STARTING C2 APRIL 23RD ....any takers :) :) :)

• @jodi- yes I'm working the booty off my booty. :)

I hope you all are having a great week!

For those of you the might be having a tough time or cheated during the week just remember this: if you fall going up the stairs you don't go all the way to the bottom of the stairs and start over. You get your butt back up and keep on going! Keep on going guys and choose to be the person you were meant to be!

• Set the alarm for 5:30 this morning...evidently hit a wrong button and didn't get up till 6. Not enough time before going to work.  Dreaded it all day because I knew I had a long day at work and wouldn't feel like it when I got home. Finally got home about 9pm. Told the kids good night and checked the forum, read a few posts and went to the weights for my UBWO....46 minutes on the dot....AND I AM PUMPED!!!!!  Now I have to chill so I can go to sleep and get up in the AM to finish up my first week.  Congrats to all for your first week, keep pushing, stay focused and Be Safe!

• Pirate Booty????!!!!! I have never heard of it and I guess at this point I should keep it that way lol.

Ok so how come no one told me that I cannot survive on just simple carbs? For this challenge I thought I would just eat veggies and fruits for my carb portions.....but my energy was so low.....did a little research and re-informed myself about the difference between simple and complex carbs.....no wonder. That led me to a fantastic brown rice recipe in which for the first time ever my brown rice came out soft and fluffy instead of mushy and hard. All of you probably know this already but just in case I'm going to share it with you.....

1. Rinse 1 cup of brown rice.

2. Put it in 12 cups of boiling water, cover it and let it cook for 30 min.

3. Drain the rice in a strainer and put the rice back in the pot. Don't turn your stove on.

4. Cover the pot and let the rice sort of steam in there for 10 minutes.

5. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!

I added 3 tbs of chopped cilantro and a 1/4 cup of lemon juice and salt to it.....delicious!!!!! I never have to go back to white rice again. and thank god for this epiphany because I needed something a little more filling than an apple.

Workout went great today btw but looking forward to Sunday to rest my muscles

• Got quite encouraged today - I'd been worried that I was eating too much, the BFL plan seemed to involve a lot more food than I usually eat. Well, I checked weight and measurements this morning, and while my weight is only down one pound, my body fat check says I've already dropped almost five and a half pounds of fat, and my lean has recovered by almost four and a half pounds, which I assume is mostly water gain (I'd lost almost six pounds of lean mass over the past few months, most of which was probably water weight lost in Lenten fasting). And my belly is down by just over an inch.

Looking forward to this afternoon's UBWO - It was originally planned for this morning but I found out I'd mis-remembered what equipment I have at home (no dumbbells - I was SURE I had dumbbells!) and will need to replace most of the exercises I'd planned, so gotta look through the books and websites to see what I can do with what I've got.

• BTW - Diane, I can say that ALL of us didn't know that already - that brown rice recipe looks like something I'll want to try, I've never really liked brown rice but adding the cilantro and lemon juice might be just the thing to make it palatable,

• Good job on your workout guys!

Hahah, the pirate booty strikes again. John,  I don't know how you can resist it on the counter! Jodi, Oh my, I love smartfood too! And don't even get me started on cheese puffs. But the pirate booty is tricky because it appears to be healthier than those others. Diane, I wish I never heard of pirate booty myself.

@John - Mmmm grilled salmon is my favorite! Thanks for the tip on water.

@Diane - Thanks for the tip on brown rice! Lemon juice is a great idea, stickles.

@fivtwenty7 - I also get up before 5:30 to work out and I can totally relate to dreading the PM workout after a long day and by the time the kids are in bed at 9pm there are many opportunities to talk oneself out of it. We're so proud of you for doing it! Great job!

@mstickles - Awesome job on the weight loss! My weight day is Monday and hope I lost 2 lbs. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the inspiration! I am promising myself a trip to the Caribbean when I accomplish my goal. It will take 2 challenges but I can't wait. I envision crystal clear water when I hold the muscle contractions. Are any of you doing anything to reward yourselves?

• What is pirate booty?  Although I probably don't really want to know from the sound of it.

• Hi everyone,

Just checking in, just finished meal 5 grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli and baked sweet potato. I refuse to cheat so I ate the potato with nothing on it. I thought it was good, so I guess that's what matters. I decided for my dilemma of whether to eat at work overnight or not, that I would just eat 5 meals today and save one for around 2am. Then maybe eat my breakfast super early tomorrow. I don't trust myself on my free day so I'm planning to stick to the book, maybe even up to the halfway point. I haven't had too many cravings so far, which is good for me since I've got a huge sweet tooth. My work crew went to a taco place after work today, I had water and went straight to the rec center to do my cardio afterwards. Does anyone having any suggestions on breakfast that doesn't include eggs? I like them I just ran out and want to have other options for variety.

After reading some of your posts I had to Google pirate booty, I had no idea what it was. I guess I'm lucky there, I know I would've liked it. It's great to see everyone sticking with this and it's definitely motivating especially on those hard workouts. It's good to be able to tell yourself you aren't the only one struggling through, and that you've got so much support. I find myself explaining to a lot of people what I'm doing and suggesting they might try it too.

What are some of your goals? I think it would be good to know what we're working toward. As for me, I want to lose a couple jean sizes, run a 5K in 30 minutes, and be able to grab the rim on a basketball goal (I used to be able to), and just become a better planner when it comes to eating and perhaps even life in general.

I hope everyone has a great free day!

