Food Addict starting fresh

• Hi, I'm Deb, and I'm a food addict. Not to offend alcoholics, smokers wanting to quit, drug addicts, etc.! I am also Bi-Polar. I have done and STRUGGLED with past challenges. Actually finished 2...8 years ago after having my third child, and one this time last year, except for the fact that I was totally burned out the last two weeks. I have painfully realized that I am addicted to food...not caring what I eat, eating anything and everything. Last night I started a new challenge. I did not plan this...ate terribly all day...but finally had 'had it' and did my upperbody workout. I ate well the rest of the night. I had a feeling that I had never had before...I wanted to eat...anything...I was actually having anxiety...much like a smoker that wants a cigarette. I know b/c I used to be a smoker. I was shocked! I didn't realize that my eating had come to this. I knew that certain foods made me 'feel better', as most of us can attest. But to have anxiety about it?! To want to put anything in my mouth just for that sake of putting something in my mouth?! Serious?! Thank the Lord that I have a and always had a good metabolism and am not 100 lbs. overweight! This is going to be a long hard journey for me...to overcome this...but it is my biggest goal for this challenge. I hope I have not 'stepped on anyone's toes' saying all of this...and I hope (and believe)  I can get some support from all of you. I have been part of the forums before and everyone is such a great support and fun to 'get to know'!

Thanks for 'listening'

Next Challenge...here I come!!

Leggsmomof3

ps. I did my HIIT this morning at 6AM!!

• Hi Deb –

I totally get it; compulsive eating is one of the hardest issues to deal with because you can’t just stop eating the way you can stop drinking or smoking (I used to be a smoker too).  For me, it’s a symptom – a red flag that there are emotions I’m not dealing with.  Something that’s been helpful for me is to recognize that it’s not the food itself you’re addicted to, but the eating – and it’s a specific type of eating - for me at least, it’s all about wanting to stuff myself so that there is no room to feel anything else.  To paraphrase something a friend of mine said about drinking “eating when you’re feeling bad is bad eating.”

I go through periods of compulsive eating, and I started my current challenge 2 weeks ago after coming through a particularly rough couple of months.  Despite competing in triathlon and working as a personal trainer, I still managed to eat enough crap to gain 8 pounds in less than 2 months (and I was 15 lbs heavier than I wanted to be to start with).  These past 2 weeks have been better, but I am still really struggling.  Just pulled out a book that has helped me in the past and am thinking of doing its 30-day “retreat” again with this issue.  The book is called “Making a Change for Good” and it’s about compassionate self-discipline – eating is only one of the areas you can use it with.  

I would love to have a group on here to talk about eating issues – I have a wonderful group I’ve been posting with over at the Back 2 Back thread, but this is really the central issue for me and I think it would be helpful to talk with other people going through the same thing,

Anyone else out there who might like to join? Helen

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! -Goethe-

Discipline is remembering what you want :-)

• Hi Helen! Yes, I do have emotional baggage...and just when I think things are better, something else creeps in! So frustrating! I really like your friends quote...I'm going to write that down and keep it where I can see it!!

Tomorrow is Lower Body for me...I love it and hate it all at the same time!

Leggs~

• i too struggle struggle struggle with eating.  I suppose it's mostly emotional for me, I know it is to some extent, but I just really like the taste of almost everything (food-wise)!  Maybe i'm a compulsive taster.  

I just finished my 4th challenge one week ago.  During that week of AR, I ate anything I wanted, anytime I wanted.  I gained back 4 lbs in that one week.  So this week (AR week #2) implemented a new eating plan from Clean Eating magazine to awaken some change and ideas.  Each issue has a 2-week meal plan complete with a grocery list.  Some of their meals are too carb-heavy for BFL, but I'm learning to modify them for a better ratio.  At the end of this week, I will weigh in again to see if those 4 lbs went anywhere.  I figure it's water weight.

• Hi all,

This is a great topic and I really relate to what you said, Deb & Helen.

It is such a coincidence that I read your posts when I did.  I read the BFL book on the weekend and have planned to start on Monday. I was just sitting down for the night (it's 8.30pm here in Australia) and a storm hit that resulted in a blackout. So, I'm sitting here in the dark and I thought, "what the hell am I going to do? I have no food in the house!"  Ha!  Because, for me, times like this, when there is nothing else to do, is when I turn to food.  This time I turned on my laptop instead and, I don't believe it, the second post I read on here is yours.  And I understand exactly what you're saying. Your comments about being anxious and relating it to smoking - I used to smoke and it is exactly the same for me.  I'm anxious right now because I want to eat and can't.  If there was food in the house I would be knee-deep in it by now.  :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in calling yourself a food addict. I completely relate to that!

RickyB

• Good morning!

Ricky~Thanks! It is funny how things like that can happen...I don't take much stock in 'coincidence'. I believe things happen for a reason...God really does work in mysterious and amazing ways!

Optigirl~I'll have to look into that magazine...like I need another one...haha! Are you doing any exercise at all? I look forward to seeing what happens with that 4#s...

