Week 3: No transformation yet :(

• Hey, everybody.

I'm in the middle of my 3rd week on BFL and I haven't lost any weight... is this common? I've read that with women, there is usually a big transformation around week 8, but I would think I would have lost some weight by now... I'm 5'6", starting weight 155lbs, body fat percentage ~25%. Is it common to not have lost anything at this point in the challenge?

I'm following the diet pretty much to a T and doing the regular workouts. The only difference is I had to find alternative leg workouts because I have a knee problem and can't do anything with squatting involved.

Not sure what kind of answer I'm looking for. I guess just a little reassurance that I'm not the only person who isn't seeing results yet...

Thank you!

Check out my blog! LivingOnMacros.wordpress.com

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

• Have you lost inches?  Have you noticed a pair of pants that maybe were snug before - but now are looser?  And remember muscle weighs more than fat.  Don't get discouraged, hang in  - it works.

Dee

• Hi,   I am also 5'6" and weigh 149 lbs.  I have noticed "some" slight changes but nothing significant as of yet.  I am nearing the end of my 2nd week.  I did BFL a few years ago and if I remember correctly I didn't start losing until around week 3 or 4.  I would lose some and then level at that weight for awhile and then all of a sudden lose some more.  I am just now starting to feel more energy and less bloated.  :)  Don't get discouraged!  KEEP ON..KEEP ON!!  To me, the initial weeks are made up of trying to get the routine down, sore muscles and establishing the diet.  Basically, transitioning into the program.  Hang in there!  Mosher

~Nothing changes until SOMETHING changes~

• I have lost a little bit measurement wise, so I'm happy about that. I just keep bumping up my cardio intensity to hit a new 'level 10' and keep trying to increase my weights. I was feeling a little down at the beginning of the week, but am still pumped and am just trying to keep at the front of my mind the reason why I'm doing this. Thanks for the support and encouragement!!

• I am about the same size as you. I am on week 4 I lost 6 ponds my 1st week but I think that was water weight. My weight has stayed the same this whole time but my jeans didn't fit last weekend they were too big. I didn't measure myself before I started and now I wish I would have. I think maybe we just exchange fat for muscle and our weight stays the same at first. I can see some differences and I am stronger and faster. I am interested to know if more women are experiencing this, and at which week during the challenge people further along noticed a difference in their weight.

• I'm on week 4 also.  5' 6", started at 170lbs.  My second week I lost 2.5 pounds, but my third week I GAINED a pound.  But my waist measurements have been going steadily down, even on the week that I gained--I've lost 2.5 inches from my natural waist.  So, I'm just trusting that it's working, and trying not to dwell on the scale too much.  As long as we keep hitting those 10's, and stick to the meal-plan, we'll get there (I hope).

• Faithrainbow -- That's great! Like Proverbs31 said, muscle weighs more than fat. I've always known this, but seeing the scale move is just that much more gratifying. It sounds like you're replacing your body fat with muscle. Have you been keeping track of your body fat percentage?

• Well, I tried to.  I measured it with one of those electrical-impulse measuring things at our gym, but when I went to measure again I was told that it was malfunctioning.  So I don't know if the original reading was accurate or not.  So last week I got a scale that measures body fat as well, and its reading is higher than the one at the gym.  So I'll be able to measure based on my scale, but only starting from now.  Oh well.

• Use the search box and find the 8 Week Miracle / Ladies Success document by Mike Harris.  I will also try and find the last copy of it.  You are doing great.  Keep it up.

Ps - Muscle does not weigh more than fat, that would be impossible.  It weighs more by volume, which means the same pound takes up less space.  At 3 weeks we are likely not talking about anything having to do with muscle though.  It's just likely that your body is getting adjusted.  Follow BFL and the results will come! 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Hey Fellow BFL forum and team members,  Don't let the scale rule your results, it is true that muscle weights a lot more than fat and the scale can be your un,trusted friend when it comes to that. Give some time for the results (usually week 7 or later not so early with most folks), Instead of the scale, try using the OMRON machine at the gym for BMI and Fat percentage results (or the calculator located under Tools here on this website) or the skin calipers (available at GNC for about 17=15 $) they will give a more accurate result range and of course there's ....do your clothes fit looser or more snug at the waistline and overall?

• I am a fan of Bill, but please don't ever go by BMI.  BMI is totally worthless.  Those machines don't do a good job at all with body fat percentage.  Mike Harris gave me a super easy trick to know if you're losing fat.  Calipers are tricky and few use them properly.  Get yourself a tape measure and measure just your waist, always at the same place.  Plain and simple, that will tell you if you are losing fat. 

Also, again, fat does NOT weigh more.  1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of concrete

• Jessica -- Thank you for the comments. I'm sure everyone is aware that 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat, but "muscle weighs more than fat" is just how the saying goes. Saying "a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat" would be quite a mouthful, don't you think? LOL

Everyone likes to measure their progress differently. I use a good old fashioned tape measure and record my measurements every couple of weeks along with keeping a folder with progress pictures, weighing myself, and recording my body fat percentage. The electronic calipers aren't usually correct, but there are few places that measure your % with the clamps unless you go to the Dr's office. As long as you're consistent in how you hold the handles, it should give you a pretty good idea of how much body fat you are losing.

• Amy - You would be surprised!  :)

Also, I think it gets people into thinking that when they gain or didn't lose that it's because of muscle, which is rarely the case.  That could make you temporarily bulk, but not increase weight.  In this case the discussion was around weight, which means muscle wasn't the factor, given 1 pound = 1 pound.  Had it been about the same weight, but smaller, which wasn't said, then yes, absolutely valid. 

I don't think most are consistent with calipers.  Nothing wrong with trying them, just don't be married to it as your full measure.  I do a bod pod in the beginning and then end. 

For me, the scale i s a good measure in between because I am so muscular and consistent in how my body operates.  I think for many, and most women, that's a lousy way of determing progress. 

You gotta find what works for you with regard to a reliable measure of progress (if it's off by x amount, but always, then still reliable) and in a way that you can mentally handle. 

And let me add that I think it's important to point out that muscle weighs the same, but takes up 2/3 less space.  What we want is to be lean and awesome and that drives home the point more than talking poundage. 

• Amy 25% body fat is really good! Here is a chart www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

I am not worried about which weight I achieve a healthy body-fat. I am using body fat % as my number goal and waist in inches. Scale is well, pretty useless to me when building muscle. I am not even using the BMI number, because I will achieve that even before I reach a healthy body-fat percentage.

130lbs at 33% body fat = obese

155lbs at 24% body fat = fitness level

I rather be 155 and have less fat, more muscle. Lean body. Than be 130 and have a high body fat. But this is my vision for myself.

5lb loss puts you in a normal BMI. Amy, What are your fitness goals again?

• p.s. when I strength train (which I haven't in a year) I don't see real results until the 5th week. Everyone is different and every time is different. I just know if I want to see anything worth experiencing I might have to wait.

If it took less than 12-weeks this would be a 4-week challenge!!!!!!