Cottage Cheese Club

• Jr, when you figure this out, please share! 

"On a serious note, a real struggle for me is balancing the indulgences that I have no desire to give up with my goals of being in great shape.  I'm not talking about a 12 week program, but planning for the rest of my life.  I have no desire to live a life that only includes 2 beers on a free-day once a week.  I need to find a sustainable plan that keeps me healthy, but allows me to enjoy the things I love."

I've thought a lot about that exact struggle. One of my biggest fears is finishing a few BFL challenges and then slipping...and slowly finding myself back at square one. 

As for indulging this week...go ahead, you've worked really hard physically and in the job. Don't go balls-to-the-wall or anything, but enjoy yourself! You have demonstrated to be a champion in this challenge (even if you didn't actually win the title.......yet). I think your statement alone shows that you will be just fine if you need to reset yourself come next week: "In fact, I've found that when I fall off the wagon, even for a whole week, I come back strong, and it actually does me a lot of good!"

• Hey Peeps!  Happy tax day (and Marathon Monday here in Boston.  Can't drive anywhere without a boatload of traffic!!)

Gina, sending you positive energy and encouragement as you dig within yourself to see how far you have come and where you want to be.  You know how to do it and are successful at it!  This journey is not a straight line so don't beat yourself up for not being perfect.  You are more than halfway through this challenge and I know it is something you really want.  We are right there with you and you can totally do it!! 

And BTW, iced coffee is a stronger brew of coffee that you let cool down and drink over ice. It is a staple in New England and can be found everywhere.  Just made two pots of strong decaf coffee to put in my fridge this morning for later!
      Yumm!

EShorty, I shouldn't have looked those links up, the cream filled bars look wicked awesome!  I am sure your niece and nephew were psyched. And the Border Cafe smelled SOOO good on Friday night!  My hubby and boys plowed through two baskets of chips and hubby had margarita that I could have taken in one gulp.  BUT, I had water and a green salad with chicken on it and salsa dressing.  I even resisted the ice cream parlor we went to right after. What a night for temptations but I rolled through it successfully (and a bit proud of myself!)

JR - Hell ya on the marina, massage, ball games, beach and beer.  You totally earned it and that is what life is about!  I hear you on the 'planning for the rest of my life' bit though.  I have been thinking about that also and am already concerned for week 13.  Two thoughts-  1. Make sure we are 'mindfully eating'. I thought of this as I was thinking about my free day and I didn't want it to be like the last one.  I promised myself I would have mindful eating and it worked.  Meaning I would make each bit count and make sure I really wanted it before I ate it (not just eat the 3rd cookie without even realizing or tasting it!)  Check this article out for more insight on mindful eating (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0).  2.  I think we can say our diets have changed for the better since we started 'clean eating'.  Sometime we beat ourselves up for what we ate, even the little cheats can derail our motivation.  If it is not your free day, I have totally confidence that you are eating a heck of a lot better then you were 6 months ago.  Focus on what you DIDN"T eat instead of what you DID eat!  Remember, one week will not undo 14 weeks of amazing hard work.  Enjoy yourself and be confident that you are stronger mentally and physically than a few days of celebratory eating and drinking.

Workout planned: UBWO 9 am (Shorty, we are on the same workout schedule I think!)  I had the shakes putting on my make-up.  Imagine what I look like today!

Foods planned: 1. EggWhite/EngMuff 2. GNCProteinShake/IcedCoffee 3. TurkeyBurger/Avacado/EngMuff 4. 2 StringCheese/Apple 5. SalmonSalad/RoastedPotatos 6. CottageCheese

Obstacles you have to overcome today: It is school vacation week and my schedule/routine is wacked.  I am a creature of habit. 

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I am working on Mindful Eating 7 days a week.

Positive statement about yourself: Today finishes up week 7.  Totally pumped for weeks 8/9/10.  Bring it on!

