Starting Challenge on 8/28/2013, need some extra support

• I am taking up the Challenge, because I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I do have a few special considerations though. First, I have spinal stenosis, both central canal and foraminal, going from L4 through to S1. It causes severe pain and limits my range of motion. I also have severe fibromyalgia and temporal lobe epilepsy. I am just 53, and my body makes me feel so much older. I am on very potent pain medication, and I sure that can make me very sedentary. I am so weary of my body as it is. And I am thinking that if I can lose this weight it will impove my spinal issues. I am dead serious about losing as much as I safely can during the challenge. Even so, if there is someone who understands or lives with these challenges, I would dearly love to communicate with you. That being said, I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

• A lot of the things you describe are above my head, so I'm going to wait until my wife gets home.  She's a nurse, so I'll be interested to get her input on it.  I'll let you know what she has to say.  Regardless, I'm glad to see you've decided to make the change.  Following the diet alone can help with some serious changes.  With your specific physical challenges, you may not be able to do everything the average person can do (again...waiting to hear from my wife before I make any speculations), but I'm sure you'll be able to do some and make some positive results, and start feeling a lot better physically and mentally about yourself.  Best of luck to you.  Hope to see you around the board more!

-Mike

• Is your epilepsy under control? Of course it would be good to talk to your doctor about working out and the risk of having a seizure. It would be good to stick with the weight machines rather than the free weights, and maybe a stationary bicycle, to be on the safe side.

I can empathize with your struggles to some degree. I have problems with my spine too, some of the discs are wedged and it can cause a lot of pain. Building muscle has helped significantly. But in my first couple weeks, I started getting unbearable sciattica pain. Sometimes it felt like I was suddenly struck by lightning, it hurt like crazy and shot down my body. But I just took alieve regularly and kept truckin'. It hasn't been too bad, I still feel worlds better than how I did before I started Body for Life.

I was never diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I have a relative who has been diagnosed and I experienced many of the symptoms for years. I am very familiar with the tiredness and chronic pain. I used to feel like all my joints just ached to perform regular tasks. I trained my dog to take my laundry out of the dryer because that bending over and reaching in task was just torture. And to get out of bed, take care of my dog, shower, retrieve quick food from the kitchen.....all of those daily tasks were so strenuous. My weight went up and up over the years, and the best thing I thought of doing was to restrict calories to the extreme. It backfired, with a wacky metabolism I gained more and more when I resumed normal eating.

I started this program at the end of February. I was so absolutely sick and tired of feeling like Hell, I was ready to do the hard work of changing my diet and exercising. It is the best thing I ever did. I hope I can give you hope. I do not feel the chronic all over pain that I used to feel. I was taking alieve everyday to get through the workouts and the soreness. I don't have to take it like that now, which is pretty amazing for me. I can stand in the shower instead of a bath because I don't get that urgent need to lay down anymore. My dog gets to run and exercise with me now, and sometimes I am the one wo tires HER out! I still have days where I am unusually exhausted. But its okay. I was not goin to talk to a doctor about whether I had fibro until I tried this to see if it solved the problems. I feel good enough that I am not so worried about it anymore.

So, good luck with this challenge. If anything, sticking to the diet very strictly will have you losing a heathy amount of weight and that should make things easier. I will be thinking of you, and feel free to lean on us here. It will be challenging in the beginning, especially the soreness after the first week of weights. But its all part of the process and your body will start to thank you sooner than you think.

• I will support you. I am starting on 7/1. I did the challenge for about 8 weeks a couple of years ago on Transformation. I had a herniated disc in my neck and lower back and neuropathy. The pain was gone and I felt really good but then I stopped. I am committing to a 12 week challenge.