ANY 40 SOMETHING FEMALES?

• Hi all,

I could really use some encouragement from the ladies of my age group although i would take any advice about the mind set on food if anyone has anything to add.  I know what to eat but i am worried about portion size.  Help!!!!!

• Hi leanerw!

Age is only a number.  I am healthier and fitter now than I was when I was 18.  

As for food, that is one of the best parts of BFL.... portion sizes are so easy.  No measuring necessary.  your meat should be the size of you palm (excluding fingers) and carbs should be the size of your fist.

If you need to quantify it more, take your weight and divide it by 6.  That's how many grams of protein and how many grams of carbs you should have in each meal..... approximately!

If you have the original book, follow those guidelines and you will do just fine!

Congratulations!

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• I'm over 40!! Good to meet you. The best thing about the eating plan is that I'm never hungry and never uncomfortably full. It's wonderful. and I love the no measuring. I use the hand fist measuring too. It's so easy. I usually don't have time for the full 6 meals but I never feel hungry or deprived. I admit I'm not really great at the eating part. I still make bad choice daily (couple of cookies here, a handful of chips there, glass of wine at nite, etc.) I know my results will be so much better when I knock that off!

• ABOUT TO START 11/31/11  CAN'T WAIT

• I'm 46!  And it is not as easy to loose as it was when I was younger.  I have two kids, 5 and 8.  I started this challenge over a year ago and I did not see a lot of change until around 8 weeks.  I wish I stuck with it then.  Went on vacation and never really got back on track.  I have always lifted weights, but let the 30 min. cardio slack a bit.  I'm starting a new challenge.  Actually I've been eating pretty good and still lifting.  I'm now committed to doing the cardio. for at least 20 min. every other day. I'm into cross fit workouts, and teach a class 3 days a week.  But I really feel that you have to get the heart pumping at least 6 days a week. ( at least 20 mins.)  This is a slow go for me. I used to be able to drop weight so much easier.  Now, not so much.  And its a bummer.  i would like to loose 20 lbs. and it is sticking to me like glue.  Just have to stick to it this time. A way to live now... Good luck to us all.

• Also, Eat lots of veggies.  

• Good to meet you too!!  When did you start and what was your progress like?  It seems always helpful to hear the truth especially when you have been on every diet plan known to man.  Anyway this did work before and i do trust it but now I can't get out of my head that I am at a much different stage in my 40's.  Is it harder or easier than you thought.  I will encourage you also when I get things going next week.  I am sure I will have more questions.  Thanks for helping LeeWhee.  Talk soon

• Hey LeeWhee,  Just remember to keep going!  I'm so disappointed I just didn't stick with it.  I got off track and then jumped on other stuff.  This week I have been making it a point to work out everyday.  Weights and cardio.  So I will say I started this week!  Last time I did this, it was slow going.  But it does work!  i had some tight pants that I used to Gage my inches.  They felt great by week 6.  I think we will see the most change in the last 4 weeks.  I'm determined to see it through and then some.  (I don't work out on Sundays)  I appreciate the encouragement you will give me as well.  And... Plenty of women have had success that are much older than us.  Just can't quit, Even if we get off track..

Caroline.    

• Hi Ladies!  I love that there is a thread just for us girlies over 40 : )  I started my BFL challenge almost two weeks ago on November 7th and am feeling great!!!  The first week was ROUGH but it is getting easier.  The cravings for sugar and processed carbs have subsided as have the awful headaches.  I am now a firm believer that you can change your habits and the way you look at food if you just stick with it through the first few weeks.  

I have about 40 pounds that I plan on removing so it will back to back challenges for me.  I am really ok with that because I am viewing this as a lifestyle change and not just a 12 week thing.  

I follow and regularly post in the "We're All In" forum under getting started.  I had never participated in any type of chat room or forum before but read about the importance of support and encouragement from many of the previous champions.  So, I went out and created a thread for anyone starting on Nov 7th.  We migrated over to "We're All In" on our start day.  If any of you ladies (just starting or already participating) are looking for support, I would love to have you follow that thread as well as this one.  I have connected with many truly amazing people so far!

