Week 3 Frustration

• Okay, I am finishing up week 3 and have not gained overall.  However, in the last week I have put on about 4 pounds according to the scale at the gym.  It's pretty frustrating given all the hard work!!  Anyone have any tips or ideas about why I would be gaining?

• Your weight gain is most likely due to increase in muscle mass: as you are training, your muscles are growing and they weigh more than fat, so you are probably burning a lot more fat than you think.

Scales are not truly indicative of your overall progress. I would recommend you buy some pinch calipers (I got mine from GNC for $15) and a sewing tape. Take your measurements and pinch yourself every 2 or 4 weeks (I'm doing every 2 weeks because I am very impatient). That will give you the most accurate results by far.

I weigh 161 and am entering my 3rd week. My weight hasn't changed at all. However, my true waist is down 3/4", my wearing waist is down 3/8" and my body fat is down a full 2%.

So don't let the scale fool you: Body fat % and measurements are where you'll see the change.

• Shanda when fat is converted to muscle it is heaver, hang in there if you are doing it the way the book says you are transforming and one day BINGO the weight drops....be patient no frustration only happy thoughts of your new you!

Bobbi

• Ok... Muscle does not weigh more than fat.  A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat... A pound!!!  Muscle takes up less space than fat, however, which is why measuring is such a great idea.  Don't focus on the scale... How do you feel?!

• One of the best transformations that I have seen on BFL was a woman whose weight didn't change at all, but her body compositon changed drastically.  She went from being soft & a little heavy to being firm, toned and looking amazing!!!  Your body will trade fat for muscle, and you may not see a change on the scale for awhile.  Be patient!!  Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is the perfect body.  If you keep hitting your 10's and keeping your eating clean, then there is no reason that you won't see changes soon.  Make sure you don't gauge your progress solely on the scale.  Use the way your clothes fit, your body fat percentage, pictures and measurements.  If you haven't done any of those things yet, I suggest you do.  Good luck.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Shanda: BDMom gave a great answer. Let your clothes....pants and belts be your measuring tool. My first challenge back in 2003 was very successful yet I only lost one pound......that's right....one pound. But my body changed dramatically. I  was 44 years old and went from a soft looking body with love handles to this ripped six pack body of a 20 year old. I couldn't believe it but my body was totally transformed. My advice is to stay off the scale for at least a month. All the best in your fitness journey.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"