• Hey friends!  Happy Monday!  And a SUPER happy Monday to you, Jr!  Enjoy your new-found free time!!!

I'm having one of those crazy Mondays where you don't get lunch until 3pm....It's cool though, I'll just be more mindful about my next 3 meals. 

Thanks for the encouragement and some tough love to get me through my slump!  I appreciate it!  I know we all go through our times, but it always makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone in my struggles.  :-)

We're all 100% on the same page as it relates to the "afterlife".  I too am not ok with not having a glass of wine with dinner.  Or whenever.  My husband is making me so jealous!  The other night he drank MY bottle of wine and then ate my chocolate eggs I had leftover!  I thought I would murder him!  After my challenge(s) I will strive to find the balance.  Life is to be enjoyed, dammit.  Not just one day a week! 

Workout planned: UBWO, 6am, home

Foods planned: M1:  Pancakes/Clem/Coffee  S1: Shake M2: Subway Turkey/wheat/veggies/carrots S2: SC/Clems M3: Not sure yet  S3: PB Toast

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Try to get your meals in on time!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Perhaps I'll try that iced coffee.....

Positive statement about yourself: My dress is loose!

• Omg, Sue!!!!  I just heard about the explosion at the marathon!  What the hell?!?!?  People are CRAZY.  Hope everything is ok with you...

• Ditto on what Gina said, Sue!!! Thoughts are going out to you/family/friends/the city of Boston...WTF is wrong with people?!?! 

And girl, NICE work on not cheating at the Mexican joint or the ice cream afterwards...you are my willpower idol!! I'm going to channel my inner Sue tonight when the wine list floats my way. And the article on mindful reading will be read after I send this off. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gina, hang in there sister! Ahhhh, I'd make that hubby of yours replace that bottle of wine...as for the eggs, well, since those are seasonal, I'm thinking a new dress is in order? Or a new purse? Or cute pair of shoes for the summer? Or ??? Never mess with a gal's wine or chocolate!

Ok, back to it. Sue, again, sending thoughts to you all in Boston!!! 

• Crazy stuff going on here in Boston. I did track down those friends I know we're in town and they are safe. My heart is heavy for the family of the 8 year old boy who was killed. We have been right in that area in years past. Boston may seem like a big city but when things like this happen, we are really a tight community. Praying for those 100+ that have been injured and the family of those 3 that have died.

I really appreciate the kind thoughts from you guys!!

• Morning all. Sue, thank heavens everyone you know is safe. My heart breaks for those who lost their lives, especially that little guy, and for those injured by this unspeakable act. Millions of people are waking up today thinking of your city, praying like hell to give you all continued strength sister. If you know of any specific, local charity/organization to donate to, please let us know. Hang in there!! 

Workout planned: Running w/ inclines @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + mixed berries + coffee 2. cottage cheese + mixed berries 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + orange 5. BFL Pancakes 6. Protein shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Nothing.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I failed with saying no to wine again. It's like I'm telling myself "you're doing great with not cheating in every other way so one glass won't hurt." Plus, I'm already committed to doing as many challenges as it takes to get to my ideal weight/body, so I have this stupid voice in my head saying "you're in this for the long haul, what's one measly glass of wine?" - that's what has been my downfall in the past. It plays into the whole "what's one bad day? I'll start eating better tomorrow" & before I knew it I was having those 4 times a week! Sue, the article you posted on being more mindful was fabulous. It can spill over to all areas of life, so this gal will be more mindful when it comes to eating, as well as going into tempting situations.

Positive statement about yourself: You have no excuse NOT to do this. Do it for all those who can't!

• A question for you all:  If you eat a bunch of terrible food, then wake up in the middle of the night to throw it all up, did you really eat it?

That's the story of my dinner last night.  And yes, I had a few beers, but not like world is spinning I'm going to throw up.  This was quite plainly my body saying... "what the hell are you doing to me?"  I've notice feeling bad after bad meals the last several weeks, apparently ball park chicken fingers is where feeling bad turns to outright rejecting the food!  Lessen learned.

