life and have spent a lot of time in the gym--played college basketball and have worked out most of my life up til now. I'm close to pulling the trigger and getting back into the gym and eating better but haven't had much motivation.

Would it make sense to start an over 50 group with the goal to support, encourage, and talk about our progress? Would there be any interest in this? Something needs to change!

• I'm excited and I don't believe that being over 50 is a problem. I am 53 knee surgery in feb and total hysterectomy in march. My biggest obstacle is budget (recently divorced) anddd (I like to drink). I would be willing to chat with you and encourage you. Geesch the treatment for RA is a ton of money.(and I cant believe that the injections would be healthy) You are making a wise decision in losing the weight to help your current health problems. I do know once you get started and get over the hump of change you will feel phenomenal. We've got to get better because we aren't not getting any younger.  

• While I like your idea of creating a group of like-minded individuals, I sincerely hope that you are not pinning your hopes of transforming your body and spirit to those who may or may not join your "50 group".  You must first make a promise to yourself to succeed, then you must tell everyone you know that you are about to begin this journey.  By making a promise to yourself and to others you are anchoring your commitment to remain vigilant in your transformation.  And once you begin losing weight, support will find you because others will want to know what you are doing. Become their inspiration!

2011 Men's Body-for-LIFE Champion "endure... inspire... body for life!"

• Thanks for the response. I went back to the gym after a looooonnnnng layoff and have been going regularly for over 1 week. I also have improved my diet. I thought about entering the "challenge" but don't think one starts up again until February 2014.

My weakness has always been eating clean. My willpower to eat only the allowed foods has been a problem. I'm not sure how committed I am as I still have a bowl of ice cream before bed with my wife. I do good eating clean during the week--it's the weekends that are difficult.

I throw up so many negative thinking roadblocks when it comes to eating. Too busy to make healthy meals, or, The main one is that I'll change my behavior for a short period of time, loose the weight, then eventually gain it back.

Anyway, I've enjoyed working out again and plan to eat clean today.

• I am in the middle of writing a book titled "Truth About Weight-Loss", and in the first chapter I cover the topic of commitment and how to achieve the proper mind set for losing weight.

My suggestion to you is, enjoy life, have your ice cream if makes you happy and eat clean more often than not.  Perhaps if you ease into the program (take six-months instead of three), your body will adjust and you will see the light.  It's not your fault and you should never think for a second that it is.  It's because we were without proper nutrition thousands of years ago, and our bodies learned to crave fat so that it could store it in times of need.  And almost everyone craves comfort foods when things get tough.  I realize that eating clean all of the time pretty much sucks, even for the professional body builders, but as I mentioned earlier, once your body becomes a furnace, you will be able to indulge a bit more in the foods (including ice cream) you truly enjoy.

Stay strong my friend, and I will do everything I can to help you from here!!!

• I appreciate your encouragement. How do help your body to become a furnace--diet and exercise? Is there a way to jump start the metabolism?

• The basic answer to your question would be... increase lean muscle.  However, I've provided you with an article that addresses the question more scientifically.

Article:

The human body is made up of cells – lots of them. About thirty trillion in fact. The vast variety of cells in the body make possible the astonishing complexity of human physiology. For the sake of simplicity, we will organise the tissues of the body into three categories: skeletal muscle tissue, adipose (fatty) tissue, and “other stuff” (since you have relatively little control over this other stuff we’ll mostly ignore it in this article).

Each type of tissue requires a certain amount of energy to maintain it - ‘housekeeping’, if you will. Together, these maintenance requirements determine a personal basal metabolic rate, or BMR. The BMR is a measure of how much energy is used to continue existing. Individual variation in BMR is the reason a 110kg bodybuilder has to eat three times as much as a 50kg couch potato to maintain their weight.

Adipose tissue has a fairly low energy requirement to maintain – around 4.5 calories per day for each kilogram of fat. The body maintains fat stores very efficiently, as they are vitally important for our survival during times of little food (fat is very energy-dense).

Muscle tissue, on the other hand, is high-maintenance: it takes a lot of energy just to keep it around and functional. We generally say that muscle tissue is ‘metabolically expensive’. The exact numbers are debated within research communities, but the best estimate is that every kilogram of skeletal muscle burns around 13 calories per day. This is less than once thought, but it is definitely not insignificant, particularly for new trainees who have the ability to gain muscle at a high(er) rate. The implication of this is that individuals with more muscle mass will burn more calories at rest, potentially allowing for greater weight loss in the long term.

Having more muscle tissue has a wide variety of advantages, including improved insulin sensitivity, improved heart health, and increased ability to perform at a high level. The metabolic benefit is yet another reason to strive to build more muscle in your training.

Sources:

--Cunningham J.J., 1980, A reanalysis of the factors influencing basal metabolic rate in normal adults

--Bianconi E., Piovesan A., Facchin F., Beraudi A., Casadei R., Frabetti F., Vitale L., Pelleri M.C., Tassani S., Piva F., Perez-Amodio S., Strippoli P., Canaider S., 2013, An estimation of the number of cells in the human body

--Srikanthan P., Karlamangla A.S., 2012, Relative muscle mass is inversely associated with insulin resistance and prediabetes

--ZiMian Wang, Zhiliang Ying, Anja Bosy-Westphal, Junyi Zhang, Martin Heller, Wiebke Later, Steven B. Heymsfield, Manfred J. Müller, 2010, Evaluation of Specific Metabolic Rates of Major Organs and Tissues: Comparison Between Men and Women