STARTING C2 APRIL 23RD ....any takers :) :) :)

• Well thank you every much MK (or is it mrs. wild cherry? ;)).  I took a break from BFL which is good from time to time but being back and getting back into the pattern feels really good.  I did upper body and I can still feel that tight feeling which I love.  Some of you sound very new to BFL and let me tell you that it may seem confusing at times but it really is simple, especially when someone walks you through it.  There's strength in numbers so don't hesitate to ask questions! Here are my first week tips:

1. plan, plan, plan (the better your planning the better you'll do) I would even map out every meal and every workout  in advance. It takes some time to make it a habit and until then its better to know exactly what you are going to do. Make spreadsheets showing all this

2. For the first week keep meals simple. then get advanced in future weeks. there’s too much going on with workouts and regular life to get fancy. I have two easy fall back meals I always have ready 1) low fat cottage cheese and fruit, or 2) 0% fat greek yogurt and fruit. Its easy, no cooking and tastes great.  I know yogurt is considered a carb but Greek yogurt is more protein than carb.

3.  keep repeating the same meals over and over again. It sometimes gets boring but its simple and easy. I don’t have to think about it.  At some point you will realize, that food is just fuel to power your body and then you will have a healthy relationship with food.

4. Don’t have any sugar in any form- Sugar is more addictive than cocaine (don’t believe me?). You have a little and then you want more. Don’t open the door at all.  Some of you can manage but I find after 2 weeks I have no cravings at all for sugar and feel amazing.

5. If you do cheat, forgive yourself and move on, you are only human

6. Make it a priority to workout and eat well.  If you really want it then you can find time for it.  Ask yourself, how badly do you want it, then go for it? No excuses.

6. Ask questions over and over until you get it!

If anyone has any questions or would like to talk don’t hesitate to ask! I love this site and the people on it and want to see all of you successful.

• Well thank you every much MK (or is it mrs. wild cherry? ;)).  I took a break from BFL which is good from time to time but being back and getting back into the pattern feels really good.  I did upper body and I can still feel that tight feeling which I love.  Some of you sound very new to BFL and let me tell you that it may seem confusing at times but it really is simple, especially when someone walks you through it.  There's strength in numbers so don't hesitate to ask questions! Here are my first week tips:

1. plan, plan, plan (the better your planning the better you'll do) I would even map out every meal and every workout  in advance. It takes some time to make it a habit and until then its better to know exactly what you are going to do. Make spreadsheets showing all this

2. For the first week keep meals simple. then get advanced in future weeks. there’s too much going on with workouts and regular life to get fancy. I have two easy fall back meals I always have ready 1) low fat cottage cheese and fruit, or 2) 0% fat greek yogurt and fruit. Its easy, no cooking and tastes great.  I know yogurt is considered a carb but Greek yogurt is more protein than carb.

3.  keep repeating the same meals over and over again. It sometimes gets boring but its simple and easy. I don’t have to think about it.  At some point you will realize, that food is just fuel to power your body and then you will have a healthy relationship with food.

4. Don’t have any sugar in any form- Sugar is more addictive than cocaine (don’t believe me?). You have a little and then you want more. Don’t open the door at all.  Some of you can manage but I find after 2 weeks I have no cravings at all for sugar and feel amazing.

5. If you do cheat, forgive yourself and move on, you are only human

6. Make it a priority to workout and eat well.  If you really want it then you can find time for it.  Ask yourself, how badly do you want it, then go for it? No excuses.

6. Ask questions over and over until you get it!

If anyone has any questions or would like to talk don’t hesitate to ask! I love this site and the people on it and want to see all of you successful.

• Hi Jodi!!!!

I'm starting today too :) Let's do this!!!!!!!!

"...I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

• Hello Everyone,

I'm starting today as well. Had trouble posting for a while now. E-mailed BFL yesterday and they straightened it all out. Good luck to everyone this go round.

• my apologies for posting this as a reply, but I'm wondering if i am missing something.  It looks like the only option I have for posting is to reply to someone's post.  Yesterday I didn't even have this option and I am wondering if this is a continuing glitch or I'm just not seeing where I can make a new post to this thread.

• well evidently not...it appears to come up as a new post...sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, started my second round today.  My first challenge was about 12 years ago and I had great results then...looking to make it a two-fer!

• After countless failed attempts, I'm in to finish this time.  Thanks for starting this thread, Jodi!

• John,

When you eat cottage cheese, about how much are you eating?  I love cottage cheese and am currently eating about a half a cup, but I think that only gives me about 9g of protein.  Do you eat more?

