Are there other people that's taking a long time to get used to BFL???

• I was looking for some support from those who are/were having a hard time getting started with BFL. I am not much of an exerciser so planning exercises are difficult for me. Also I have no clue about weight lifting, so I have only been the 20 minute cardio portion. The first few weeks I started off slow, I only worked out for 3 days working my way up to the 6. I have been trying to stick to the BFL food guideline, but find it hard to plan out meals ahead of time. I guess for me planning is the hard part. With the little work I've done I've lost some lbs and some inches off my waist... If I can find some people out there for support that would be nice. 

• seems easy to me i dunno. i just hope it pays off. i believe it will

• IronyB - I am not really sure if it was hard for me at the start of  the program as opposed to understanding where I should be starting. I was always a runner so the Cardio was easy for me, but understanding exactly how much weight to lift with each routine and how to ensure that I have good form is something I always am second guessing. Also I have been using the same routine for the past 5 weeks working the muscle groups and I know it helps to mix that routine up a little bit.

I work out at home so I just got to get the confidence that I can mix it up. Bette still I really probably need to find some local lifting buddies that can help me with gaining confidence on the lifting side, even though I am lifting primarily at home.

At any rate your not alone here and like drizzyduke is eluding too...it is easy (or for me getting easier as I go forward - I am on week six now and looking back that has gone by fast). On the weight side I did start out perhaps lighter than I needed to, but foremost in my mind was not to get hurt and be out of the whole thing. So I came into the program light until I got my confidence up over the first couple weeks.

Drizzy point is right, even at week six I feel so much better and am starting to see some change...

IT IS WORTH IT! You can do it!

Just enjoy the journey and try to remember that no matter what you end up doing, it is better than where you were before you started.

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• IronyB,

I'm a veteran of BFL (nearly 3 years) and what you describe is fairly common.  I think you are doing well to have at least a foothold on two of the three key elements.  If you don't already have the book, either the original one by Bill Phillips or the more recent "Champions Body for Life", you should get one version and study it.  It is fairly easy to develop a six meal a day menu that is take from the approved foods list.  Learning to plan is a key ingredient in the program, and eventually I even learned to plan for the unexpected, like business dinners.  The cardio should go through the 6-7-8-9-10 that is right for your current state of physical conditioning, none other. I could not run the treadmill when I first started, so I did an elliptical, and it became the "go to " cardio for my fat burning.  

As I progressed, I pushed up and started doing the treadmill. Currently I run over 2 miles in the cardio workout, and did a 5K race last September in 27:45. The key is to keep pushing yourself to the next level, but be patient and be sure you're ready to advance.

You will definitely need to incorporate the 3rd element, the weight training, to transform your body shape. In the book is a description of the excercises to use.  Using dumbbells for the upper body is a nice way to start.  Presses and flys for the chest, rows for the back, seated presses for the shoulders, triceps extensions, and bicep curls or hammer curls will do fine.  If you need more information, you could pay for a trainer.  I found I didn't need one, instead I purchased the book "Dumbbell Training for Strength and Fitness": by Matt Brzycki and Fred Fornicola.  .one other.  This slim paperback has the totally best advice on how to use dumbbells safely and effectively.  For the lower body, I used weight machines and do quad extension, seated or prone leg curly, and calf flexes plus an ab crunch machine.  You can also hold dumbbells and do lunges or squats, which is very effective.  

I was a large pear shape when I started.  I lost about 40 lbs before starting BFL and became a smaller pear shape.  But then I did BFL and ended up losing another 25 lbs, and re-shaping to a slim build with shoulders wider than the waistline.  By the way, my first 3 weight training workouts I not only had the journal to record my progress, but I also had the book to study the proper techniques for each lift.  It felt funny, because weight lifting is naturally a "guy-thing", very macho and all.  But, I had to throw all those attitudes away and do it right in order to progress and eventually succeed.  I didn't mean to reply this much - for more you can read my bio.

Regards,

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium