Starting my new life with Body for Life 7/22/13 ... see you at the finish line on October 14th

• sceej.....I think by sticking to this challenge will help you stay focused.  It is always hard to lose a job especially after 31 years but apparently something greater is just ahead of you.  If you are going to be in the job market again don't you want to be on top of your game in every aspect?  Weight and Health are included in that.  We are here to help you and keep you motivated......drinking and eating like a man on death row is not the answer.....

• Sunset and angel - thank you both so much for your words of encouragement.  This tread is functioning for me just as it should - its my place to go for needed encouragement.  I am fresh back from the gym and did a very strong workout.  I am feeling that very satisfying sort of sore in the muscles, not pain, but that soreness that the muscles were shocked and are expected to do more and to grow.    Sunset - thank you for that topical verse as well,  he watches out for the sparrows, he'll watch out for me too.  

What I had was a few bad days - it does not have to be the end of the journey and it IS not the end of the journey.

Again, thank you both.

• Again, no one is perfect, but, stick to it.

• Very well said....Sunset...no one is perfect....we can only do our best! I didn't make it to the gym at 3:30 this morning because I had to come into work early today....so going after work.  That will be a huge non scale victory for me because I never work out after I get off of work....I will always find any excuse as to why I can't go.....wish me luck.

• That can be one of the hardest things when you are disrupted out of your usual routine ... I can get to the gym in the morning  or at lunch ... if I do not make it then, I usually miss the gym and really, that ought not be an excuse.  It is possible to go ... simply have to make it that important a part of life.

• @Sceej - i hope that you do stick with us! You're going to need a lot of support in the next few coming months, and this is a great place to get it. I think there are a lot of things in your life which are unfortunately going to be out of your control for a little while, so please stay with us and focus on the things you can control, Body for Life being one of them. Job loss is devastating - I'm a young'un (31) and can't imagine losing a job that you have been at for so long, but I have seen a lot of my friends lose their jobs (and lost a few myself) and I find that is an extremely isolating experience. It would be wonderful if you still had a daily community to check in with. And we would miss your posts if you left us. :)

• Laura - thanks for the post and words of encouragement - I'm still here!  The job situation is a 'distraction' (to say the least) but I've come to realize that THAT particular situation in no way should preclude me from addressing THIS situation - meaning my weight, health etc.  

Two weeks in and my weight is exactly where I started (252 pounds) and at 56 years old, it's not likely I've gotten any taller, eh?  But it would have been unreasonable to expect significant weight loss based on my recent activity (or lack thereof?) - hopefully a disciplined week ahead and the first results will show.

• addendum ... weight is actually 249!  So a modest three pound loss but far better than nothing.  Made it to the gym this afternoon for a solid if unspectacular lower body work out and noted to self need to up the weights on almost all lifts.

• Well after a bad last week, doing better on most fronts.  Got in a very solid workout this afternoon, ate clean yesterday (ok, had a beer but it was a light beer!), and just feeling a bit better and a bit more in control. Scale showed 248 so about a four pound loss in just over two weeks.  Being overweight is probably my number one concern (current weight is just on the wrong side of 'obese' by BMI standards).  If that's what its to be - about two pounds a week - that would mean about a 24 pound weight loss over the 12 weeks - which would be a very good start to getting where I need to be.

I lean on this board so thanks to all who have posted either advice or just a word of encouragement.

• Progress!  And a looming challenge!

Should not be weighing self so frequently but I did ... and weight was 246 ... so a very respectable 6 pound loss after 2 1/2 weeks. And strenuous upper body workout today.  

The looming challenge?  A week at the shore with family and friends starting Sunday (and I know that it sounds asinine to complain about a week vacation at the beach!  lol).  My understanding is hotel does not have a fitness center but have been looking into weighs to substitute ... doing dips and curls with a chair, pushups for chest ... we'll see.  Then here is the issue of the hot dogs, custard stands and coolers of beer.  

Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it!

• I can totally relate Sceej.  I hate going on vacation in the middle of a challenge.  It's the perfect way to derail your progress, because you're leaving your comfort zone, in regards to working out.  I suggest you plan very well.  Even with great planning, you face a hurdle of a challenge, because there are so many things that family members want to do, that you feel restricted to participate in, and you have to overcome the urges that you face.  Try to run on the beach for cardio.  Great workout!  Sand provides great resistance!  I would have an abundant amount of bars and shakes with, to help assist you.  Try to do as well as you can.  It won't be easy.  Good luck!

-Mike

• Thanks Mike.  You're right - cannot use the fact that there is no formal "gym" as a reason to not workout.  If I do nothing but cardio for the 6 days, that will be more than my old routine.  Going to be travelling with another family and there will be 5 kids under age 10.  That can get tiring but must not confuse that type of tired with a  workout.  I think the biggest challenge will be staying clean, or close to it, eating.  Appreciate the words of encouragement.

Got to the gym this AM and got workout done early.  Maybe its a sign of progress that it "nags" at m mind through day if I have not gotten my workout in.

Well, after Saturday, I may well be on a weeks hiatus from this thread as I don't know when or if I will have internet, but I will be reporting back.

• I go on vacation starting the 21st....my hubby is hispanic and we are going to Texas to visit family.  Huge Hisbanic family, a lot of great home cooked food, tamales, homemade tortillas, green chile....you name it and it will be there.  That will be a huge challenge for me....the working out I am not as concerned about because I will get up early and head to the nearest Golds gym....it is the eating that will be the challenge.  I will be taking Mikes advice and packing a lot of protein, and protein bars.....

• @sceej- Hang in there, part of the effort is just finishing the race!  Its time to dig deep inside you and commit to being the person you want to be. Do it for your family and do it for yourself!

• ANYONE STILL POSTING?!?!?!? I STARTED JULY 29 AND SERIOUSLY GOING STRONG...ANYONE ELSE...THIS CHALLENGE IS NOT NEW TO ME AND HAS BEEN IN MY LIFE SINCE I WAS 15 YEARS OLD! I AM 29 AND STARTED MY SECOND CHALLENGE(ACTUALLY ENTERING AND FINISHING) MY LAST CHALLENGE I WAS SOMEWHAT DISCOURAGED JUST BECAUSE I WAS USED TO MY PREPREGNANCY BODY AND RESULTS WHEN I DID IT IN THE PAST BUT I LOOKED GOOD. SO HERE I AM!