@ Laura (Lady Georgia) - I have a question for you...did you use the BFL original or the BFL for Women?  I have read both and like bits and pieces from each.  So, I am curious your thoughts and what led to your championship successes.

Have a great BFL day Ladies!

~Sharon

• Hello 40 something Amazing Women!

It's Nancy from over on Sharon's We're all In"  Thread.  Please come and join us, we have a great group of committed people who encourage you to do what you need to do.  It is great to be honest on the thread and say - Hey I missed my cardio today and have someone ask you later, did you end up fitting it in.  It gives you accountability to just do it.

I agree, that it is much harder now for me to loose weight than it used to be.   Altough the weight is still hanging on so far, the inches are dropping down, so I am reshaping my body.  I think we may need to up our cardio a bit to the levels in the body for life for women book to loose more.  It may not be fair, but our hormones are telling our body to keep more weight on us.  

Has anyone invesigated or knows anything about bio identical hormones?  I am curious about it.  

So let's all support each other as we run our businesses, raise kids, keep a household, some of us a husband and oh yeah, take care of our aging parents.  We need to take care of ourselves first so we can end up doing all the rest.

Happy Sunday!

Nancy

• Hello 40 Something Women,

I am new here. Learned about the challenge in 1999 and 2000 but never completed one. In fact I don't think I ever made it past 2-3 weeks. I will start the new year for a challenge since the start dates and deadlines have all past for 2011. I will spend the next few weeks "practicing"- getting things together and planning fav meals and exercises. I am worried about the 40+ and the hormones. Have removed about 15 pounds this year but have another 80 to go. I need this structure and support. I look forward to seeing all of you and sharing success.

Ellisha

• 31 November 2011?? There are only 30 days... :-)

I'm keen to start as well, but not so sure I can "stick to it" during Christmas time...

How do you feel about it?

I could definitely do with a support system.

• I started Nov 7. I've lost 2 lbs so far. But I'm done weighing myself until maybe week 6. I've had great results with this program before and it's just a matter of sticking with it and doing the best you can. I know my results will be amazing if I stick to it perfectly but that's not my style. I want something I can live with not just for the 12 weeks but forever. So if that means I only lose 1 lb a week because I put butter on my toast or grab a handful of buffalo flavored pretzels at night then I'm okay with that. Progress not perfection.

I set aside my time from 8-9am every day for my work out. This is scheduled into my day. I set my appointments and projects around it whenever I can. It's my promise to me and I feel so great when I keep this promise to myself and I feel so successful to start the day with a check next to my most important task!

WE can do this ladies! At our age it's important to use our muscles to prevent muscle loss!

Leanne

• Ellisha,

In a few weeks you may wish you had started today. What are you waiting for? Go for it! Don't worry about hormones or holidays. Do the best you can and keep going. Jump in with both feet. It feels like you're really holding back and already stacking up your excuses. Don't. Don't be afraid and don't hold back. Just do your best every day. Plan ahead, work out, drink water and eat 6 little meals a day. No big deal. Go for it!

Leanne

• For those of you who haven't started yet...here are my thoughts...

I agree with Leanne - just do it!  Thanksgiving is just one day so it can easily be dealt with as a free day.  I am going to start my day with a hard workout and make Smart Food choices.  White meat turkey, veggies, cranberry, baked sweet potato...all allowed.  I will allow myself a small piece of dessert and not feel at all guilty about it.  

As for the holidays, yes of course they will be a challenge. So many temptations but you'll be up to it!  After completing just 2 weeks on the program, I feel confident that I will be able to comfortably pass on all of those things that got me to the point I am at now.  It doesn't take long to retrain your brain and form new habits.  By the time the Christmas holiday comes around and parties are in full swing, your brain will be retrained and you'll be equipped to handle it.  Snack or eat before going to a party.  Nosh on the veggies that usually go untouched.  Drink lots of water - pour a glass of sparkling water into the champagne glass and feel happy and confident that you are making great choices for yourself.  You never regret doing the right thing for your body :-)

You have this awesome support system to help you through it all.

GO FOR IT!!!!