Today, I've got a great day of clean eating planned.  I'm a little light on the calories, mostly light on fat calories, but that's what I feel I need today.

Enough about me--- SUE- HOLY COW.  Thinking about those city blocks that I've walked down so many times.  Sometimes this world makes me sick!  So happy that you an yours are safe, continued prayers.

And on the iced coffee...  People here think I'm nuts for ordering black iced coffee.  It's amazing, and VERY REFRESHING.  Similar to unsweetened ice tea, but with the awesome flavor of coffee!  Treat yourself GINA!

E- stop beating yourself up, you're doing great.  Don't think about the last time when you didn't turn down the wine, but the next time when you will.

UBWO (pull muscles)- after work

Meals:

1- Peanut Butter, Banana, Wheat Sandwich Thin

2- Oatmeal, Whey shake, coffee

3- Taco Soup

4- 2 Chickfila Chargrilled Sandwiches

5- 8oz Beef Tenderloin

6- Rotisserie Chicken (white meat, no skin) 8oz, Brown Rice, Snap Peas

7- Casein Protein, 1c. Skim Milk

And I'm not planning to accomplish anything at work today, so I'll go read that article now!

• Jr, my stomach churned when I read your last post…yikes! How are you feeling today? Sounds brutal - not a fun way to learn a lesson. I never thought I'd crave clean food but after a "free day" it's all I want. And it just blows my mind to think back to how crappy I felt when I wasn't eating the right foods - bloated, tired, moody, etc. It makes me sad to think of how many people are addicted to the $h*t that is out there - it's amazing how you feel once you've cut that out! And thanks for setting my refocus on the next time I will turn down the wine. Great way to look at it. Can't look back, right? :)

G, Sue, how were your days? Thomassd, Connnnnnnieeeeeee, Chubmommmmmmmmmmmm, calling ALL CCers!! Check in friends. We miss you!!!

Workout planned: LB @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + mixed berries + coffee 2. cottage cheese + watermelon 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + orange 5. BFL Pancakes 6. Protein shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Nothing.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I tried the pancakes last night - very good! The recipe made way more than I thought, so the chow hound in me was happy ;)

Positive statement about yourself: Wow, working out 6 days a week for a little over 6 weeks now. It seemed so daunting before I started - hell, I was happy if I worked out 3 x week. Sure during your 10s it is challenging, but goes by so fast. I love it!

• Feeling great today.  Actually felt great all day yesterday too!  Despite being up during the night.

I had the pancakes on Sunday morning with some pineapple on top.  They were very good!  Couldn't get them to stay together as well as I'd like, but I think next time I'll use a non-stick pan instead of a cast iron griddle.  

Workout:  UBWO (Push) this morning at 6:30a.  Good workout new high for bench press weight (glad I had a spotter)

Meals:

1- EAS Whey (3 scoops), OJ, ON Amino Energy (pre-workout)

2- EAS Advantage, EAS Muscle Armor, Apple

3- Oatmeal, 2tbs peanut butter

4- 12oz meatloaf, 1c. mashed potatoes (with skim & olive oil)

5- 4oz rotisserie chicken (no skin), 1/2 c. mashed potatoes

6- TBD (NEED HELP- ballgame tonight) (need 70g protein, 40g carbs, <10g fat)

7- Casein Protein shake

• Geez Jr.!  Amazing how your body reacted to that 'dirty' food.  To answer your question, I would say no, you never ate it!  Put a mental box around that day of eating and forgta bout it.  Great job on the new high for UBWO.  What are you bench pressing these days if you don't mind me asking?  And have you been enjoying your well deserved downtime?  What was it today, beach or baseball?  (I am envious!!)

