New to this and NEED HELP!!!

• Im new to this and dont know where to start. I have about 70lbs of gross, ugly fat to lose. After looking at the Starter Packs, do I get "Get Lean and Tone"? or "Manage Your Weight"?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other supplements I should get that wont cost me a fortune?  Thanks everyone.

• The book is a good starting point to get an idea of how to start and regiment your workouts. My personal opinion is you really only need a good whey isolate I use CytoSport makers of Muscle Milk 100% Whey Protein 27g 6lb Bag $40/50, its super cheap for the quantity and quality you can get it at Costco or amazin.com. Bodybuilding.com has great articles and a big archive of exercises with videos on using proper form. FORM is the most important thing you can do. livestrong..com/myplate is an amazing place, you can log all the food you eat at that site and has everything already archived so you can just type it in click on it and it logs all the values. But really pick up a copy of the book, body for life and read it if you haven’t. I think your best friend is going to be waking up in the morning and before you eat do 20 minutes of INTERVAL cardio training, I hate running so I always do it on a spinning bike. I just started today so if you want a buddy to talk to and share progress you can message me anytime.

• O ya, make sure your drinking a gallon of water a day. Green tea is also awesome for speeding up you metabolism I have 6 cups a day :), take a daily multi vitamin and make sure your eating six meals a day. There is a calorie calculator on this webpage that  you can use www.bodybuilding.com/.../nutrition

plug in your body weight and it will tell you how many calories to consume a day in order to lose weight.

• Thanks so much Alex...I need all the help and encouragement I can get!  I have found it very hard to stick to a diet in the past, but that is about to change. My ex husband divorced me because I am fat!  Im gonna show him!!!

• Ya np, I would do a lot of reading though I am a guy so most of my knowledge is derived from strategies centered around my genetics and age, I highly recommend doing a lot of reading.

• Ameribrit, I'm so sorry your husband left you due to your weight. It's a shame when a partner cannot be supportive and try to inspire change in their spouse instead of just throwing in the towel.

First off be aware that that this is not a "quick-fix" system: It takes lots of time and effort. Having said that, I think it's ideal because the end result is increased energy and a greater level of health overall, not self starvation and deprivation which can have completely adverse affects in the end. Thin does not always equal healthy!

Also, if you are trying to lose about 70 pounds of body fat, one Challenge will most likely get you only part of the way there. But after the first 12 weeks, you can take 2-3 weeks of active rest and then start a new Challenge with new goals! The beauty of this is that you can do as many Challenges are you like. And with each new Challenge your personal goals will change and so will  your results, which you WILL get if you follow the program!

I think the great thing about Body-For-Life is that you don't necessarily have to see this as a "diet." I don't, and I have a major food fixation. The book explains this concept beautifully (I'd pick it up and cite some of it but I loaned it to my mother, who I'm trying to get into this too!). The idea is to view food as fuel and establish good, conscious eating habits that you can carry with you far beyond the Challenge.

For supplements all you'll want are vitamins and minerals, not appetite suppressants or chemicals. The idea is to detox and build up your body through hydration, clean eating and exercise. I personally take the GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active vitapack once daily, plus Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM and Flaxseed oil with omegas 2x daily. Most of it depends on your personal needs: If you are subject to joint stiffness, soreness, tiredness, etc. Every body is different and has different needs.

Good luck and welcome to the group!

• Thank you so much guys! MW, how long have you been doing this and how much have you lost? Do you follow the exercise guide in the book?  Thanks for your help....I appreciate it soooo much!

• I follow the book to the letter when it comes to workouts. I work out first thing in the morning while I am still fasting. I tried the Challenge a try this time last year but couldn't finish it due to circumstances beyond my control. Here are the stats from each.

Challenge 1 (Feb - April 2011, had to quit @ Week 9):

Starting weight: 167lbs

Ending weight: 158lbs (lost most of this in weeks 6 - 9)

Starting body fat: 31.2%

Ending body fat: 28.6% (lost most of this in weeks 6 - 9)

My first Challenge involved a LOT of cheating: Missed workouts, missed or compromised meals, etc. This second time around I am really sticking to it:

Challenge 2 (Feb - May 2012, starting Week 4 tomorrow!):

Starting weight: 161lbs

Current weight: 161lbs

BUT...

Starting body fat: 30.3%

Current body fat: 28.2%

So I've swapped a LOT of fat for muscle already. There is a Lady Success Document you should check out: Go to Community --> Meal Gallery --> Downloads and click on one of the "Lady Success Document" links there. It will really open your eyes to the process.