I've been doing really well...munched on some dry cereal in front of the tv last night...but not out of control...just enough to curb my 10:00 hunger. (I was out all last night with my kids)

Planning on doing lower body today...yes!

Have a great day guys!

Leggs~

• Hi all- You guys are so inspiring!!  I have self diagnosed myself with compulsive overeating and am disgusted.  I am blessed in so many ways...4 beautiful sons, a loving husband of nearly 20 years, I've even run a marathon last feb.  HOWEVER, my relationship with food is out of control.

I'm starting BFL today, at least the food part, looking for any tips on changing this dysfunctional relationship with food...

Best quote ever from EFL "when you place the blame of your present condition on past circumstances, you disempower your future"

Have a great day :)

• legsmom3--I'm doing a little taste of exercise classes at my gym and then fun things like trying to do handstands, headstands during AR.  Coffee Crew got me interested in trying to be upside-down (and this is completely new to me, i'm no gymnast) so it's making my routine more fun since I've been doing BFL for a year and really needed to liven things up.

• Good Morning!

How was everyone's day yesterday? Mine was...not too bad...haha! I did NOT do my LBWO like I planned, and didn't really follow any kind of an eating plan...actually there was no plan, which is why I had an 'off' day. (Fail to plan, plan to fail!) I didn't do too much damage eating tho, and didn't go overboard. In fact, last night was the first night NOT eating in front of the tv, and I didn't even try! This morning I got my butt out of bed and on the treadmill at 6:10 AM!! And, have been eating well too. I know what I am going to eat for the rest of the day (mentally) but writing it out is sooo much easier! You don't have to stare into the fridge and think...'hmmm...what should I have??' All you do is look at your plan and say...'That's what I'm having!' And also planning what time you are going to eat that meal or snack keeps you from waiting and starving all day, and then bingeing all night! I have used the BFL Success Journal before, and is a great tool! For now I am just going to use a notebook...short and simple. No more striving for perfection!

~brandymama Welcome! I like that quote too! And I would try the meal planning...it puts it on paper and out of your head. I like to write out everything before bed the night before...this for me really gets my plan in motion, and I know what my day is going to be like when I get up...I've written down what and when I'm going to workout, and what and when I'm going to eat.

~Optigirl The headstands and handstands sound fun...and also excellent core work! Have you ever tried Zumba? It is the funnest (in my opinion) exercise class you will ever take! It's a combo Latin/Hip-hop dance...very aerobic and tons of fun!! You will KNOW you worked out, and you will have had a blast doing it!!

Have a great day everyone!

~Leggs

• Hi all -

Funny thing, Deb - I am realizing that I do better when I plan less.  I am starting to realize that a piece of my overeating is rebelling against planned eating.  There is one part of me that LOVES to plan - goes a little overboard in fact - but another part of me that can't stand being told what she can and can't do (or eat)!  

This week I am experimenting with doing some overall weekly planning and organizing, and then letting it go.  I shopped well, and prepped veggies and such so they would be available, then bought a bunch of easy things to have at work (zone bars, greek yogurt).  I don't keep bars at home because I have been known to binge on boxes of them, but at work they are fine.  I also bought some small bags of microwave popcorn - I keep the box in the car (four flights down, and I am NOT an elevator person) and take out one bag after work to have as the carb for my last meal.  It seems to be helping, as I am less focused on food in general.

It's funny how different people are around food - what works for them and what doesn't.  I run an 8-week weight loss group at work that finishes tonight, and for the last week and a half I have been talking to them about what they plan to do going forward.  this is a great group, and they have all done really well (15-20 lbs a piece), but they have all lost weight before and gained it back, so I have focused a lot on "it's not about this 8 weeks; it's what you are willing to do for the rest of your life."   What's cool is they have all been pretty forthcoming about what they are going to do or not do after the program and we've had some great conversations - I feel like we have all learned that there is no one right answer.  

This really is a process, and it helps to know that even though my process may be different than someone else's, we are all working at it the best we know how.  

No exercise for me today - I'm feeling a bit under the weather.  I usually take Fridays off, but I have a little extra time tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be nice, so I will trade a treadmill interval run tonight for a long run outside tomorrow.   Happy thursday all!

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! -Goethe-

• Hi...today I went on a field trip to the zoo with my 6 yr old and planned and ate bfl style all day.  It really is about planning, isn't it?!?  By the way, my husband has been eating small meals for years and swears that its eliminated all cravings.  has anyone here done this long term in the past?

• When I first started on this 'small meals, frequent eating' thing, I felt stuffed all the time.  But now after doing it so long, I'm always hungry every few hours and still have cravings...  i wish I had what your husband has.

• leggs--I've tried Zumba, didn't really get into it, sorry.  it was fun and all.  But trying to get the choreography down, i kept losing intensity 'cuz I was so focused on doing it right and had to stop several times and try to study the instructor intently.  However, I LOVED the middle eastern parts of Zumba, that was my favorite.  I took a belly dancing class 5 years ago and would lke to do that again some time.

• Happy 11-11-11!

Just a reminder that every day is a new start :-)