Consolidated 5/21 Starters Thread

• Since there have been three different "starter" threads for those of us starting on 5/21/12, I thought I'd consolidate everyone's introductory post in here, and then propose this (new) thread as the one where we can post together as one group. Here is our group, I think in order of original posts. I might have to break the introduction quotes into more than 1 post depending on how this message board limits post size.

First off, here's what I think is the full group of 5/21/12 starters that have posted so far: KiwiGal, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and

Intro Posts (Initial conversations are in next post)

KiwiGal (May 18):

I am finally giving myself a kick in the pants and joining the challenge. 

I'll be harassing you all and asking lots of questions as of Monday. 

Can't wait!!!

I have 30 pounds to lose, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to lose in the 12 week period???

on 18 May 2012 10:26 AM

I will be starting Monday also! Let's share tips and keep each other motivated!

on 18 May 2012 1:10 PM

I am starting Monday too.  :)

on 19 May 2012 10:38 PM

I am starting on Monday as well.

on 19 May 2012 11:41 PM

Me too! I have about the same amount of weight to lose.

on 20 May 2012 1:13 AM

I'm starting Monday also! I'm nervous and excited. I have so much weight to loose, I hope this is where I need to begin! Good luck to all of us

on 21 May 2012 12:12 AM

I'm starting on Monday too....I have been putting this off long enough..  I have some serious toning to do...It would be nice to share progress reports with all of you....The best of luck to everyone!

on 21 May 2012 12:40 AM

I'm starting tomorrow too! 

on 21 May 2012 1:29 AM

I'm starting Challenge 2 today. I lost 30lbs by week 10 of Challenge 1, so you can do it! Follow the program & you can't go wrong. :) All the best with your challenge!!

on 21 May 2012 1:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting tomorrow too.  Does anyone have tips for staying focused on the eating part.  The exercise part I'm ok with, but I am an emotional eater in a stressful world... ;)

Good luck to everyone and look forward to staying in touch!

on 20 May 2012 5:44 PM

I finished C1 a few weeks ago and after a little active rest and reevaluation I am back for more!  Anyone else starting a challenge tomorrow?

on 21 May 2012 4:05 AM

I'm starting tomorrow as well.  I just finished a Fitness Challenge at my local gym and was looking for another challenge to keep me motivated.  I'm excited to start this journey!!  If anyone is interested in a FB support group for those of us starting on the 21st I could create one - or as mentioned above we can join in with the group that started last week!

@klang - I'm an emotional eater as well so hopefully we can support each other on the nutrition end of this challenge.  I'm hoping that the free day does help me channel my cravings. :)

Good Luck everyone!!

on 21 May 2012 12:54 PM

Good luck to everyone starting day 1 today! I'm also starting today, hoping also to lose around 30 lbs. Here's to a successful first week for all of us!!

on 21 May 2012 6:11 PM

I started today as well. MonRac I agree it is easier to get the workout done in the morning or you just put it off all day or stress about how you will fit it in later.

I am hoping to lose 30lbs in these 12 weeks, I have about 83 lbs total to lose but this will get me started. I am also going to create better eating habits for my family and I.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

on 21 May 2012 7:43 PM

I just started today as well. So far so good. My bf is doing it with me (to be honest I'm mostly doing it to motivate him) and he is resistant to some things...any tips for getting a guy on board? He badly wants to lose weight and tone up, but has trouble staying motivated.

I'm excited to keep up with you all!

on 21 May 2012 9:50 PM

I am starting today to. I have 50 pounds to lose and I am nervous about STICKING to a program for once in my life. I will admit for the 1st time that I will need A LOT of support and encouragement and will do the same.

on 22 May 2012 1:25 AM

Must be a popular day! I started today too, this morning at the gym at 6am. It took everything I had to throw the covers back and get out of bed at 5:30. But I started and that's the most difficult thing. Hello to you all, anyone in L.A.?

on 22 May 2012 3:04 AM

I did start, but only on the diet side. Will start with the aerobics tomorrow, Thursday. I stuck to the food plan with no problem ... how did everyone else do?

on 22 May 2012 4:31 AM

I started working out again in August 2011 after 2+ year hiatus.  Prior to that it had been much longer.  Joined a regional gym that I will not name but will say they are open 24 hours a day =).  I also started with a trainer; 3 sessions, then 10 and then 10 more.  He eventually left and my last session I was told by another trainer that he wasn't considered very good.  Then the last trainer pressed me to do more sessions and that left me thinking, "Uh, you guys thought he wasn't good and didn't do anything about it nor offered me a discount to compensate."  Then I thought, "Why did you even tell me?"  This was at the end of 2011.  I then spent the next 5.5 months doing my own thing...apparantly much of it in conflict with BFL.  I have always been motivated never going less than 3 times a week since August 2011 save 2 weeks when it was only twice.  Many times I was in there 4 or 5 times a week.  Motivation has not been my issue; information has been.  There is too much out there and some of it not so good (a conclusion based on my unsatisfying results).

