***We're All In - 11/7/11***

• Good Morning Everyone!

Yippee!  got up at 5:00am and was in the gym by 5:25 and got my lower body workout done for the day.  I went to different nautilus type machines today because I am afraid of doing free weights with incorrect form.

In addition to the weights, I added weighted lunges across the aerobics room floor and back and side squats across the room.  For some reason, the lower body workout just doesn't seem that much of a workout to me.  Also, ski season is coming up and I want to increase my leg strength for that.  I think I might try to add in some plyometrics on leg day.

Upper body, I am very weak right now.  It is hard for me to find weights or machines low enough for me to use.  I had to go grab some lighter weights from the aerobics studio because I couldn't lif the ones in the weight lifting area.  

I hope this feeling of exhaustion leaves my body soon.  It is probably from waking up an hour earlier than I used to, to get the workouts in.   I have been getting to bed by 9:30 but think I may need to go even sooner.  

Topdog, your dedication is an inspiration.  I love your attitude.  You sound like a if your gonna do, do it right kind of person.  Thanks for the great example.  

Monrac,  I am looking for a bar for those times I don't have time for anything else.  I was out working and realized I didn't have a snack with me on Weds, so I stopped in the store and read the labels on a bunch of protein bars.  It seemed that all the ones with lots of protein, also had between 250 -300 calories.  I settled on the Luna protein bar at 180 calories and 12 grams protein.  This morning I had a protein shake mixed with half a bannana and fresh blueberries and water after my workout.

There is a big ski show in San Diego today so I am excited to go to that and get myself motivated my knowing that I will ski so much better if my body is strong.  

Today is 11/11/11 - Make is a great strong day!  You are worth the time and energy it takes to work out and eat healthy and so am I.

Nancy

• Day 5 is special in many ways... I turned 32 today!  Spent a wonderful day celebrating with my best friend, love of my life, and hubby, Steven and our three blessings Korea, Steven III, and Evan. I ensured that my day included my upper body workout. It was great! My focus was on form and really analyzing and listening to my body. This is a great experience :0)

This next year is going to be an awesome year of successes for me as I am very serious about becoming more healthy. So glad to be doing this with you all. I read every one's posts and get a fresh dose of inspiration every day!

Happy Friday,

Caroline *smiles*

• Well if any week tested my willingness it was this one. Awful kids at work, sick kids and sick me. I have powered through though and done my workouts. Man, the day after the LB workout, when the DOMS hit, I had to do two walking tours with my class that lasted most of the day and my legs are still sore.  Soreness is good though.

Question for the ladies in the group- when you follow the BFL system, are you doing your weights and cardio according to the BFL book, or the BFL for Women book? Just curious. I did the  BFL system my first challenge and achieved great results., just wondering if anyone is doing the other one.

Well everybody, we are almost done with our first week.  Keep up with it!

• Well, week 1 is almost over!!  I have done all my workouts and cardio and feeling great. Drinking lots of water and breaking out as the toxins are trying to leave my body!  Its all good.  I know in a week or 2 I will have phenom glowing healthy skin and lots of energy - it will come if you just stick to it.  This first week I had that awful headache but its gone now and sugar cravings can be killed with apples and natural PB.  The cardio is very difficult after taking a few weeks off - goodness!  But that too shall pass.  

Sounds like everyone is doing great, sore but hanging in there!  Keep journaling if you haven't - you will be so greatly amazed when you get a few weeks under your belt and look back at where you were.  Have you all written out goals?  I actually have not written them down yet, but its my free day today (Saturdays) and I am going to do that when I am done posting.  I need to know what direction I am going and how I am going to know when I get there.

My go to meal this week has been 1 pc whole wheat 15 grain toast, with a thin layer of lowfat cream cheese, 3 pcs turkey bacon (cooked in microwave) and topped with a layer of fried egg beaters and then  I eat it open faced. Its so great for breakfast or lunch!  

Today being my free day my first meal will be real eggs and 2 pcs toast (funny how you start to crave REAL food just more of it!) and later tonight I will have popcorn.  I love popcorn!  

Here's to becoming the BEST ME EVER!!

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." Zig Ziglar

Sally-for-Life!

• We are either progressing or retrograding all the while; there is no such thing as remaining stationary in this life.

~ James Freeman Clarke

Amen to that!  I think I will try progressing for a while.  I have been in retrograde for a few years now and it really isn't working out all so well for me!

@ Caroline - HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!  I hope that you had a great one!

My free day was yesterday.  It was Veteran's Day (we are both Army Vets) and we celebrated my husband's birthday.  His birthday was Thursday but he was out of town last night so we went out to dinner last night.  I was impressed at my change in mentality.  I scanned the menu thoroughly and made healthy choices even though I knew I could pick anything I wanted.  I did save room for a piece of dessert but didn't finish it.  All I could think was it took all week to get this junk out of my system (including the awful sugar withdrawal headaches) and I just don't want to go back to that.  We even went for a walk with our dogs when we got home to help dinner settle.  What a difference a week can make...

My husband did break some sad news to me yesterday.  He will be leaving for Afghanistan December 1st and will likely be gone for an entire year.  I have served overseas 3 different tours but this is the first time that I will be the one left at home.  My daughter will also be leaving in April for a year in Afghanistan.  That deployment we knew about and have had time to get mentally prepared for.  My husband departing in 3 weeks is a completely different story.  This news hit me hard and I had to fight the urge to comfort myself with food - really bad, sweet, sugary food.   These next few weeks before his departure and the first few weeks of the deployment will be very difficult for me.  I love that I have a solid support group with all of you!  I am as determined as ever to stick with this program and complete my back to back challenges.  I want my family coming home to a healthy, confident, strong, rockin' it, sexy me!!!!  

Have a great BFL day everyone!

~ Sharon

• Sharon,

A belated Happy Veterans day to you! The school I teach at always goes full out to celebrate the Veterans in our community.  Thank you for your service!

I know it will be difficult having your child and spouse away, just think of how amazed they will be coming back and seeing all the changes in you!

• Hello Everyone!

So today is my free day (Saturday) and I have already had chocolate, chips, and other "unauthorized" items and it's not even noon yet! And I must say, I feel like crap after eating this garbage that I've loved to devour for so many years. A part of me almost feels lost because I'm not constantly following a planned day. But I think I needed to get this out of my system. I think next week, on my free day, I will still loosely follow the program and allow myself some treats only. I'm so excited I made it this far, with head congestion the entire week and all. Bravo to everyone!

@SDNancy- thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the Luna bar. I'll try to go shopping this week and see what I find and I'll keep you posted. I also have to pick up a whey protein powder to make shakes. I looked online and it seems that the Optinum Nutrition seems to be one of the leading brands (especially for women who are looking for low cal shakes). Any thoughts regarding this, everybody?

@TopDog- "but i'm really strict when it comes to following the plan to a T.  I don't cheat, at all.  I figure if i'm going to do this and go through these brutal workouts then i'd better eat right." This is exactly what I needed to read! You are so right! When I did this program a few years ago, this is the attitude I had and it totally paid off. Good for you! You have inspired me to do the same. I will also strive to follow the plan "to a T." 

@Rockin'it- Sharon, I can't even imagine what you are going through and will be going through in the next several weeks after you daughter and your husband leave. It totally puts all the nonsensical issues I whine about daily in perspective. Please stick to this program. Not only will it give you a routine and a schedule to follow, but it will give you the emotional strength to get thru these tough times too. Much appreciation to your husband and daughter and a big, fat hug to you! If you can go through all this and make it  to 1/31/11 successfully, than so can I! Don't let me down! 

Have a great day!

• A Big Happy Birthday to Caroline!   What a great present to give yourself, the gift of your health and well being.   So glad you got to spend your special day with your family.  

Sharon, a heartfelt hug out to you.  Please know that there are so many people in this country who are very grateful for the service your family provides for us.  As a mother and a wife, I can't imagine having my child and husband gone from me and potentially in harms way.  I am praying now for their safety.  

It would be so easy for you to move into emotional eating.  We are all here to help you avoid that.    Are they going to be stationed near each other?  Hopefully your husband will be able to check in on his "little girl."  No matter how old she gets, she will still be Daddy's girl.  

On to the challenge.  After my lower body work out yesterday, I am barely sore.  Did I not work out hard enough?  I added in a Pilates class today.  It was great, she did some killer ab work.  Foodwise, I am having a very hard time fitting in 6 meals space 3 hours a part.  I don't eat until after I have worked out and showered and if I keep to the every 3 hour schedule, I will need to stay awake, just to eat.  

Mentally, that last meal/snack is hard for me.  I have spent my life thinking, don't eat right before bedtime.  Anyone else stuggling with this?  

So far, I have been doing the body for life workout.  How is the womans program different?  

Happy Saturday!

Nancy

• RockinIt

@ Caroline - HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!  I hope that you had a great one!

My husband did break some sad news to me yesterday.  He will be leaving for Afghanistan December 1st and will likely be gone for an entire year.  I have served overseas 3 different tours but this is the first time that I will be the one left at home.  My daughter will also be leaving in April for a year in Afghanistan.  That deployment we knew about and have had time to get mentally prepared for.  My husband departing in 3 weeks is a completely different story.  This news hit me hard and I had to fight the urge to comfort myself with food - really bad, sweet, sugary food.   These next few weeks before his departure and the first few weeks of the deployment will be very difficult for me.  I love that I have a solid support group with all of you!  I am as determined as ever to stick with this program and complete my back to back challenges.  I want my family coming home to a healthy, confident, strong, rockin' it, sexy me!!!!  

Sharon, I appreciate the birthday wish. It certainly was a great day!

I am honored that you shared the news about both your hubby and daughter being deployed...you are strong and we will be here to support you as best as we can!  Another BIG thank you (words can't express enough)  to you and your family for serving our country! My family and I will you keep you and  yours in our prayers!

Amazed and inspired by you!

Caroline *hugs*

• SDNancy

A Big Happy Birthday to Caroline!   What a great present to give yourself, the gift of your health and well being.   So glad you got to spend your special day with your family.

... After my lower body work out yesterday, I am barely sore.  Did I not work out hard enough? ... Foodwise, I am having a very hard time fitting in 6 meals space 3 hours a part.

Hi Nancy, thanks for the birthday wishes :0) I am looking forward to a great year and a new me!

Regarding the lower body, I found that it was harder for me to achieve the muscle burn than with my upper body workout. This wasn't surprising to me as my legs are certainly way stronger than my arms. Since I've only done the lower body once this week, I am still tweaking my weights per set. I am continuing to increase the weights  until I really feel like I am working during the workout. Contrary to how I felt during the workout, I can say that I did feel quite sore the day after. Especially the glutes!

My biggest struggle is getting the meals in as well! I didn't realize how hard eating more often would be. I am slowly but surely stocking my office with healthy munchies. Writing this now, I also realized I need to keep some in the car as well. Let's keep working on this together!

Caroline *smiles*

• I almost felt the pressure to skimp out on Day 6's workout, but I pushed through and my hubby, kiddies, and I did a 20 minute Zumba session that focused on ab work. I feel victorious and accomplished! Now if I could only get with it in regard to my grad school work...

My eating plan isn't the best right now, but I know that I doing way better than what I have done in the past. I am confident that I will still see results. As I move forward, I will start making life style changes one meal  at a time :0)

Be in touch soon BFL family!

Caroline *smiles*

• “Change is often rejuvenating, invigoration, fun... and necessary.”

Enjoy your free day all and congrats on completing week #1!  

Thank you all for your inspiring and supporting posts.  I do feel rejuvenated and invigorated.  It hasn't always been a fun week but it is definitely been necessary.  While our group appears to grow smaller, those dedicated and committed will continue to grow stronger!  If you are still out there, struggling in silence, please stay with us.  Reach out, post, ask, make a connection...together anything is possible. Progress not perfection!

Looking forward to week 2 with all of my new BFL friends : )

• Week 2 starts tomorrow, I have my meals and workout all planned out, just hoping my body cooperates. I have been fighting a cold, and it knocked me out for free day.

Here is hoping for a much better week 2!

• Wanted to wish a belated Happy Birthday to Caroline!  And to Sharon, thank you to you and your family for your service.  My heart goes out to you knowing that your husband and daughter will both be deployed soon...I can only imagine how tough that will be for you.  I hope that you will stay strong and be ready to wow them upon their safe return!  God bless the USA!

I couldn't sleep so I was up at 4am and already got my lower body workout in.  I did pretty well last week but unfortunately on Friday I had a pretty nasty stomach bug so I missed my workout and hardly ate anything.  Thankfully it only lasted 24 hours so Saturday I was able to get my cardio in.  As for my cheat day, I didn't really do that bad, had a couple of pieces of candy after dinner and 2 glasses of wine...the rest of the day I still ate pretty healthy...although not necessarily 6 times over the day.

Good luck to all this week!  I am off to get ready for work.

• Day one week 2. How are we all doing out there. Went to the Penn State game this weekend. Did a real good job eating correctly in a tough environment. Instead of sitting and drinking and eating until I could not move like I usually do we decided to go for a walk and take in all the sites. With all that is going on at Penn State it was quite the experience. We walked for about 2 hours before the game.

Did my lowerbody today. I kind of dogged it. Looking forward to getting back on track with eating today.

The one thing I found was that after eating well all week that when I did eat some bad foods on my free day it quickly made me feel terrible.

Any ideas for quick breakfast meal that doesn't involve eggs?

Good luck in week 2 everyone! "

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION! keep the faith.