Donnie

• AWESOME upper body workout! Managed three high point "10"s, the rest "9"s. I can't imagine everything falls together like that very often, so it's nice to have my free day to savor it before the next workout brings me down to earth again. Johnj7777, I think I'll be using your phrase "that's the feeling of progress" as a continuous mantra tomorrow :-).

@fivtwenty7 - Pirate's Booty is a snack thing made from puffed rice and corn with various flavors and whatnot. I've only seen it online myself, never in a store or vending machine, so I can't comment on the addictiveness. My "kryptonite" is Martins Dippin' Chips, I can eat a whole 7 oz bag in one sitting, so I do my shopping for the week at a store that doesn't carry them and avoid the snack bar at work which carries 4 oz bags for $1.19 (before starting BFL I'd go through between three and seven bags in one week).

• @ZFW_GO, didn't see your post until I'd posted mine. My goal (from my first post here) is to get to 185 lbs and 12% body fat from my starting 230 lbs and 34% body fat. My "deadline" goal which prompted that goal is to get in top shape for my church men's group's mission trip to Alaska this summer. We'll be doing construction work in one of the native villages, and I didn't want my horrible physical condition to make me a net liability to my team. The departure date is one week after I finsh the Challenge, so the timing seemed perfect.

• Alright before the legend of Pirates Booty grows even more let me just point out that I never said I thought it was a miracle snack. :) I think the most dangerous snack is the one that’s available to you. The kids really like it and its considered to be "healthier"  and so there are always some available at home.  I think there are way better snacks if I’m going to cheat but then I’d have to drive to get some ;)

@mstickles- I’m so glad you are hooked on the concept that muscle soreness is the feeling of progress! It is 100% true.  People think they develop muscles from lifting weights. That is NOT true. When you lift weights you are actually breaking down and ripping muscle fibers.  This is what causes soreness. You build muscles when you are asleep when those muscle fibers heal and grow stronger. This assumes you are eating the right foods and plenty of protein. That’s why its critical you get enough protein and rest.  So yeah when it hurts so good the next day I know I kicked ass the day before. But don’t confuse muscle soreness or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) with pain related to injury!

I also enjoyed your story of why you are doing BFL, it reminded me of my first challenge.  When I first did BFL about 12 years ago I lost about 40 pounds of fat and gain 20 pounds of muscle.  Shortly after I finished the challenge, I went on a sea kayaking trip in Alaska though the Prince William sound. I was the fastest paddler and also had the most stamina of anyone on the trip. This included Alaskans that regularly went kayaking there!  BFL works and it works well if you let it. Follow the book religiously and it will pay of. You clearly have the will, you just need to bring it everyday.

@ZFW_GO- Great to hear you are hanging in there, eating right and avoiding temptation. For breakfast I like fruit and low fat cottage cheese, or oatmeal with vanilla whey protein powder, 0% fat greek yogurt with fruit, on a weight lifting day I will have a myoplex shake for breakfast. I make it in the blender with ice and just drink it over the sink. Its fast, easy and gives me 42g of protein to start off the day ( I know I know I sound like an EAS commercial). Also don’t limit yourself to just breakfast food.  I’ll have a sandwich with whole grain bread, or more chicken breast with brown rice or quinoa. Also, have you tried the breakfast recipes on this site (bodyforlife.com/.../breakfast). People swear by the protein pancakes.

In terms of my goals for this challenge, its really about developing more muscle mass and strength.  In particular,  I want to add 60 more pounds to my max bench press weight,  and lose another 2% of fat.  I want the six pack abs that have been so hard to get.  This time for sure.

@diane- I’m going to use your brown rice recipe tomorrow when I prepare some of my meals for the week. Thank you very much for the recipe!

I encourage anyone that hasn’t posted in awhile to do so.  You need a support group and we’d love to hear from you!

• @ZFW_GO..."Good Food Made Simple" Steel Cut Oats Oatmeal...frozen Oatmeal.  Doesn't sound great but it's pretty good...just water and Oatmeal.  Microwave 3 minutes, add just a little bit of milk and some honey and eat up.  

goodfoodmadesimple.com/.../oatmeal  

• Hey everyone. I hope everyone has a great day today. I'm going the gym to work out and take the kids for a swim. Should be fun since they love to swim.

@ZFW_GO- I agree with you oatmeal is great and even better if its fast, just leave off the honey ;) If you need a sweetener go with Stevia or splenda

• Gooooooooooooooooood morning! Just wanted to check in since it's been about a day or two since I last updated :)

Yesterday was my free day...which I think I did pretty good on! I had two eggs and a yogurt with flax seed for breakfast, some white cheddar popcorn for a snack, chicken enchiladas for lunch, and then only a half a burger with some tater tots for dinner....and then indulged myself with a craft beer as well. I was just telling my boyfriend yesterday that normally I'd eat the entire bag of popcorn, all of the tater tots, and the whole burger...but I cut it in half. Not the healthiest of food yesterday but I felt more in control of my urge to just dominate the entire plate of food.

On my way to the gym for my cardio and LBW...I switched my free day to yesterday instead of today, and now my paperwork is off and it will drive me crazy if I don't get it back in order. I know, I'm a goof :)  And ther'es nothing wrong with a little extra work out. I'm sure it won't have any negative effects :)

Also, be sure to check out my blog! I'd say it's mostly geared toward women for inspiration, but I'll try to have it more towards men too so that we can all be inspired. Have a great day everybody!

www.projectgethotbody.tumblr.com

"...I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

• My bad...the link is

http://gethotbody.tumblr.com/

"...I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."