Gather here faithful GBers-1 post thread

• Hi gang. Just a quick check in this evening, getting ready  for a camping weekend again, We are builting our deck on our trailer this weekend . Wish me luck and I don't come home DIVORCE.> LOL ,!!!!! < I staying eating clean , going to do lots of walking at the camp ground....

• Jacqueline -  Hmmmm i am jealous, i LOVE camping.  Have a great time!!!

Cory
    Life IS Good
    Not in BFL challenge currently

• Ok, going into my last 4 weeks! Yeah!!!

I'm only going to eat off the authorized original BFL list and only use recipes in the EFL book that follow that rule for my 5 meals. My 6th meal is always the same and if it slows my progress then that's ok because my husband and I look forward to our air popped popcorn, 1 oz low salt nuts & 1 oz beef jerky. It's our treat that we LOVE!

Question: Is I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray ok on potatoes and yams & veggies? And is sprinkling a little splenda brown sugar on the yams ok?

Excited about the last 4 weeks!!! From what people say, I'll take a 2 week active rest and start cycle 2.

Once you get to your goal and your happy with your results... what then?

Do you still eat the same?

How do you exercise?

I guess I'm wondering what maintenance life is like!?

Thank you everyone for all your help, encouragement and advise!!!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• Deirdre,

You asked:  Is I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray ok on potatoes and yams & veggies? And is sprinkling a little splenda brown sugar on the yams ok?

I hate to answer a question with a question, but have you ever tried to eat these things without anything added?  They are great just the way they are, at least I think so.  I was seriously considering adding to my yams but MAN O MAN does it taste great without anything added.  Try them that way and see what you think.  Other than that I can't answer your question.  I only eat my veggies and potatoes with nothing added.

You also asked:  Once you get to your goal and your happy with your results... what then?

Here are a couple of blogs that will answer your questions about active rest and how to maintain.  Both were written by BFLMike (Michael Harris).  As always he gave great advice/info. 

Getting the Most out of Your Time Between Transformation Challenges

by: Michael Harris  3/18/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you planning another challenge after finishing the one you’re in now? If so, the material that follows should be of some interest and some help to you. It seems like roughly one-half of those who start and complete a 12 week transformation challenge are planning on going into another one in order to get into the shape that they want.

The first thing I want to ask you--actually I’m begging you--is to NOT GO IMMEDIATELY from one challenge right into the next one without a break. Here’s why. Whether you really feel like it or not, a transformation challenge takes a toll on you. The early rising, strenuous exercising and relatively strict dieting are good for you--but over 12 weeks time they can also wear you out. You deserve AND NEED a week or more of rest before you get back into the gym. Think about this: If you go right from one challenge to another, what you’re really doing is taking a 24 week challenge. That’s nearly 6 months, and it’s longer than most should be doing. Most second and subsequent challenges that occur without a break between tend to be very unproductive and unhappy experiences. They also tend to be more often plagued by injuries, illnesses and overtraining effects.

My favorite fitness author, Albuquerque attorney Clarence Bass, coined the phrase "active rest." That’s what you need to do between challenges. What you need to do, for at least one week and preferably two, is to stay clear out of the gym and away from the weight lifting routine entirely. And don’t worry about losing muscle mass, you won’t. The phenomenon called muscle memory will put you right back into the groove very quickly once you are rested. In fact, you might actually pick up some muscle mass due to the well-deserved rest. Your joints will thank you for it too.

Instead of lifting weights, do one or two of your favorite non-resistance training types of exercises. I do lots of calisthenics such as pushups, pullups, and squat jumps. I also do some bike riding or stair climbing. I take very long walks with my dog. Others enjoy things like swimming, mountain climbing, hiking, or even chopping wood and heavy gardening activity. This gets you out of the old groove, works different areas of your body, and still gives you plenty of fat-burning and fitness forming activity.

As for the diet, stick with the six meals a day. But, add in a bit of red meat if you are inclined, and experiment with some non-typical foods. This might be a good time to try a little of that natural peanut butter you’ve been craving. I eat a fair amount of non-tropical fruits and berries as carb portions during my rest periods. And I eat some lean red meat which has lots of creatine in it. Don’t make your two weeks off a two week free day or you’ll regret it.

Consider your two weeks active rest a working vacation. You’ll be amazed at your renewed strength, your enthusiastic outlook, and your youthful appearance following your time off. If you don’t do it, you’ll feel like you’re dragging a 100 pound anchor around with you for the next twelve weeks. Which one sounds like the best bet to you?

********************************************************************************************

After the Challenge–What Then?
    by: Michael Harris 3/19/2007

So, your results were good, and you’re looking forward to living a "normal life" now. Only one thing is bothering you–you’re not sure what that is going to look like. You are also more than a little worried about your ability to hold onto this newfound you, right?

First, the "good news." It never takes as much effort and suffering to maintain good health as it does to get it back. You won’t have to work out quite as hard, nor will you have to eat quite as strictly to maintain your physique. Now, the bad news–you’ll have to figure out how to do it on your own!