• Hey everyone. I got up early and went for a run this morning, still sweating like I'm melting!  I love running in the morning, it wakes me up, makes me feel amazing.  The other good thing about morning workouts is if I miss the morning for whatever reason, I have a chance to do it in the evening. If I plan for the evening and I miss it then I'm out of luck!

Fivtwenty7- Yeah the reply button is for the whole thread, not each post.  Its one of many bugs on this site! Congrats on starting your second challenge and make a difference in your life!

piercej1- I follow the body for life book as closely as possible.  My fist is a bit bigger than a cup.  A cup of low fat cottage cheese is about 26g of protein, 10g of carbs, and 160 calories.  I mix in a fist full of fruit and the thing is about 300 calories.  I shoot for 1g of protein for each pound of body weight and I weigh 185 pounds so its slightly on the low end but I make up the difference when I have a protein shake (myoplex shake is 42g of protein).  

iwork2blessu2- Welcome!

valliegirl19- welcome!

• I think I want to add "caffeine" to John's point #4. Before starting the Challenge, I was a bona fide soda addict, probably averaging close to 2 liters per day (I did cut back a lot during Lent, but didn't quit). I would mix diet and non-diet, but never drank caffeine-free.

After reading BFL and CBFL, I quit all sodas for the Challenge, with my last one being Sunday afternoon. Well, yesterday afternoon I felt like someone was running a jackhammer behind my eyes; this morning it's still a strong pressure-ache. Thank goodness my workout yesterday came before the headache, and today's is scheduled for mid-afternoon (after work) when hopefully it'll settle down a bit more.

• @mstickles- I completely agree with you on the soda. Most people can shed pounds just by cutting out the soda.  In addition, artificial sweeteners have been shown to be an appetite stimulator so even though its calorie free you start to want to eat food. My wife stopped having pepsi and she got the same headaches which took about a week to stop.

I do think that caffeine however is not necessary bad. In fact research shows that caffeine is a performance enhancer (www.nytimes.com/.../26best.html)  and is also thermogenic (makes you burn more calories. Its usually all the other stuff you put into it that makes it bad.

I have black coffee or tea (and I drink it without sugar or milk). I find it gives me a good boost. But that's just me.

• Hey Gang

Call me nuts but I wanted to get an idea of who was part of our group..so far I have:

Me (jodi),

MK Wildcherry,

Cowgirl2,

Diane33,

Mstickles,

Richard,

Rookgirl

Johnj7777

Valliegirl19

Iwork2blessu2

fivtwenty7

piercje1

leakyvallve

YAY group!!!!! keep it going !!

this is my 2nd go around & altho I am doing the BFL eating & workouts, I had to tweak the workouts due to a nagging shoulder that bothers me,  so I am able to get 1 really good hardcore upper body workout in a week..which I must unfortunately break-up into 2 days or its just too much for the joint :(  this makes me sad but im still doing my 12/10/8/6/12/12 for each body part (i do throw in one more 12rep set of a 3rd exercise just to make sure i hit my muscles from every angle since its only once a week) and then i stretch like crazyyyyy

Lower body I am able to do 2 times a week..love lower body (I do change things up every 4 weeks)...If im not a little bit sore after every workout , i make sure im hitting my 10's the next time..Im usually always sore tho lol   A good sore, not crippled and cardio is wonderful :)  I dont hate it, I actually really like the elliptical so its all good.

Have a great day everyone, get those workouts in and eat clean...keep on keepin on :)

Jodi

• I am in as well!!!!

• EXCELLENT :)

Glad you joined us...this is gonna be awesome

• First strength workout (upper body) just completed. Lessons learned:

(1) Make sure your same-muscle-group exercises *can* be switched between rapidly. I had a couple where I had to both change the bench incline and change the weight on my dumbbells, which kinda wiped out the "0-minute" switch-over. I wasn't thinking about that when I set up my program for today.

(2) Stretch and test your range of motion beforehand. I didn't realize I had a shoulder problem until I'd already started the dumbbell flyes. If I had tested my range of motion beforehand I could have switched to another exercise without interrupting the workout.

In spite of those mis-steps, and the fact that I had no idea how much weight to use when I started, I still managed to get six "9"s out of the ten high-point sets. I had a chance for "10"s on two of them but didn't push it enough - if I'd had someone standing there pumping me up I'm sure I could have gotten another rep or two both times (only got 9 and 10 reps in out of 12 those times).

All in all, though, I think it wasn't too bad for a "first-time" effort.