Newbie, need help :)

• Hi everyone :)

In a nutshell i lost 110 lbs through weight loss surgery, diet & exercise. I went from a size 22 to a size 6 which is awesome, however i've been relying on cardio & strength training without weights for the process & while it's great, i still have A LOT of saggy skin & lumps here & there. I tried lifting & weight machines on my own a while ago & i really enjoyed it & found that it actually does help!

Problem is that i was just experimenting with weights with no trainer or guidance & as soon as i stopped, my body flopped back again which really frustrated me. I wanna start properly this time to use weights along with cardio (i run day in & day out) to tighten up skin & of course build muscles! i really wanna look nice in a swimsuit by next summer (i'm realistic :) )

My main areas that need toning are my legs, hips & calves....my upper body part is fine since i wasn't really heavy in that area.

Could anyone help me get started? How many lbs should i lift? how many reps? how many sets? frequency per week?

i will appreciate all your input everyone :) thanks!

• Hi Jessy!  

I have a few tips that might help.

1.)  Lift at a weight that is comfortable for you, but challenging at the same time.  I started with #3 and #5.  Record your progress and don't be afraid to lift heavy.

A.  Higher weights less reps (6-8 reps per set) will help with gaining more muscle.

B.  Lower weights higher reps (10-12 reps per set) will help tone and define muscles.

Good luck.

• Hi Jessy81,

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far.  Also, setting your goal for next summer is realistic, and you should be able to look great in a swimsuit by then.

What you need to do is buy the original Body for Life book by Bill Phillips and read it.  Bill lays out the program completely, telling you how many sets to do, as well as how many reps.  What days to train with weights, what days to focus on cardio.  What to eat, as well as how much and how many times a day.  The book is the backbone of this program, so to be successful with the BFL program, you need to read the book.  

To figure out what weight to lift, I've always thought that one needs to know what their max is on a specific exercise.  Take off 50 to 60% of that weight and you'll have a good starting point for an exercise, and can slowly build up to heavier weights.  This will allow your body to get stronger, and your muscles to grow.  

The program is very simple once you get the hang of it, and by Week 3, it's pretty much 2nd nature.  Then it all comes down to will power, and it sounds like you may already have your bad habits in check.

Best of luck!

Mike