Continuing to eat the six smaller meals a day helps make your new life easier. Since the whole purpose of eating six small meals a day is to stabilize insulin levels and blood sugar levels, which minimizes cravings, mood swings, and fat formation, it makes sense to keep that up. If you lost weight and burned fat while on the six small meals regimen, and you are now at or below the weight you want to be, then you’ll need to add a bit to each meal. Eating 42 meals a week, you really only need to adjust upward about 50 to 100 calories to stop the weight loss cycle. As an example, if your "meal" is a Myoplex, all you would need to do is add about 3/4 of a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to the shake and you would add about 100 calories to that meal. Just an ounce more meat or a slightly larger carb would accomplish the same things. So, whatever you do, don’t go back to eating plates full of food at each opportunity. Make very small dietary adjustments, or you’ll be trying to catch up with the gigantic swings that can take place!

You’ll know when you get there with the diet. It will feel right. The key is to still stay away from the "trigger foods" that cause you issues, and to allow for the usual free day excesses as well. Sugary snacks should probably always be strictly a free day activity for all of us.

And what about exercise? Once again, you’ll need to find your plateau. I am sixty now, so I recover more slowly than most of you would. So, what I do in maintenance stage is work each body part every 6 or 7 days, and that takes about 30 to 40 minutes four days a week. Now, that means an extra workout day a week, but that’s not a problem since I work out at home. For me, working out each muscle group one day a week nicely maintains both mass and injury-free joints if I’m careful. I really don’t think anyone who is happy with their body needs to work out with weights more than a couple of hours a week, but if you enjoy it, and you still want to try to add mass, go for it! As far as cardio, I still do the 3 HIIT sessions a week, early in the morning on an empty stomach, and that will never change.

May I emphasize once again, because this does take trial and error, that the key is "small adjustments" so you don’t have huge swings. You will know that things are basically staying the way you want them by your weekly weigh ins and waist measurements, and if either gets more than 3 pounds or 1/2 inch out of where you want it, then make those adjustments and see what happens next week. Get your checkup regularly and keep tabs on those blood lipid levels.

Don’t let the maintenance phase get you down. It’s no different than owning and operating an auto. Checking the tires, the fluid levels and the operating systems are part of that responsibility, as are the same kinds of things with your body. This IS Body for LIFE, remember?

Hope these help.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread?

• Hi Bob,

Go to the top of the forum area and click on the appropriate subject area your thread would fall under.  Once you do that, you'll see "New Post" over on the right side of the forum area.  Just click that and go from there. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• thanks Sharon

• Hi everyone.

Dee how are you feeling today?  Thought about you this weekend and hoped you were recovering well.  Today is C1W3D15 and this mornings UBWO was totally killer - my arms are still some limp noodles :)  just wanted to top and stay "hi"   gotta get back to work, things have picked up.

have a great day everyone.

Cory
    Life IS Good

• All better Cory! Thanks!

I'm starting week 9 - last 4 exciting weeks! My husband & I change our exercises every 4 weeks so today was a new upper body routine! Loved it! But we need more plate weights, I think two 25 lbs'ers will help out for now. Going shopping today to find some!

Great day to everyone!!!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• I forgot, i have a question - when i did my cardio Saturday morning i was sweating like no other, when i looked down i got sweat in my eyes, usually it's salty and stings my eyes but it didn't, like it wasn't salty is that ok?  I am drinking about a gallon maybe a gallon and a half of water a day - am i overdoing it?

Cory
    Life IS Good

• Cory: way to work it girl! I wouldnt worry about the taste of your sweat silly - and no you are not overdoing the water. I have read many articles over the months and just be sure to pace your water as the body can only process so much. 2cups per hour is acceptable. Of course weather, working out need to be taken into account. I drink 4L on a good day starting at about 8 (on AR) and ending by 5.

Water is very important for your muscles, your mind and your joints.

Keep up the great work!

• Thanks Legs this is my intake

first out of bed - 18 oz immediately

water bottle during workout 18oz - usually gone by the time i hit home for sure

starting a water bottle at home while i am getting ready - finish that one at work 18oz

starting another water bottle at work and consuming between 4 and 7 more 18oz'rs before 5

sometimes i get another 1 in at home before bed time

my weekends are not as good as my weekdays but i am working on it.

Thanks much.

Cory
    Life IS Good

• Another question :)

How do you change your Avatar, i don't want to post a picture but can't seem to get what i want to get in that little square - is there a magic word - secret code - promising my first born to the Avatar gods?  LOL  any help is apprecited.

p.s.  i wouldn't give up my first or my second born - no way!!!  :)

Cory
    Life IS Good

• bahahahaha! That's a funny one Cory!!

Click on your name "LifeisGood" and it will take you to your profile page, then go over to the Avatar and it should have a selection where it says, Change Avatar. They give you some generic pics or you can browse your pics and insert them in...don't forget to save settings...oh and payment can be sent to...just kidding!

Hope it works for you! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• WHEW HEW  it worked - YAYH

The Avatar gods have found me worthy of a smile =)     shhhhhhh  i promised them that the check was in the mail               LOL

Cory
    Life IS Good