I got BFL as a gift from my girlfriend for Xmas and it sat on my bookself for 5.5 months.  While cleaning last week Wednesday, I accidently knocked it off the self and it landing on the floor and magically opened.  I bent over to pick it up and started reading and thought, "Hmmmm...a different approach."  Then I proceded to put it down for another 48 hours.  Last Friday my girlfriend noticed the book moved and asked me about it and we started taking turns reading to each other chapter by chapter stopping along the way to answer/ponder all the questions.  We followed it step by step until we read it, for the most part, completely.  Having platuead (sp?) many months ago I was ready for a different routine, a change, something different.

Started today with aerobic session as I was in the gym Sunday night and my upper body was sore.  The meal plan is similar to what I have been doing already but not exactly the same.  The transition to the meal plan will be seamless albeit a little more disciplined.  What I didn't do in August 2011 was take measurements and pictures but I took care of that last night.

R and L Arm 12"

Hip 35"

Chest (under the arm) 42"

Chest (over the arms) 49"

Wasn't sure what else to measure so I took a few pics.

The way forward is to follow BFL meal/exercise plans strictly.  What I was doing before was 3 or 4 times a week.  30 mins of HI aerobics, usually on the eliptical or "master stairs".  Treadmill isn't my favorite but I decided to do it for day 1 of BFL to consecrate (sp?) the commitment to doing something different.  After the aerobics I would spend about 40 mins of unplanned but routine resistance training (endurance/strength) working all the same muscles groups covered in BFL.  The results of approximately 9 months of work is loss of approximately 20 lbs, moderate increase in strength but still unsatisfied because I'm not where I want to be.

I glad the book feel and magically opened on the floor grabbing my attention.  A new vector is what I need.  I have committed to being open minded and I desperately wanted to change the random routine I was in.  I suppose I will start another tread with before/afters...just not sure if I want to wait for a 6 week progress report yet.  The website and stories are motivational and provide a lot of information.  Thanks to whom ever it is responsible for posting all this free information, much of it is new to me.  One thing is for sure, I will follow it without fail and I'll post the results.

KO

on 22 May 2012 4:33 PM

I just started C1 after giving up completely six years ago why i gave up i dont know because i was physically fit and was very attractive however marriage,kids,and life in general makes women especially stop focusing on out health and well being because we are so busy takeing care of our families.So thats yesterday and its a new day and I know i can do it because I did it for over a year back then it really does work unlike these diet programs that cost ridiculous amounts of money for the prepared meals I have never done that and never will because I know this works.Im hoping to keep in touch with other women who work and have children to get some insight on how other moms do this and stick with it.thanks for reading

• These are all the responses so far, from all the threads, consolidated.

Conversations Begin Here:

Genesiah on 21 May 2012 1:55 AM

@klang - Have you set yourself some goals? What do you want to achieve from this Challenge/ why have you decided to start the challenge, etc. It gets easier as you go along, but I found if I was craving 'naughty' food during the week, I needed to remind myself why I started & that rest day wasn't far away :) Everyone has their own approach, but that's what worked for me. A lot of ppl I've come across have said that they write down their cravings, to get them out of their system, so to speak. Then on rest day, satisfy that craving.

Most importantly, don't beat yourself up if you slip. We're human after all. :) Just go back to the plan with your next meal.

All the best!

MonRac on 21 May 2012 4:07 PM

Week 1, Day 1...so far so good. I woke up at 6am and completed the upper body workout. For me, that is the best time of the day to get the workout in, before the daily "obstacles" start making my goals and vision blurry.

@klang- Be sure to clean out all your pantry and get rid of any "unauthorized" foods. And get of healthy snacks that can help you get over that eating hump, when you need to. Stay strong and focused. (I am speaking now to myself as well ;)

@Genesiah- great tip about writing down the craving! I will definitely try that during this challenge. And congrats on all the previous weight loss! 30 lbs of weight removal is astounding!

Let's keep up the momentum, people!

