Light at the End of the Tunnel

• I'm putting this out there for all those people who have tried pretty much everything out there to lose weight and not had any success, and anyone needing a little encouragement.

I have battled my weight for most of my twenties and thirties, even though I have led an active and healthy lifestyle all of my life.  I have seen the scale continually creep up in a direction I didn't want it to go in--and although I was still within a healthy weight range for my height, I know was carrying too many excess kilos of the jiggly stuff to ignore it.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 13 years ago, and have followed a gluten free diet ever since.  I also have a very strong genetic predisposition to heart disease and diabetes.  Earlier this year I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes.  As I have mentioned before, I have tried just about everything over the years to lose weight, and nothing has really worked.  I even did a BFL challenge a few years ago, and although I got stronger & fitter, I did not lose the wobbly bits I had been hoping to lose (this is likely due to  insulin resistance which I am now medicated for).  

Here is what I have learned so far;  many people think that a gluten free diet is a healthier diet, what they do not tell you is that most GF foods are very high in fat (this helps bind the products together), but also VERY high GI--so for someone with Insulin Resistance, this was sabotaging my weight loss efforts.  I've been following the plan, and working with a nutritionist as well.....she has taught me the importance of protein, but also limiting my carb intake.  Limiting carbs and only consuming low gi carbs is critical for someone with insulin resistance (even more so than for the average Joe), sadly no more pasta for me :(  

I am 6 weeks in to the program, and the scale has not budged, and I was beginning to feel despondent.  But boy oh boy am I glad I took my measurements at the start, while the scale refuses to come to the party, it appears that I have lost 6 cm off of my waist and 3 off of my hips.  This is the most success I have ever had on any program!!  Although it hasn't been easy (the most worthwhile things in life never are) I am very happy to be headed in the right direction.  If I can do this, ANYONE can!! 

• Congratulations!  Keep at it, you're doing great!

• Thanks Dave!  It feels great to finally be getting some results! Thanks for your support! :)