Female and Over 50 looking for a partner or group

• I am a 54 year old female 9th grade English teacher from Summerville, SC and I am once again trying to complete the BFL challenge.  I am in dire need of a partner or a group to join.  I have always been my own motivation but I am finding that as my life has changed and I am faced with other challenges, I am in need of a partner or a group to exchange ideas and for the basic support to remind me that I can do this.

My work schedule is the biggest culprit in my life.  I am on the road three hours a day.  I live an hour and a half  from work and needless to say I am exhausted when I get home which at times can be as late as 9 or 10 at night.  My average arrival time in the evenings is between 6:15 and 7:00pm.  So I am trying to find a time to work out, a time to eat, a time to prepare the meals for my lunch kit, grade papers, review lesson plans and all other general things required to be ready for the next day.  If I am on my "A" game, I should be rising between 4:30 and 5:00 am, want to guess how often that happens?

In terms of working out, if I walk one night then I am too exhausted to walk the next night.  I can live with a day off in between days-even though I do not like it.  But I am ready to add weights to my routine and I very concerned about my crazy schedule.  A wonderful gym has opened across from my subdivision and I want to join for the motivation but my drive to and from work is so costly with the high gas prices that I am reluctant to join and have another bill. 

So, such is my saga.  If there are any other over 50 year olds out there who want to form a support group, I would love to hear from you.  If not, I will join one of the forums currently available such as "Getting Started." 

Here's to hearing from someone as we engage in the BFL challenge.

• Hi, my name is Janet and I just turned 57 on Feb. 27th.  Your schedule does sound brutal!  I feel for you.  I have been reading up on the challenge, bought the book and have made up two workout schedules, but I cannot start until April 16, due to other challenges and travel which would just set me up for failure if I don't start with a clear calendar.  I am using these pre weeks to prepare my mind and start working in that direction of discipline.  I am thinking, do you have the summers off?  Perhaps you should start then, if that is possible.  I'll still be on my challenge and I can support you either way.  Let me know what you think, or when you are choosing to start.  Also, how much do you want to lose?  I'm thinking about 20 pounds.  My clothes don't fit right now, and I am getting depressed over it, and summer is coming!  We can't give up!

• I am going to begin on April 9 and I, like you, am using my pre-weeks to get my ducks in a row, to prepare my mind for working out and for being discipline in preparing healthy meals ahead of time. I too would like to lose 20lbs. I am tired of the way my clothes fit and the way I feel in my body. It is depressing especially with summer almost here.

ENJOY the process!!! Know that this takes time, Just be committed to doing your best EACH DAY

• Hi, I agree with Janet your schedule does sound brutal. Is it possible for you to get some exercise during lunch or during breaks or maybe join a gym closer to work? Meal planning and preparation I believe is the key. I am beginning April 9. I am using the pre-weeks to prepare mentally to be disciplined, to get my notebook together of exercises and to look at meal plans. I plan to prepare my meals on either Sat or Sun for the week. I also plan to keep healthy snacks with me like ready to drink protein drinks, almonds, etc.

btw I am female and will be 53 in a few weeks. I want to lose about 20lbs. I gave myself the name Crawfish because I have been crawfishing, running backward, from accepting that I need to change.  

Wish you well in your endeaveor of becoming healthier.

ENJOY the process!!! Know that this takes time, Just be committed to doing your best EACH DAY

• kkkkkkkkkkk

• Hi Janet,

I'm still trying to get a handle on this BDF site.  Did you get a response to your post from me?

• Hi Crawfish,

Did you get a post from me?  I'm trying to understand the BFL site.

• I don't see one other than this one that asks if I got a post from you. Is there another one?

• No, nothing yet.  I have trouble with this, too.  

• Trying Again and Crawfish -  If you are thinking of starting up on April 9th and are looking for a blog forum… can I offer a blog called ‘Jan. 9th is the day---Any other takers for the challenge? Blog, the ‘9-ers’ blog. We are finishing up our first BFL cycle and many of us are starting up again on April 9th (I guess because we call ourselves 9-ers, any other start day would not be appropriate!).

It is a great active blog with lots of support. I think the age group is diverse with several of us around the 50s age group. Would love it if you would pop in and join us. We have had varying success as a group throughout C1, but I have learned that the group members are very supportive in helping each other strive to meet our individual goals.

Anyway the offer is there if you are interested…for now all the best and we’ll look for you on or before April 9th.

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• thanks! will check it out :-)

• Hi! my name is Kelly and I am fixing to get going...I am 51, turning 52 in June. I think you are smart to look for other women over 50. I have completed a challenge in my early forties. I tried again last year and got discouraged because the process was a little slower than the last time. your name-crawfish? I am from Louisiana. Are you a southerner?

• Hi killarney, why yes I am a southerner :-)  I grew up in south MS, by the MS RIver,  fished in Lake St John, the Old RIver and what I know as the barpits, really borrowed pits because the dirt from these pits were used to make the levi. I did live in LA for several years, now I am in AR and miss eating crawfish and fresh caught fish, fried of coarse. Everything in the deep south if fryable lol. What section or part of LA are you from? Do you still live there?

• morning, Crawfish!

I am right outside New Orleans on the MS/ Louisiana border. I live on the Honey Island Swamp. this can be a challenging place to not put on weight, there is always a party, everything involves food and alcohol, which leads to food. lol. so you are starting right after Easter? one good thing, with my kids grown, there is a lot less Easter candy around here than there used to be.

• Hello:  I am Annie 50 who is beginning the challenge on April 1st (I am starting my life over with 40lbs to lose, and  a body to re-discover, and I'm so very tired of this rut I'm in)  I am almost done reading the BFL  book and I will start the program at home until my finances allow me to join the YMCA.  I live in Ontario, Canada so I am unable to enter the competition, but I am very determined to transform my life.  I'm ready for this change. I am so worth it! As you are!  If you want,  I will be your pen-pal through-out your struggle, you are free to e-mail me at antonette_3@rogers.com

You have much adversity infront of you which should "Piss" you off enough to set your alarm at 4ish-to kick adversity in it's ass!  You are stronger than any adversity. Believe it!