Shorty- I have to try these pancakes!  I have eaten egg whites and an fiber eng muff every morning for about 5 years now (seriously.)  Maybe I will make them on my free day!  Then if I still miss my regular breakfast I can have that too.  :-)  6 weeks girl!  It is amazing how quickly time passes when you look back on things.  Have you been taking your pictures every week?  How is that skirt fitting?  It was a skirt you bought, right?  I keep trying on those jeans and little by little...  The pants I have on today were tight a couple of months ago so I really happy!

Gina - Hope you are surviving Chicago!  It is always hard when you are not in your own kitchen and on your regular schedule.  I am sure you will do great, remember you are in your 8th week!! 

Workout planned: LB @6:30am

Foods planned: 1. EggWhite/EngMuff 2. GNCProteinShake/Coffee 3. SlicedTurkey/Avacado/WWBun/StringCheese 4. PlainGreekYogurtOnionDip/Veggies/Blueberries 5. TacoMeatSalad/Apple 6. CottageCheese/Strawberries

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Still reeling from Monday. 

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Have you guys made the plain greek yogurt mixed with Lipton Onion Soup Mix?  Makes the most amazing dip.  Have it with celery and it is a great protein filled snack or serve it at a party and no one would ever know it wasn't made with sour cream. 

Positive statement about yourself: Feeling stronger, happier and healthier.

• Sue- I know greek yogurt is the big thing now... but I just can't do it.  It taste like a big ol' mouth full of spoiled milk to me ;)  Which I guess is why it would make a great substitute for sour cream.  I'm buying your recipe.  If you like french onion dip, it sounds like it would be spot on.

My bench press max was 225lbs after C1.  This was a new post-surgery high for me, but at one point in my past life was a workout weight.  I can't wait to get back to that point.  Today my last 2 sets were with 205lbs, got the first 4 or 5 reps without help, then my spotter helped me crank out a few more.

I had a 2 discs removed from my neck and a spinal fusion in February 2012 (the Peyton Manning surgery), I lost nearly all of the extension strength in the left side of my body.  It's taken a year and BFL, but the strength is slowly coming back, and starting to even out with my right side.  

Sorry for the long explanation (read: pity party).  I realize 225 is an above-average lift, but its still hard for me to say "that's my max" without some explanation.  This is one of the reasons that size and strength are such a goal for a 2nd challenge!

Thanks for asking!  Hope you're not regretting it now ;)

• Jr - Over 200 is awesome!  That surgery sounds very serious.  Did you do a lot of PT for recovery?  And Peyton is still out there for the Broncos so hopefully he inspires you.  You are working so hard at it, I am sure you will get to 225 sometime this summer.  It is really great to have goals like that.  I was so competitive with myself that I was at sub 8's for 7 miles.  I missing having my road-race goals but just have to refocus myself to other things.  Like shooting under 90 in golf!  I am thinking this weight training will do my golf game some good.  Right?

I can't eat plain yogurt either.  Gross!  I don't care how much fresh fruit or sweetener you put on it, it is nasty.  But the onion soup mix is sooooo good I can eat it with a spoon!  Let me know what you think.

• Sue- didn't do much PT at all.  Dr. said I didn't need it.  I had no restrictions, my body was ready for whatever I could throw at it, I just needed to do it.  When i first started, I couldn't do a single push-up, and I did tricep extensions with 3lb dumbbells.  It was REALLY hard to be motivated when that was what my "workout" looked like!

As far was working out helping your golf game... no question!  Tiger (love him or hate him) changed the way professionals look at fitness and golf.  Did you watch the Master's last weekend?  Adam Scott is in phenomenal shape, and its working out pretty well for him.  

• Yikes, 3lb dumbbell workouts.  That will do a thing to your psyche after 225lbs.  But look at you now!!  :-)

I actually did watch the Masters (okay the last day).  I was sad that Angel Cabrera didn't win as I love his attitude towards golf and the other players.  Wasn't sad to hear about Tigers 'bad luck shot'.  For all the good luck shots that boy has had, what goes around, comes around.  It didn't matter in the end so no green jacket for him.