Starting on Monday January 16th!

• Workin -

This time will be different!  I decided that I needed to look at it a different way.  I may have started many times but atleast I HAVE STARTED many times.  You add all those times up and it probably has kept me from being totally unhealthy!  Now the next goal is keeping it going...Keep up that great attitude!

Karen

• What is Chiobani?  I put Chia in my smoothies but I don't think I've hear of Chiobani.

Karen

• chiobani is a greek yogurt with 17-20 grams of carbs and 14 grams of protein with 0 fat! AND it tastes delicious!

• Where would one find chiobani? I keep hearing about it. Sounds like a good 6th meal.

• It's at all the grocery stores where I live. I think it should be widely available now that greek yogurt has become so popular. I've been buying the large tubs of vanilla zero since starting BFL. Great in the morning and would be perfect for the 6th meal too. Enjoy.

http://www.chobani.com/

• How is everyone? Is anyone else super sore? I hit legs pretty hard today, but cardio has been taking its toll on my wheels.  That said, its a good pain, and I know I'm going to have to adapt to these intense workouts.

I'm also going to have to up my nutrition strategy like I've never done before, but I have a lot to learn.  I don't feel like I'm eating enough to maintain muscle mass, but I really want to burn fat. I feel if I eat like a heavy weight, I won't lose the fat like I want.

I started this again, thinking I was going to just lose some weight and feel a little better like before, but now I see that this could really change my life and I want to do it the right way, with results that will stick this time and not go away again.

Thank you everyone, there is a real change happening in me, lets keep this up together.

Thank you Cheatday, for the "stairs" analogy, we are just at the bottom.

--Joe.

• Eating is going good for me! I actually haven't cheated at all!! I am wondering when mothers are fitting their workouts in? I have four kids 7,6, and twin 2 yr olds. I am trying to exercise after work, but I am getting tired. Any suggestions on keeping up my energy around 3:00?

• Hi All -

Wow! This looks like an amazing group - I had intended to read all the posts before writing, but when I saw how many there were, I decided to just introduce myself now and catch up on posts when I have the time.

I did the last challenge with Cheatday and the B2B crew (hi guys!!); I started well, but I crashed and burned over the holidays and then got hit with bronchitis at new years.  I am actually still recovering from the bronchitis and taking an active rest week this week, but I am trying to really focus on my eating while I rest, since that's always the biggest challenge for me anyway.

I will not be following the exercise portion of BFL because I have a big challenge of my own starting next Monday -- training for an ironman triathlon >:-O  I have done one before, but that was ten years, 25 lbs and 2 shoulder surgeries ago, so needless to say, the next 8 1/2 months (the race is 9/30) will be a lot of hard work!  I loved the group motivation of posting here, so I hope you won't mind if I tag along with you on your challenge.

I'm a personal trainer with a background in corrective exercise, so I am happy to answer exercise/injury questions if anyone has them - be patient though - January is my busiest month of the year so I don't know how much time I will have to read and post.  

Look forward to getting to know all of you!  Helen

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! -Goethe-

Discipline is remembering what you want :-)

• Hey everyone! How was your workout today? Mine was good, did Lower body. Wednesdays are the only day I don't have school.

Also, this is a serious question: is WINE allowed on BFL? :D

Check out my blog yall www.allitoddwantsahotbod.blogspot.com

Alli

• @ srbrown, and anyone else thinking about the same thing.

"And this might be something just for cheat day - but is there any alcoholic beverage that's a better choice on BFL?"

Well, I really don't think alcohol is anywhere on the list... this side of cheay day that is ;-)  I do know that for the absolute best results restricting all alcohol to just one night per week, or no booze at all is the best option. Talk about torture!!! I really had a hard time in the first 4 weeks fighting off the inner dialouges I had about, "what's one drink going to do, it's just a glass of wine". I just decided that I really wanted to lose the weight so I only allowed alcohol on Saturday night, and I really think that's what shredded off the 40lbs in my first 12 week challenge. The other things that really helped was no more sugar in my coffee and no salt or butter on anything I ate, it is all very radical at first but as your friends and family do a double take and ask questions like, "what's different with you, a hair cut or something?" you know it's paying off ;-)

When I committed to going booze free for 30 days it was because of this TED TALK, it was the start of my BFL journey back on August 1st too, I did the first 4 weeks alcohol free... the first cheat night at the end of week 4 was a dooozer.

www.ted.com/.../matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days.html

cheatday

• @ helcat

Great to have you over here Helen, I really hope you get through the bronchitis quickly and back on the training program full tilt soon.

cheatday

• I hope everyone is doing well and made it through the first three days. Mine went as good as could b expected!  I have a problem, and have had for a long time, with getting up in the middle of the night and eating. My diet has been good accept for that. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?  Any advice would b appreciated. Thanks in advance.   Tony

• I am a mom to 6 kids ages 2 to 18.  I have found I have to get up before everyone and do my thing and have some quiet time to get on the forum.  I get up at 5:20am. I do feel that slump though too at 3ish!

I figured out the problem of my feeling really dragged down with low energy earlier this week though. I was not eating enough carbs! After adding complex carbs to a meal I usually eat without I feel alot better!  Not so hard to find energy to keep going through the day.  

• Welcome Helcat,

Thank you for joining us on here. Good luck on your Ironman Triathlon!!! Get well soon too.

--Joe.

• Welcome to anyone new - this really is a great board w/ good tips, motivation and fast responses :)

@ cheatday - thanks for your experienced input. Before starting BFL I was drinking at least one drink almost every nite. I knew it was part of what was holding back my progress, esp in losing belly fat. After my half marathon (Jan 7) I said I would only drink on Fri/Sat. But that still didn't seem like enough impact. I kept my cheat day on Sun b/c I figured it would be the least likely day to go nuts drinking and we aren't likely to be out at a restaurant or bar either. I appreciate the candor and I think for the challenge it does make sense to go at it with the right attitude.

@ adg8574 - only suggestion I have is if you are up and feel you have to eat, make it something that will have as little impact on hurting your efforts as possible. I did Weight Watchers a while back, so if I was going to have an extra snack, I always chose something that was zero points - veggies.  I know veggies are a little different on this diet w/ the carb consideration though. What about the hi protein yogurt we talked about earlier, Chobani? Are you waking up at a time for your snack to be considered your 6th meal?

@ happymom6 and zips - God bless us moms taking on the challenge. It adds another degree of challenge to the whole deal in my opinion :) I have been doing the wts after work and cardio before. So far that's working ok the the kid's schedule and work. For the 3:00 slump, I've been doing a crunchy snack almost as if to wake myself by chewing! Or a cup of tea w/ caffeine.

For time saving dinners, I have been trying to find good crock pot recipes to make on days I work out after work so there isn't as much to do when we get home. Last nite's was very tasty:

Chicken breasts (frozen) I used 4

1 pack of powdered ranch dressing

1 heaping tsp of cumin, chili powder and onion powder (can prob tweak these as desired)

1 can each of black beans (drained and rinsed), corn (w/ liquid) and Rotel tomatoes (w/ liquid)

1 block of cream cheese (low fat)

6-8 hrs in crock pot on low. Shred chicken before serving.

My boss, who is in great shape for her age (over 60) and I swear could bottle her will power and sell it, said her quote of choice is: Nothing tastes as good as being in shape feels.

Happy day 5 everyone :)