JamBrandt on 22 May 2012 5:16 PM

Yesterday I found it easier than I thought it would be to stick to the eating plan. Today I found it harder to get out of bed and go for my walk. But I feel great that I did do it. Hope you all have a great day.

• People might want to post longer introductions, more like KO and Samwise ...

I'll do one in a bit, but I've already spend lots of time putting this thread together with all the quotes, and have to duck out for a bit.

• Here's my longer introduction:

I'm not signed up for the challenge, just doing this to get back in shape.

I live in Houston, Texas, and I'm a stay at home dad. Kids are all into high school now, and I'm 44. Anyway, I run marathons and have run one ultra-marathon, but I'm in cruddy shape right now after a couple of health problems. First I got my sternum broken during a taewondo drill (not my mistake, btw) and then later in the same year my appendix ruptured. The doctor didn't diagnose it as a ruptured appendix, so it was another 4 days until I actually started having seizures and my wife called an ambulance. Emergency surgery, 7 days in the hospital, completely delirious. 30 days of barely moving, while eating everything possible to heal a 10 inch incision and retain muscle mass ... another 60 days of not being allowed to lift more than 30 pounds. That restriction got lifted 22 days ago, so I started going to the gym and eventually decided that I'd use BFL as the program for getting back into shape. I put on 20 pounds (and lost a lot of muscle, too), so there's a long way to go.

And my progress report for 5/22/12

I just did my first aerobic day on a stationary bike -- I used one that had a cupholder and a tv screen, because there were places to put my stopwatch and my piece of paper and my pen and my water bottle ... And then realized that since the machine has a timer on it, I looked pretty stupid checking that stopwatch. Took me about five minutes to leap catlike to that realization. :)

I've only eaten 2 meals, and it's 2:40PM, but that's probably okay ... I get hungrier in the evenings. Ideally I would be spacing the meals out better, but it's going to take a bit of practice to get into the program (like knowing the bike has a timer on it).

• Good idea consolidating same dayers.  Here is my log from yesterday.  I am trying to determine a baseline starting point for each workout.  I did have one minor "phail" yesterday...3 chocolate covered espresso beans...hehe.

DATE: 22 May 12 PLANNED START TIME: 1600 ACTUAL START TIME: 1600
    DAY  1 OF 84 PLANNED END TIME: 1620 ACTUAL END TIME: 1620
    AEROBIC WORKOUT TIME TO COMPLETE: 20 MIN. TOTAL TIME: 20
    EXERCISE PLAN ACTUAL MEAL PLAN MEAL ACTUAL  
    MIN BY MIN INTENSITY LEVEL MIN BY MIN INTENSITY LEVEL MEAL 1
      MEAL 1
    left over steak
    STATIONARY BIKE
    OR
    TREADMILL
    OR
    ELIPTICAL
    OR
    STAIRMASTER
    OR
    RUN/WALK OUTSIDE
    (CIRCLE ONE)
    1 5 1 4   strawberries
    2 5 2 4    
    3 6 3 5 MEAL 2
      MEAL 2
    whey protein mix w/water
    4 7 4 6    
    5 8 5 7    
    6 9 6 8 MEAL 3
      MEAL 3
    turkey breast
    7 6 7 5   brocolli
    8 7 8 6   oatmeal
    9 8 9 7 MEAL 4
      MEAL 4
    myoplex 30 bar
    10 9 10 8   3 chocolate cvrd expresso bns
    11 6 11 5    
    12 7 12 6 MEAL 5
      MEAL 5
    turkey breast
    13 8 13 7   yam/sweet potato
    14 9 14 8   raw carrots
    15 6 15 5 MEAL 6
      MEAL 6
    berries
    16 7 16 6    
    17 8 17 7    
    HIGH POINT 18 9 18 8
    19 10 19 9
      20 5 20 5
    NOTES: treadmill at work all at 2 degree incline.  Min. 1-2 @ 2.5mph (int=~4).  Min. 3,7, 11 & 15 @ 3mph (int=5).
    Min. 4, 8, 12, 16 @ 4 mph (int=~6).  Min. 5, 9, 13, 17 @ 5 mph (int=~7).  Min. 6, 10, 14, 18 @ 6 mph (int=~8).
    Min 19 @ 7 mph (int=~9).  Min 20 same as 3, 7, 11 and 15 (int=~5).  Start next aerobic on this treadmill w/the
    following: 3 mph, 4 mph, 5 mph, 6 mph, 7 mph with a high point of 8 mph and reassess
    NOTES: hungry between meal 1 and 3 … try mixing lowfat yogurt with whey protein tomorrow

I copy and pasted from MS Excel so I hope it transfer over okay.  I did discover a delicious mix today although I was sceptical as I was mixing it.  100% whey protein shake mix and fat-free yogurt (berry flavah!).  It turned out pretty good.  Just had meal 5 and heading to the gym for lower body.

Cheers

• Copy and pasteing from MS Excel no worky.  I hope you guys can read this...I used max allowable width and had to rotate it.

• You guys rock, way to go! I think three espresso beans will be your undoing, KO! Lol J/k

I've had the book for probably a decade, never started just THOUGHT about starting. Then I was at Barnes & Noble and saw the "Success Journal" and thought-- "that's JUST what I need!" Had that for about four years, then something (okay, a girl) switched and I knew THIS year was gonna be it man! Then January went by... February, March... I was getting pissed at myself so I put my foot down and wrote in my calendar-- starting April 30, a Monday. Well, you know where this goes, but hey, now I'm here with you guys, on Day 2, and a grin sits on my face. I think in hindsight for me simply starting this will be the biggest hurdle. Of course I have 81 days to go, but my upper body workout yesterday was good and not hell on earth, and this morning's cardio rocked, I was dripping sweat.

I'm looking forward to the metabolism kicking in tho, I was SO tired yesterday! A little today too, but better. Oh, AND I've lost two pounds... eating more than I ever have! So weird but Bill's right! God I want a kick-ass body. I'm going the whole distance, who's with me?!!? Lol!

• Thank you for consolidating us all together!  Great idea - but I'm sure it was a bit time consuming, so thank you.  So first workout yesterday (upper body) went well over all, with the exception to the fact that I totally underestimated my starting weights (I'm a little stronger than I thought - I guess that's a good thing), and so my intensity levels were off the first few exercises, but I started increasing the weights and so was able to hit a high point with at least one towards the end.  I made many notes for moving up weights for my next upper body workout.

Unfortunately I didn't make it in to the gym today to do my cardio workout - 2 out of 3 kiddos were not feeling well and I didn't want to take them into the day care.  Was hoping to do some dance workouts this evening, but husband is staying up later than usual and watching tv.  So I hope everyone is feeling better tomorrow so I can get in lower body and cardio.

I have not been doing too bad on my nutrition, but I know that I really need to focus on that the most.  

It sounds like everyone is off to a great start!!  Keep up the good work!  We can do it!

• Btw, nice work on consolidating the strings, mythmere!! Considering I have ZERO idea how to do that, you... are the man. (I think, could be female...:-)

• Hi all,

I thought I would also post a longer introduction. I am a 38 year old mom, wife, and elementary school teacher. The teacher part makes it really hard to stay fit because my students and other staff members are constantly bringing sweets to school. I absolutely love sweets and it has often become my comfort food. About 1 1/2 years ago, I took up running to get my blood pressure under control and I dropped about 15 lbs and got my blood pressure in check. However, the stress of dealing with my out of control teenage daughter and a boss that I really couldn't stand had me turning back to food in no time. So I pretty much gained back all 15 lbs.

Currently, I weigh 162 lbs. My goal for this challenge is to lose 25 lbs, however, I would like to lose 40 altogether. I started yesterday and so far so good. I was pretty much starving yesterday, but today my body seems already to be adjusting to eating smaller, more frequent meals. I trained lower body yesterday and I went for a 3 mile walk/run this evening. I already seem to have more energy because I finally did not feel the need to come home and take a nap today as I usually do. I am super excited to continue this challenge and make it through to August. My biggest worry at this point is going to visit my sister for 2 weeks in June. She is an awesome cook and baker and it's going to take a lot of willpower not to want to eat everything in sight!

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

• Hi Again,

It is fun and enjoyable to read everyone's stories, reasons and goals.  I wish everyone the best of luck.  Anywho, here are my documented plan/results for day 2.  If you are inclined please read and provide feedback if you think it will positively enhance my results.  If there is a better thread or place for this let me know.  If people don't care to see it let me know too.  I think this data is potentially useful for others to see; especially if it helps me!  =)  JK.

• I don't see the image I posted <shrug>.  Is there a delay or should I repost?

• i also started Monday! so am glad to join this thread!

• i love the eating plan and the gym routine and im sticking to it! i tend to use WHOLE foods as opposed to meal replacement powders though. takes some planning but i think its cleaner!

i do LOVE my peanut butter though and wandering if i can include it DAILY (1 tablespoon)... SUrely i can still get results?

• I can't find PB as an authorized food =(  Can you get by with just taking a wiff once in awhile?